Hi!

I'm new to the guitar and am really motivated to learn but I can't even get something as simple as an A or D chord right (can't get three fingers inside the frets, hitting multiple strings..). I'm wondering whether my hands are just too big for the guitar (I'm 6"7). Any adivce is appreciated!

Picture: http://imgur.com/SqCZqCb
Odds are good that- with time and practice- you will acclimate to playing a standard-sized guitar, and may even find that your size is an asset when doing some of the chord structures that some of us struggle to reach because of the span of our hands. And you may gravitate towards baritone or extended range guitars (7+ strings) with their longer scale lengths.

OTOH, Jericho is a maker of guitars designed with the larger-handed player in mind. Most of theirs are a 26.9" scale- comparable to some baritones- but are seemingly supposed to be played in standard tuning.
http://www.jerichoguitars.com
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Your hands would need to be really big to stop you playing guitar. Having a hard time with chords is normal when you're starting out, and while it's possible big hands will give you problems with really cramped stuff like an open A chord there's really not that much it will prevent you doing in the grander scheme of things.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Quote by K33nbl4d3
Your hands would need to be really big to stop you playing guitar. Having a hard time with chords is normal when you're starting out, and while it's possible big hands will give you problems with really cramped stuff like an open A chord there's really not that much it will prevent you doing in the grander scheme of things.

So, looking at the picture you would say this guitar is fine for me and I should just keep practicing?
Quote by Shovez
So, looking at the picture you would say this guitar is fine for me and I should just keep practicing?
Probably. It's really impossible to tell when you're just starting out because so many things seem impossible that will become manageable fairly early on. If, say a month or two further down the line, you still can't fret a convincing A or D chord at all, it may be worth looking into other options. Looking for a different guitar because you can't do something in the very early stages of your playing is not likely to solve your problem and is likely to be a waste of money.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
There are some big guitarists out there who DO use longer scale guitars, like Brian Carroll, aka Buckethead. However, you're just as likely to see guys like Vigilante Carlstroem of the Hives, who dwarfs the normal scale guitars he plays...

That's an Epiphone Crestwood, scale length 24.75"...which is less than the likely 25.5" scale of your Yamaha Pacifica.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jul 29, 2016,
Being a 1.60m dwarf, I had the opposite problem when I started to play the guitar.
My hands felt too short and I really struggled to do chords. I couldn't stretch my hand AND press down the strings with enough force. I just muted them.
However, after a few weeks of playing those problems vanished and even chords that need lots of finger stretching aren't a problem at all anymore.
What I want to say with that:
Almost everyone struggles when he starts to play the guitar
Short people think that their hands are too tiny, tall people think that their hands are too big.
Medium-sized people may think that they just aren't talented enough or whatever else excuse they can think of.
99% of the time, none of that is true.
Playing the guitar is frustrating at the beginning but you will eventually get used to it and figure out how to play those chords.
Muscle memory is the key and you can only build it up if you practice.
Last edited by juvion at Jul 29, 2016,
Your hands are actually smaller than mine. I wear XXL glove sizes and they're a bit small on me.
I can play a 24.75" scale just fine, with a nut width of 1 9/11th" (70's L6S). Takes a bit of practice.

You'll probably find that you do best on guitars with very low action and that you play best with a light touch. This helps keep you from hitting adjacent strings. It takes a bit of practice to get precise with things, just as it takes some practice to hit the keyboard accurately on small smartphones. You may be more comfortable on guitars with a wide nut width (there are some out there with 1 3/4" nut widths) and 25.5" scales. There's a bit more room on guitars with a 27" scale (and you can still be playing in E standard). Jim Soloway built a number of guitars with necks with a 1 13/16ths" nut width that maintained that extra 1/8th" all the way to a custom-built bridge. VERY comfortable to play.
Looking at that picture I'd say you should be fine, just keep prracticing and have some patience.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

just buy a guitar with a wide neck ..... I have electric 25.5 scales from 1 5/8 to 1 3/4 string spacing at the nut .... if your hands are to big for the 1 3/4 then you need a Classical guitar to learn on
Last edited by Fumble fingers at Jul 29, 2016,
Hi, there's nothing wrong with your hands, the guitar isn't an instant pickup - it takes a while to get used to it and getting the hang of fretting even a simple chord cleanly takes time, it's the same for everyone, you're not alone.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I have giant hands and I usually play skinny necked Fender guitars like Kurt Cobain did. Just keep practicing, you'll get it. If it's really that uncomfortable, maybe you want a guitar with a thicker and wider neck profile.
My Current Mains
- 1996 Fender Jag-Stang with EMG Pickups
- 1998 Fender Jaguar with Cool Rails
- 1982 Hondo Paul Dean II (DiMarzio Super II X2)
- 2010 "Fender" Jazzmaster (Home built)
- 2013 Squier VM Bass VI (stock)