Hey everyone glad to be here. I have always read the forums over the years but it's time to sign up now that I'm finally getting back out and playing live. I've done some searches but most of the stuff I've found is pretty old so I want to get a new thread going and I have 2 major questions:

1. I'm looking for something around 18-25 watts either 1x12 or just a head that is really a jack of all trades amp so I can do my open jams and some small gigging. I have so many amps and I want to clean out the collection a bit because most of them are too big and too heavy and too loud anymore. I've got a super champ x2 and honestly that thing rocks for what it is, but I need a little something more and would prefer it to not really be all modeled as there still is something missing with modeled tones in my opinion.

I've been seriously looking at the Randall MTS line because it has the modular inserts. Anyone have any experience with this or other similar devices? Any thoughts on them? There is also a new huges and kettner tubemeister that looks like it can do a lot and obviously there's mesa's which I'm also kinda interested in.

So that's part A of this question. Part B is that I have actually built a couple of amp kits and REALLY enjoyed it. Those will end up being the amps I keep in the long run actually along with a 1980 Princeton Reverb. With all of the above requirements of versatility, are there any kits that are out there that are the multi-variety jack of all trades types of kits? Does anyone make a mesa style kit or anything like that? I'm very much out of the loop with technology and gear. I also saw that new line6 helix is supposed to be pretty awesome and can fill in some gaps. I'd really prefer to build my own amp because there is something about it, that's for sure, so any help there would be awesome.

So question 2 may not really fit this particular forum but might be an easy answer for someone:

I'm trying to set up a small recording thing that I can mic up my amp, vox and so forth just to lay down some music and also have some way of inserting some basic background music. I bought a cheapo USB interface thing about 10 years ago and the software sucks and I just don't like it and would prefer something a little more robust that I can even use with a smaller band. I have a decent laptop I can commit so that part is covered. I just want something I can easily put down some tracks, overdub, and mix together with levels, effects, and panning without too much hassle. Any ideas there?

Thanks in advance for taking your time and I look forward to being part of the community now that I'm back in our crazy little world of music. Hope everyone has had a great week and I look forward to your responses.

-Chet
The MTS amps actually get a good bit of love around here because they are both flexible AND all-tube.

IIRC, they come in 20w, 50w and 100w flavors and would probably get you where you want to be if you got the right modules.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Arby911

Thanks for the reply. My research has been spot on then if others seem to be liking them. Is there any benefit of going with a 50 watter over a 20 in terms of features/ power soak ability and so forth? Any recommendations on modules?

What are some good places to buy gear nowadays? I havent bought anything new on a major scale in at least 5 years. Also are there any other of those modular style amps that i can compare to?

Im still very interested in building something too though so please let me know if you know of anything!

Thanks again for the input and in definitely lookin forward to hearing more.

Chet
50 watts will give you better headroom. for gigging, personally, i don't like going under 50 watts if i need cleans. in reality that is overkill, but that is just me.

as far as modules go they look pretty cool, but most of what i have heard on them (cathbard especially), have been on boutique modules, which come with a price. honestly i haven't tried one, but i can see it being a good option.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
trashedlostfdup

Thanks man. Ive got a few 50 watters and even a vox ac30 and for 90% of intents snd purposes they are just too much especially since most places in Austin are Miced up anyways. It sounds like other than headroom there arent any feature differences then which is cool. Im starting to lean more towards it then. I wonder if I could satisfy my want to build with making modules then?

Still also wondering if there are alternatives to the randall?

Any recs on an easy to use multitracking system? I honestly miss having the physical 4 track so maybe theres something thats a dedicated unit instead of the computer?
Quote by csiniawski1
trashedlostfdup

Thanks man. Ive got a few 50 watters and even a vox ac30 and for 90% of intents snd purposes they are just too much especially since most places in Austin are Miced up anyways. It sounds like other than headroom there arent any feature differences then which is cool. Im starting to lean more towards it then. I wonder if I could satisfy my want to build with making modules then?

Still also wondering if there are alternatives to the randall?

Any recs on an easy to use multitracking system? I honestly miss having the physical 4 track so maybe theres something thats a dedicated unit instead of the computer?

as far as the modding modules yourself, i have no idea. i have built amps and am always building pedals, i am sure its doable, but i haven't really heard much on people doing it. jaded faith and salvation are two of the big modders IIRC.

its worth a look at least.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
The RM20 has only one module bay. The RM22 has two. The RM50 has two. The RM100 has three.
The RM100 is the pick of the crop.
However the RM20/22 is the only one with a recording output, complete with a cab sim and silent mode. It works fairly well really.

As for modules, here is where I buy mine:

http://salvationmods.com/index.php?page=modifications
http://www.jadedfaithmods.com/mts-mods.html

There's an MTS thread here too.
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1188551
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jul 30, 2016,
There is a fair bit of info on the web that you could use to modify stock modules as well. I personally modded my Recto module (when I had my RM) to be tighter and a bit more "alive" as well. The RM series is definitely a good way to go, though you have to buy used.

Other options that are a good idea: the Mesa Mark V (or the newer lower wattage models, there is a 25 and 35 watt model) or another Mark, there is the Mesa Roadster/Roadking, Marshall JVM, VHT/Fryette Sig:X, I liked the Egnater Vengeance and the Armageddon... Etc.

Lots of good versatile amps out there.

As far as amp kits for these types of amps, I don't think you will find much. Because of how complicated they tend to be on the inside, tracing them out and developing a kit for them would be prohibitively expensive for most companies offering kit products, not to mention it would be VERY difficult to build a lot of these guys without using PCBs.

For places to look at gear, I prefer Reverb. A great place online to buy new or used, and their are very few things you can't find there. Guitar Center is pretty lousy in my opinion, the last few purchases I've made have been shit shows, and there ones prior weren't exactly great experiences... I'm also fond of Sweetwater, very good customer service.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.