HI there,

As you can tell by the title, I am having great difficulty finding my vocal range. I'm a middle school female and I'm in chorus. I'm not a great singer, but I do it for fun. (Ex- play along to songs, write originals, etc.) I understand music, I know what all the terms mean, but I cannot find my vocal range. I assume that I am somewhere from G1-G4, but you'll have to tell me if that is even possible. I'm guessing that that's correct, because I can sing all three parts of our choral music. (Soprano, Alto, Bass, or SAB)

When I try to find my vocal range, I sit down at the piano and do a few practice songs to get warmed up, then I start to try to find my lowest note. I'll sing a G for example, then try to figure out which octave it's in. This is when the trouble comes... I decide that it's definitely a G, but then I can't decide if it's a G1 or G2. Either way, it sounds like I'm singing the right note. I know I'm not changing pitch because I've tried recording myself singing a note, then trying to decide what octave it's in, and that didn't work either.

I have no issue finding my highest note (G4), but I need some tips and opinions to try to decide on my vocal range. My speaking voice is very low for my age if that helps. Honestly, all I need to know is if you guys think that G1 is even possible for me to sing.

Thank you!
Record yourself.

I highly doubt G1 is what you want to say. A4 is tuning A, C4 is middle C on the piano, E4 is the highest open string on a standard-tuned guitar.
I doubt many guys in the world can even approach a G1 in chest. You'd need a long as hell vocal tract in addition to really thick vocal chords to get that in chest voice. It measures roughly 49hz. You could probably do it using a really well controlled vocal fry, but that's a different thing all together. It doesn't count as your 'singing' voice. Also G4 is not very high for a girl, you probably have not bridged into head voice at this point yet. I'm a high tenor and can get solid F#5s in head voice or very light mix.
Last edited by GoldenGuitar at Jul 29, 2016,
Quote by zackk
seriously though, listen to DaliLama.
Quote by Arthur Curry
My spidey sense tells me some mothafuckas are gonna be BANNED.