Hello All!

Firstly I'd like to say thank you to anyone who has tabbed on here, thank you As a long time guitarist It's great seeing so many nice tabs! But, I recently got myself a piano which I love, the issue is finding songs that work well using chords and transpose. I've found a few which I will list off, but I'm trying to get any suggestions on songs.

Athlete - Wires
Betty Midler - Rose
Bowie - Heroes
Everlast - Folsom Prison Blues
Jason Mraz - I'm Yours
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
Wax Fang - Majestic

These are the songs that I've already found and they all work when either transposed or they just work. I'm trying to find other songs along those lines and so I thought I'd see if there was anyone who could name quite a few songs for me (I've looked at Elton John and he's way to advanced for me. I only know Majors and Minors on piano not the mental chords haha.

Thanks All!
Just about any song you can think of can be transposed, the only difference will be the rhythms, you can't use your stereotypical strumming patterns on a piano, so just change them to fit and bam. It's not like chords are some isolated thing that only work on guitars, in fact 90% of pop songs are usually written piano first, since they're so easy to write with and transpose key. Literally any ballad or waltz will work perfectly on piano, pop songs are easy, just get the chord progressions right and play whatever rhythm you feel like, etc. The only tricky ones are guitar centred genres like rock and metal, but even then just consider it an "acoustic rendition" and play it more ballady or jazzy or whatever.

TL;DR just play the same chords on the piano, it's no different, they're the same chords at the end of the day. Pick a song and play the chords.
Quote by Fat Lard
post of the year, thank you
Jimjambanx Thank you for being so nice about it! I'm no expert on these things, but thank you for taking the time out to reply I'll give it a go anf just see what happens I've been reducing the tempo for a few of them due to It being so heavily guitar orientated. This Is pretty much what I needed to know as well, because of my knowledge I'm thinking It's going to be way different. When as you say It's really not! Thank you again!
Quote by GameSkate
You can play on piano every song ever written.
Of course you can; however, the construction and sound of each instrument will most likely produce vastly different results.
Quote by RHPablo
....[ ]....Firstly I'd like to say thank you to anyone who has tabbed on here, thank you As a long time guitarist It's great seeing so many nice tabs! But, I recently got myself a piano which I love, the issue is finding songs that work well using chords and transpose. I've found a few which I will list off, but I'm trying to get any suggestions on songs. ...[ ]...
Well, a very long time ago, I watched Sonny Bono sit down at the piano. Before he began, he humbly said, "I only know 6 chords anyway".

And so it goes for much of pop music. With today's excellent electronic pianos, you really do have to, "only know only 6 chords", since you can transpose to all 12 keys, (steps of the chromatic scale), with a button somewhere on the instrument. OK, granted the acoustic piano doesn't have that feature.

I think the term you should actually be using is "translate to piano", since "transpose" in musical terms is strictly attached to a key change. (I'm not totally sure what you mean though).

In any event, if Elton John can play a truly acceptable version of, "Pinball Wizard" on the piano, you should be able to find plenty of songs which interest you.

Keep in mind, when dealing with ballads, the piano's ungodly amount of clean sustain, presents you with to opportunity to play "less often", and still sound great doing it! Just hit it on "1", and let it ring.... Cheating you say? Perhaps so, but the piano is the easiest instrument to play, while at the same time, one of the hardest to play well. .

EDIT: One of the things you're going to encounter with the piano is, music for it is written at a different octave than that of guitar music (*). Also,while chord diagrams abound for the guitar, I'm not so certain that's the case with piano chords. As a result, you should probably commit and apply yourself to learning chord structure, (theory), and reading music.

But hey, if you can wing it by ear, more power to ya!

(*) The guitar sounds an octave lower than it is written.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Aug 1, 2016,
RHPablo I am a real beginner. Only 5 months. But I felt like sometimes the laziness of waiting for my skills to improve (I don't have enough time to exercise properly) clashes with my desire of playing for my own pleasure of creating that beautiful sound that comes out of a piano.

That is why every now and then I am sharing very simple songs that I learn in videos on Youtube. Things like Arcade Fire, Mad Season, Soundgarden.

If you want to check them they are in a playlist called MEST POP FUBAIA (Mega Easy Songs To Play On Piano For Ultra Beginners As I Am):

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5anKkOO1Y0tuHK-cCiM6G2FNhguah8PQ
Hope you like it!

Cheers.
R.