I'm really thinking about buying a PRS SE Custom 24 in tobacco sunburst, but I've never owned a PRS or a Paul Reed Smith and I'm not sure yet if it's the best choice for me. Let me explain.

I need a "go to guitar" to pick up and play whenever I feel like it. For this purpouse I recently bought a Fender Telecaster standard that I really like, but I found out it's just a very different beast from what I need it to be. Right now I mostly play high-gain stuff: some beginner blues, classic rock, punk-rock, grunge and even a bit of metal. The Telecaster is very versatile but it's just not made for those genres, and I always find myself wanting a fuller tone.

In other words, I'd like a great guitar that plays great and it's as versatile as it can be, but very well-versed for those genre of music I like to play. Also, I can't seem to find which kind of frets does the SE Custom 24 have. I like medium jumbos the most, but I can still manage with jumbos. Not bigger than those! I had a LTD EC-1000 with Extra Jumbo frets and I absolutely hated them!

I put beforehand that I probably will not be able to try the guitar before buying it. So, do you think the SE Custom 24 is the guitar I'm looking for?

Thanks a lot!
Ekam Sat
2012 Danelectro '56 Pro | 2014 Fender Stratocaster FSR American Standard Channel Bound Sonic Blue | 2015 Breedlove Discovery Concert CE Sunburst | 2016 PRS SE Custom 24 | 2017 Squier Jaguar Vintage Modified Bass | Blackstar HT-5R
davidrf I have a PRS SE Cu22 and it's great for what you're talking about. It's a solid guitar if its treated well. But as with most guitars you get what you pay for. If you're only looking to spend about $800 thats a good guitar to grab but I've since upgraded to a $2500+ guitar which has rendered that thing useless to me. Get what you can afford as it'll be a better long term investment but if $800 is your budget you're probably right on the money with that axe.
BigBoned: Hello Hung Daddy.

Hung Daddy: Hi. I'm eight and a half inches.

BigBoned: Sorry, I'm not interested in being friends with midgets. Midgets piss me off
I own an SE Cu24 30th.

It's my main guitar over my MIJ ESP.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
I own an SE Cu24 30th.

It's my main guitar over my MIJ ESP.

Wow... I had a LTD EC-1000 and I hated the frets but the guitar itself was astonishingly good. If you choose the PRS over an ESP, that's something
Ekam Sat
2012 Danelectro '56 Pro | 2014 Fender Stratocaster FSR American Standard Channel Bound Sonic Blue | 2015 Breedlove Discovery Concert CE Sunburst | 2016 PRS SE Custom 24 | 2017 Squier Jaguar Vintage Modified Bass | Blackstar HT-5R
Quote by thedyslexialove
davidrf I have a PRS SE Cu22 and it's great for what you're talking about. It's a solid guitar if its treated well. But as with most guitars you get what you pay for. If you're only looking to spend about $800 thats a good guitar to grab but I've since upgraded to a $2500+ guitar which has rendered that thing useless to me. Get what you can afford as it'll be a better long term investment but if $800 is your budget you're probably right on the money with that axe.

Yeah, thanks for the reply. It has to be a go-to guitar so I don't want to spend it more than 7-800$ on it.

I'm a bit worried about the resell value though... very often I fall in love with a guitar but I resell it after a few months because the love fades. I hope this won't be the case, since I reckon the resell value for a PRS is not so amazing...
Ekam Sat
I have that very guitar and I'd say it's very versatile with those genres. I mostly use it to play punk rock and metal, but it can definitely pull off that bluesy sound.

I'm not too familiar with fret sizes, but they're not jumbo or spread apart that much. I'd say they're about average. Maybe a little smaller than your average fender strat.

As for resell, I bought mine on eBay refurbished for about $500 with the travel bag. Of course, personally, I'd never dream of selling it.
Quote by SGstriker
If KFC is finger-licking good, then people would probably suck dicks for Popeyes. That's how good it is.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Last edited by Joshua Garcia at Jul 30, 2016,
Quote by davidrf
Yeah, thanks for the reply. It has to be a go-to guitar so I don't want to spend it more than 7-800$ on it.

I'm a bit worried about the resell value though... very often I fall in love with a guitar but I resell it after a few months because the love fades. I hope this won't be the case, since I reckon the resell value for a PRS is not so amazing...

That's why you buy used, let someone else take the depreciation hit
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Quote by DarthV
That's why you buy used, let someone else take the depreciation hit

The fact is I can't find a lot of used ones in my area Tons of Strats, Epiphone Les Pauls and Teles, but almost no PRS...
Ekam Sat
I have an older SE EG. My scale is closer to the Gibson 24.75 or 25 but my strat scale is 25.5.

It's basically a 22, retailed for the same price as the newer se custom 24 but man does that new SE look amazing. Inlays were only 1/2 moons too.

Just wow. I'm tempted to save for one now.
song stuck in my head today

the holcomb se is the way to go right now.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
I bought it. PRS SE Custom 24 Tobacco Burst. I went to a store to try that and other guitars. I tried the Gibson Les Paul Studio 50s Tribute T 2016 and the Gibson Les Paul Studio Satin T 2016 too.

The Les Pauls, especially the Tribute, were a mess. In the tribute, the input jack was not perfectly working and gave an intermittent signal. I don't know if it needed to be tightnen or it was a soldering problem, but it was annoyng. The setup was not so great... pretty high action. The overall feeling of the paint job and tactile feeling were kinda cheap.

Then I tried the PRS SE Custom 24 in Tobacco Burst. From the very first moment I held it, I loved it. In comparison, the Les Paul felt and looked like a damn toy. The guitar was very resonant, the fretboard was magnificent (I tought the Les Paul fretboard was nice, but this was on a whole another level)... To me, comparing those guitars is pure madness. The PRS felt so much better I can't express it with words.

I instantly fell in love and bought it. The tone is different from the Les Paul, and I love that Les Paul tone (those pickups in the Tribute really are good) but overall, to me, there's really no question on what's the better guitar.

Furthermore, the PRS was the last one left and they gave me a huge discount (22%) ... I got it for a price many people sell used ones. I'll post a proper NGD thread when I'll have nice photos.
Ekam Sat
If you're lookinf to spend $800 on a new SE, look for a nice used CE22. They can be had in the $700-1000 range.
--- Joe ---
77 Bradley LPC || 07 PRS CE22 || 11 PRS MC58 Artist || 95/02 Fender Strat || 99 Gibson LP DC Std Lite
06 Ovation Elite-T || 12 Martin GPCPA4
Boss GT100 || Peavey Stereo Chorus 400 || Peavey Bandit 75 || Roland JC77