So there is a thread for gear for post-rock. That's neat and all, but it makes you wonder why there aren't more threads like that. If they are, they probably haven't been touched in years and could probably be redone from scratch. At the very least, these are a few that would be cool:

Gear for Classic Rock
Gear for Country
Gear for Funk
Gear for Metal
Gear for Punk/Hardcore
Gear for Modern Rock

Maybe some others, but those are good genres for starting. You could throw surf rock and rockabilly in with country and then for certain genres have different categories in each. So for classic rock, you could have a British Invasion section, a Hendrixy type section, classic hard rock (AC/DC, Deep Purple, etc). For Metal you could have a stoner metal section, an old school death metal section, a thrash section, a modern metal section (6505 with a Tubescreamer or Axe-FX), etc.

It would be a list of amps, pedals, guitars (probably less info on guitars though) settings, etc that are commonly associated with those genres and subgenres and their respective sounds. Perhaps things can also be sorted by price, ie "if you want to build this kind of rig and have this much currency, consider X, Y, and Z" or something to that extent.

So as an example (people might not like this gear, but it's how to get that sound), for old school 90s American death metal, for amps the Crate gx130c, Ampeg vh140, and Marshall Valvestate were go-to amps and for old school Swedish death metal, the tone is Peavey Special 40 and Peavey Bandit (pre-Transtube for both) with an HM-2 (with everything dimed) and sometimes a DS-1 or MT-2 for some of the guitar tracks (so one guitar track with an HM-2 and one with one of those two).

For those sounds budget should not be an issue since, outside of the vh140 and maybe a Valvestate (don't know what they go for), all those amps can be obtained used for under 200 US dollars each and the HM-2 for around 100 or 70 (depending on MIJ vs MIT), the MT-2 for 30ish, and the DS-1 for 20ish.

Stuff like that. Thoughts?
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Good idea - one of the main problems with gear suggestion threads is that they are all over the place and there are some common setups that work well in different genres. To focus some threads per genre would make sense and we could use some updated suggestions.
I also figure that it would help people looking for very specific sounds and also would encourage people to take a listen to some different sounds. Somebody might listen to some recommendations for stoner metal and finally hear a fuzz sound that they have been looking for. And by having specific sounds for comparison, it means that you don't have to worry about people being too vague, such as somebody asking about a metal tone but not specifying. I mean, Sleep, Immortal, Iron Maiden, August Burns Red, Entombed, and Metallica all have very different guitar tones.

In addition to things like amps and pedals and a basic guide for settings (such as a 75-200ms delay time and single repeat/feedback as far left as possible at around 50% level for a general slapback sound for country and rockabilly), there are probably all kinds of odds and ends that people might not even think about, such as string benders to get steel sounds for country and some different options for that. Even recommending small things like string gauges (like that classic James Burton 9, 10, 12, 24, 32, 38 set) for specific styles could be a big help for some people.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
I wouldnt mind. I could probably contribute some tips and suggestions for the classic rock/blues crowd if they are needed.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Definitely interested in a stoner and/or sludge metal one. Getting something somehow filthy and clean can be a struggle at times. I've limited experience with a small range of decent amps. Not sure I'd be much use but I'd be happy to help where I could.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Last edited by Banjocal at Jul 30, 2016,
Hmm. I call dibs on the Gear for P&W thread. It will be a single post with "VOX AC30, Fender Tele, Strymon Holy Trinity, Fulldrive 2." And then the thread will closed because there is nothing else to be said. no i'm kidding
Last edited by Will Lane at Jul 30, 2016,
Quote by Will Lane
Hmm. I call dibs on the Gear for P&W thread. It will be a single post with "VOX AC30, Fender Tele, Strymon Holy Trinity, Fulldrive 2." And then the thread will closed because there is nothing else to be said. no i'm kidding

You need a Smallsound/Bigsound Fuck Overdrive.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I think the idea is a good one, overall. I can't tell you how many times I've contributed to funk or surf or whatever threads.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Quote by dannyalcatraz
I think the idea is a good one, overall. I can't tell you how many times I've contributed to funk or surf or whatever threads.

I feel like surf sounds are maybe similar enough to be grouped with country, rockabilly, and maybe old 50s Buddy Holly style rock n roll. I guess there isn't a right or wrong way to group things and it couldn't hurt if something like surf rock was duplicated in the classic rock and country threads for example.
I agree that there's overlap, but I wouldn't want too much grouping in any one thread. Once you post the basics and the notable exceptions, you've got a lot to work with.

Personally, I'd probably group surf with spy, space, rockabilly and psychobilly.

we did something a bit like that in some of the older stickies (less specifically genre-based, but more "high gain", "mid gain" and "low gain"). Big problems are that it's an absolute pain to do (takes a lot of time and effort), new gear comes out and is discontinued all the time (so after putting in all the effort in about 6 months the recommendations are out of date) and it's a pain listing stuff by price because stuff doesn't cost the same and/or isn't available in all countries in the world (though, granted, you can simplify a bit by listing the main places- the USA/canada, europe, australia/nz, japan etc..)

if you want to do the legwork, though, by all means go for it.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jul 30, 2016,
Quote by Dave_Mc
new gear comes out and is discontinued all the time (so after putting in all the effort in about 6 months the recommendations are out of date)

At the same time, a lot of musicians are trying to nail classic tones. X guitarist used Y amp/pedals on Z album and that's not going to change, especially if people are looking to buy the exact models. There's a lot of classic pedals and amps that been around for many years like Dual Recs and 5150s and 6505s and AC-30s and Big Muffs and Tubescreamers that are still being made and will likely continue to be made or be available used for some time. A lot of the same gear is still being used by modern guitarists as well.

I don't really see that as being an issue.
^ Oh yeah absolutely, if you're listing what you'd use if budget isn't an issue then there's no problem at all. Just if you're listing more budget or curently-available options it becomes an issue. For example, EHX has tons of muffs available and those models change over time (and that's before you consider clones); it's likely Ibanez will sell a tubescreamer for the forseeable future but what about cheaper clones? Etc. etc.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jul 30, 2016,