Hi: Have had an Epiphone Les Paul Standard for about 6 months. I'm having trouble creating vibrato on it. Have a Fender that I have no problem with vibrato. Vibrato on the Epiphone ceases very quickly. Am I "choking" it to death? Pressing too hard on the string? Not on or too much on a metal fret?

Thanks
If the note is choking, something is killing the energy in the string. If the guitar is properly setup, then there's something in your technique with that guitar that's causing problems. The most likely being that you are releasing the string (taking pressure off holding it down). And that could come from too heavy gauge strings, or too high action. The more these come into play, the more you need to introduce supporting fingers to the fretting finger, and the more you need to use your bigger muscles (wrist, forearm).

Another possibility is thet finger tip is flattening down, so more of the finger print area is coming into play on the fretboard, and hence reducing the pressure at the tip to hold the string down properly during the vibrato. This can be exacerbated at the frets near the body.

Check out http://www.ambaedu.com/shaun-baxter-guitar-techniques/ for an excellent video on vibrato. This guy is a top player in the UK.

Does a fretted note ring clean and take a long time to die away, without using vibrato?

Is the problem everywhere, or just at certain frets (or range of frets)?

Same gauge strings and action as other guitars?

Same fret wire height and width?
Last edited by jerrykramskoy at Jul 29, 2016,
what fender is it?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?