Page 1 of 2
Looking into making a custom 4x8 cab for a modded Peavey Vypyr 15 combo, I've been looking at celestion eight15's or Jensen Mod 8's, anyone have experience with these speakers or any other good smaller speakers. the sound I'm going for is more classic rock and some country chicken picking
The only ones I can really find that seem good are the Jensens, as Tony said, but I am also interested to hear what others say. Also curious about 6" speakers for a practice amp upgrade...
Last edited by Invader Jim at Jul 29, 2016,
Quote by Invader Jim
Also curious about 6" speakers for a practice amp upgrade...
IMHO 6" speakers are worthless for guitar. The E-6 is about 81Hz. 6" speakers won't reproduce that fundamental, plain and simple. When you play the E-6, all that you're really hearing is the 160Hz octave harmonic.

Quote by MindInMyOwn89
Looking into making a custom 4x8 cab for a modded Peavey Vypyr 15 combo, I've been looking at celestion eight15's or Jensen Mod 8's, anyone have experience with these speakers or any other good smaller speakers. the sound I'm going for is more classic rock and some country chicken picking
I think a 4 x 8" cabinet would have a lot of novelty factor, and a shitload of midrange honk. If that's what you're looking to accomplish, party on. The frequency response and low frequency roll off characteristics would be the same as a single driver, although granted, you would be pushing a lot more air overall.
\
ALSO: (And this is very important), yoiu don't have the same range of available impedances in eights, as you do in other sizes. You have one speaker with one imperdance per model, and that's it. Which makes wiring multiple speaker enclosures with eights, very tricky!

2 x 10" would likely push as much air as the 4 x 8", and go down a bit deeper in the bass. If you want some of that earsplitting, edgy, and brittle Tele twang, you could always hang a wide dispersion horn tweeter in the cabinet. Although, make sure the crossover network has a "dial-me-down-some" control, since you're likely to get too much of a good thing.

Quote by Tony Done
I'll be interested in the replies. I've been thinking about a Jensen C8R 4 ohm as a replacement in my Epi VJ to get a brighter, tighter sound.
For a very lengthy reason, Ive been investigating 8" driver for some time, and have come to a few conclusions.

The Jensen Alnico model is more than likely a ripoff. The magnet is not worth 3x the price of the MOD 20 8".

A lot of the speaker reviews you'll see on eights in general, are people replacing 70's Fender OEM speakers in the ubiquitous original Fender "Champ".

As a result, you have to take some of the reviews with a grain of salt, as the magnets in the OEM speakers have likely degaussed somewhat over the years. I think you'd see an improvement, just not as much as that situation presumes or presents. It helps to think of 8" guitar speakers as, "repair parts", more so than an upgrade.

Although, I did find this Eminence: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/eminence-patriot-8-lead-rhythm-guitar-speaker at about $65.00 US.

It does have a hemp cone, (very groovy), and the rated SPL, 96Db @ 1 watt, is a bit higher than Jensen's product..

Here's a review on the, "4 best 8" speakers", which is sort of a slam dunk, as there aren't too many more than 4 on the market anyway.
http://www.songsimian.com/best-8-inch-guitar-speaker-review/ And like I said, ignore the Jensen Alnico.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Jul 30, 2016,
Captaincranky

Thanks, that review is very helpful.

I've done "bright"mods on the Epi VJ circuitry, but the current OEM speaker still sounds very warm and woolly when I compare it side-by-side with the H&K, especially in the bass. I'm assuming that the limiting factor is now the speaker, and I'm looking for something that will brighten it up a bit.

From the info in your links, it still looks like that C8R or the Mod 8, if they do a 4 ohm version. I can actually get those Jensens cheaper here in Oz than you would pay in the US.

I agree about alnicos, and I don't think that they would deliver what I want anyway
Hi,

I bought my Epiphone Valve Jr. combo with Hotrod mod.. i upgraded the stock speaker to Jensen C8R and they sound really nice.

Is this the same mod you did? thanks.
I have Washburn guitars 'Maverick Series' and bass 'Bantam Series' and a few pedals and amps, but man I wish to have more patience and drive practicing my playing, if it's equal to the modding itch, then I'm golden.
psp742

That looks a lot like mine, except the switches are in a different place.

Mine is version 1, dating from mid-2005, and has had a lot done to it - bigger caps, filament rectifier etc. It isn't a Hot Rod mod, but it has two on-off-on bright switches each with two caps for two levels of brightness. One is in the C3 slot, the other across the volume pot. The one across the volume pot acts like boost as well as tone control.

I ordered a Jensen C8R 4 ohm for it yesterday, as I'm pretty well convinced that the limiting factor for tone now is the stock speaker.
Weber is also a good place for replacement speakers in uncommon sizes and good build quality. I prefer the Weber ceramics to the Jensens.
http://www.tedweber.com/
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Aug 7, 2016,
Quote by Cajundaddy
Weber is also a good place for replacement speakers in uncommon sizes and good build quality. I prefer the Weber ceramics the Jensens....[ ].....
That's a great link! Assuming someone is not going to be satisfied with anything other than alnico, Those Weber alnico 8's are half the price of the Jensen equivalent!
Quote by Tony Done
Cajundaddy

I can see that there might e better options in Weber, but price and availability were considerations in my case. Jensens are significantly less here than in the US, and postage is also less

Weber speakers are made in Indiana and the 8" ceramics are only $33 US. No Idea what pricing is like in OZ. I have had good results with Jensen ceramic 12" also but I think Weber is a good option at a competitive price if you can get them.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Aug 7, 2016,
Quote by Cajundaddy
Weber speakers are made in Indiana and the 8" ceramics are only $33 US. No Idea what pricing is like in OZ. I have had good results with Jensen ceramic 12" also but I think Weber is a good option at a competitive price if you can get them.
It's just a wild guess, but I'd tack +30% onto the US price just to get them there.

Carvin's stuff is supposedly particularly nasty as an export. I've heard at minimum double for it in the UK.

As always, I could use some help with the fact checking..
Last edited by Captaincranky at Aug 7, 2016,
^ I dunno about Australia (I think he's in Australia) but in the UK the webers are a lot more money. You can order direct but the postage, VAT/customs etc. bring the price up a lot as well. Jensens are pretty cheap here, the 8 and 10 inch ceramics are normally around £30-£40.

Haven't checked the carvin prices in a while but unless something has changed they're a lot more here than in the USA.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yes, I'm in Oz, and as far as I have been able to find out, I would have to import from the US. - The website of the importer is down.

As an example, you quote US$33, which is about Oz$45, for the Weber, then I would have to pay international freight I wouldn't be charged tax or duty. The Jensen C8R cost me Oz$70 including postage, and any possible problems would be easier resolved with a local supplier. The Weber specs look good though.
Tony Done I'm not exactly sure how you're ca;cu;ating the "Jensens are cheaper in Oz than they are in the US: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/jensen-c8r-25w-8-replacement-speaker/665001000000484?cntry=us&source=3WWRWXGP&gclid=CjwKEAjw26C9BRCOrKeYgJH17kcSJACb-HNA8IGqthmvZA5h5i1IL601GBUy1wN-xIBa_EmwfDEgdRoCaSTw_wcB&kwid=productads-adid^92769201987-device^c-plaid^147877954107-sku^665001000000484@ADL4MF-adType^PLA but I am more than willing to listen.
just wondering out loud , aren't there any company in Australia that make good quality speakers? sound great but don't break the bank.
I have Washburn guitars 'Maverick Series' and bass 'Bantam Series' and a few pedals and amps, but man I wish to have more patience and drive practicing my playing, if it's equal to the modding itch, then I'm golden.
Quote by psp742
just wondering out loud , aren't there any company in Australia that make good quality speakers? sound great but don't break the bank.
The problem isn't with the speaker manufacturers, it's with, (at current time), an unfavorable monetary exchange rate, and also the physical location of Australia & New Zealand. (Shipping costs)

They've mostly solved the acoustic guitar issue with local makers Cole Clark and Maton made there.

However, while every country in the world would like to be self sufficient in all their needs, it just isn't so.
i think I remember cath saying there was an australian company which made good greenback clones. lorantz i think (their website seems to be down currently). I haven't tried them, so I dunno what they're like.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
yeah just because they're made locally doesn't always mean they're cheap
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah just because they're made locally doesn't always mean they're cheap
They most likely use the same "excuses" Martin, Gibson & Fender USA do. "We use the smelliest paint, the best woods ever, and have overpaid workers.

Which is why Fender, Martin, & Gibson all have import lines. Ports of call, Indonesia, Indonesia, Mexico, Korea (?) etc. Now as soon as Lorantz learns how to import stuff.......(That's mean, I shouldn't say that).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Tony Done
Nothing we make is cheap. - We have an import duty on guitars (maybe only acoustics) to protect Maton and Cole Clark.
"Cheap" is such an ugly word, with qualitative connotations. How about if we go with, "inexpensive", which gets the point across with much less implied stigma.

The quality is excellent, there isn't a hint of cost cutting or cheapish feel anywhere in, on, or about the product. "Our, (blah, blah), practically oozes quality, now, and will continue to do so now, for a long time into the future. Thus, our (blah, blah), must be considered 'inexpensive', when viewed in relation to its projected lifespan. Sure, you can buy something "cheaper", but it will never stand the test of time as well as our (blah, blah), which one day, may evolve into a treasured family heirloom.

Now, I hope that makes all of you disgusted with yourselves worrying about price.

BTW, I can get the Jensen 8" Mod ceramic speakers for $32.00 US free shipping....
Captaincranky

OK, everything we make is expensive, but some of those old Matons were pretty cheap too. One could never argue with their ability to withstand our climate and the test of time though. Years ago I saw one remarkable old Maton Messiah that the been under water in a flood for an extended period. All the finish was gone, many joints were separated and the timber was warped, including the top. It was still easily payable though.

EDIT. I looked at the specs for the Mod, and they didn't seem to be as close to what I was looking for as the C8R.
Last edited by Tony Done at Aug 11, 2016,
Quote by Tony Done

OK, everything we make is expensive, but some of those old Matons were pretty cheap too. One could never argue with their ability to withstand our climate and the test of time though. Years ago I saw one remarkable old Maton Messiah that the been under water in a flood for an extended period. All the finish was gone, many joints were separated and the timber was warped, including the top. It was still easily payable though.
Well, I learn something new every day. Not only did I not know that Crocodile Dundee even played the guitar, let alone that it was a Maton.....
Quote by Tony Done
EDIT. I looked at the specs for the Mod, and they didn't seem to be as close to what I was looking for as the C8R.
Yeah, probably about $8.00 US less than you were looking for....

But seriously, the C8R has about double the magnet weight and a lighter cone mass, both of which likely contribute to its more aggressive sound.

You've probably seen them, but here's the link to Jensen's pages on both speakers anyway.

https://www.jensentone.com/mod_series/mod_8_20

https://www.jensentone.com/vintage_ceramic/c8r
Last edited by Captaincranky at Aug 11, 2016,
Captaincranky

Yes, I saw those specs thanks. It was the description of the bass response that was the deciding factor, because the bass sound of the current speaker is what distinguishes it unfavourably from the H&K.

The new speaker should arrive fairly soon, before I install it I will do some comparisons between the H&K and the old speaker, then try the new one without changing any of the settings.
take photos before you start in case you forget where the wires go
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
also watch you don't cut yourself on the tubes. if they're in the way, taking them out might be handier and safer.

(not sure why but it won't let me edit that last post )
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Tony Done
Speaker arrived yesterday, installing it today. Is there anything I need to know, apart from how to use a screwdriver?
Well, turn the amp off first. It's not as critical with a tube amp since you don't have an open or short circuit, (output transformer takes care of that). But, we don't want you burning your fingeys , or lighting up like a Christmas tree.

Other than that, hook the positive lead to the positive terminal on the speaker. If you get past that, the negative terminal is the only one you have left.

The positive terminal on the loudspeaker indicates the cone will be moving outward when a positive current is applied to it.

If you intentionally hook it up backwards, you can suck the bass and a lot of tone out of your mate's amp as a practical joke. Playing by yourself, it doesn't really matter.
Quote by Tony Done
I just had a look. The terminals are indeed stamped + and -. I didn't notice them when I first checked it.
In home audio, the speakers and crossover network are polarized, and polarity is maintained out to the cabinet terminals. If you hook the wires up to one speaker backwards, you will suck the bass out og the system and I believe tamper with vocal centering as well. I think the technical term is, "it will sound like shit".

But, speaker polarity in a monaural system, should make no difference whatsoever.

Should you be playing, "out of phase" with someone, when the two of yu hit the same note, the sounds will tend to cancel one another out. God's honest truth.
Quote by Tony Done
...[ ].... Even in a guitar with piezo and magnetic pickups, the effect of the phase button is fairly subtle.
When you're playing with high gain and similar pickups or two coils of the same pickup out of phase, the effect is much more pronounced.

An out of phase piezo and mag system, don't have quite as much overlap, and hence it probably isn't as noticeable. However, you will blunt the bass response quite a bit, and eliminate feedback. And since you're not normally playing on nothing but the bottom two strings, the effect does get lost a bit.
I accidentally ran across this on one of my "dry shopping trips" to Musician's Friend. It's a "travel didgeridoo": http://www.musiciansfriend.com/folk-traditional-instruments/meinl-travel-didgeridoo?pfm=sp

Anyway, I figure this could open the door to an "acoustic electric didgeridoo". I sort of scared myself with that concept, as I have no idea how frightening something like this could sound played through a Marshall stack......
Captaincranky

Yes, the effect is very noticeable with two magnetics.

OK, I've installed the new speaker, no problem. I did the sound comparison with the H&K, as noted above. The old one was a bit warmer than the H&K, the new one is brighter, on the same bright amp settings, as I had hoped.
Page 1 of 2