I need help with some amp settings for a warren demartini/ Ratt tone on my peavy Vypyr. I've gotten sorta close but it's not clean enough and then when I make it clean not enough gain. What settings would you guys suggest? Thanks!
He used SLO's a lot and the closest amp to that on the Vyper is the 6505 model. Try that one.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by JS122615
I need help with some amp settings for a warren demartini/ Ratt tone on my peavy Vypyr. I've gotten sorta close but it's not clean enough and then when I make it clean not enough gain. What settings would you guys suggest? Thanks!

I'd be more inclined to go with one of the marshall style models. you also may have to look at yourself playing wise as he used less gain than you might think. don't forget to add in a little delay for leads as well. make sure your picking is really precise for lead playing and if you do you may find that you need less gain than you thought. the 6505 model is more of a modern tone than was used (but could work).
It depends on the era of Ratt were talking about. From 1983 to 1987 he used Marshalls, from 1988 until now he's been using Soldano SLO's, so pick your favorite and move accordingly.
Gear:
1987 Charvel Model II
2010 Carvin ST300C
1990 Charvette 100
1991 Ibanez RG560M
2006 Fender Mexi Strat
Jackson/Charvel Star W/ Custom Graphics.
Ovation CP 247 Acoustic
Line 6 POD HD Pro X
Pro Tools 9

Tutorial: Studio Quality Programmed Drum Sounds
So the 6505 model would work but might be a little to modern? Any other suggestions for a setting that would sound close to his Marshall rig and his Soldano Rig? Also what would be my best bet to make the clean but distorted sound?
Quote by JS122615
Any idea on EQ settings?

I find on MOST amps, I can find that 80s sound somewhere around LOW 5 / MID 3 / HIGH 9 or 10. With the Pre half to 3/4 the way up depending on the amp. I use a 6505+ currently as my main amp with a 412 loaded with V30 clones and I have no issue getting that tone. I play a lot of RATT, Motley Crue, Poison, ECT.
Last edited by Xander_X at Nov 17, 2016,
Quote by JS122615
So the 6505 model would work but might be a little to modern? Any other suggestions for a setting that would sound close to his Marshall rig and his Soldano Rig? Also what would be my best bet to make the clean but distorted sound?

A 6505 model would be too much IMO.

Use a Marshall model, crunch it up, EQ to taste. Start with everything at 5 and go from there.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
The green channel on the 6505 model may work - that's basically a boosted Marshall. The red channel would be too much.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
metalmingee yeah I don't even use the red channel. Even for Metallica. I'll throw a mild OD in front of the green channel sometimes to tighten it up
Thanks! I've been putting it on crunch channel the orange one so that's probably my problem. I read in an interview with Warren were he said he puts the bass on 0 is that a good idea for a modeling amp?
Quote by JS122615
Thanks! I've been putting it on crunch channel the orange one so that's probably my problem. I read in an interview with Warren were he said he puts the bass on 0 is that a good idea for a modeling amp?

if the resulting tone is what you want then sure. experiment though as different amps behave differently. just because a player sets his amp a certain way doesn't mean that it will work for you or you doing it will result in similar tone.
Ratt really is the golden standard when it comes to the 80s metal, Marshall sound. I read once they went through dozens of heads on each of the first 2-3 albums before finding the right sound. I would say record a favorite Ratt lick and compare it to the record, then adjust and repeat. Maybe with the computer software, depending on how new your amp is, you could download patches others have made,
My guess would be the Plexi mode.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Mine doesn't have a a plexi setting. I have the VIP 1
Last edited by JS122615 at Nov 19, 2016,
i haven't tried it but i would guess the butcher
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
british or butcher, but not in that order.

i'd try gain on 7-8, treb 5-7, mids around 4, bass probably between 2-5 but don't hold me to that.

master to allowed volume of circumstance.

guitar set on bridge humbucker, vol and tone probably at 10.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
surely someone has a vypyr ratt clip. it's a staple around here cough 311 cough.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.