I live in Southern California and am looking to buy a high end electric guitar. Something better than most Guitar Centers or Sam Ash's have to offer. I've been to Wild West guitars in Riverside, but they sold a lot of the stock that I was interested in (R9 Les Pauls, Suhr 2016 Collection, PRS). Do you guys know of any good places?

Also, I know that the online market is a common way to go about this, where you can simply return the guitar if you don't like it after buying. Any online suggestions for quality electric guitars?
Wild West WILL restock, you know. Is there some kind of deadline involved in your purchase?

Also, are those the only ones you're considering? Or might guitars of similar quality be considered?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jul 30, 2016,
No idea if they're good (and they might have a markup for their name/location) but Norman's Rare Guitars in LA certainly stocks a lot of high-end (and vintage) stuff. Always difficult to tell the extent to which a shop with a social media presence lives up to their own hype, but expensive guitars are expensive guitars.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Carvin has a showroom in San Diego.
Last edited by dthmtl3 at Jul 30, 2016,
dannyalcatraz Yeah, they said so. But in these next few days were I've got free time I wanna do some searching. And yes, those are the guitars I'm considering at the moment. Unless you can sell me on something else

I've heard of Normans and have been meaning to make the trip.
Well, Carvin has been named, and they can definitely scratch that itch, as can higher end USA/MiJ/Custom Shop/luthier builds from Driskill, G&L, Godin, Heritage, Vigier, Fernandes, Fret-King Green Label, Crimson, Myka, Veilette, Bacorn, LaRose, Thorn, Ruokangas, Rice, Kammerer... I could go on forever.

What kind of guitar are you looking for? What kind of price range? Some of these may not be readily available in stores anywhere because they do direct sales only.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jul 30, 2016,
So basically, you could afford something from any of the builders I've mentioned thus far.

Quote by marcelaguiar
I live in Southern California and am looking to buy a high end electric guitar. Something better than most Guitar Centers or Sam Ash's have to offer. I've been to Wild West guitars in Riverside, but they sold a lot of the stock that I was interested in (R9 Les Pauls, Suhr 2016 Collection, PRS). Do you guys know of any good places?

You're floating around the manufacturers themselves. WildWest gets its Suhrs from right down the road at the Suhr factory (what, Lake Elsinore?). BTW, did you see the Voodoo Lounge while you were there? WildWest can custom order you a Suhr or go to the flipping' factory!

Drive down to Carvin and see and TOUCH the guitars, take the factory tour and look at some of the really amazing woods they have in stock. Don't make decisions based on what you see online. While you're in that area, check out Taylor (they make some amazing custom-built electrics that never see stores). Factory tour there as well. Hit up Buffalo Brothers on the way back up the freeway. Hit the Sam Ash on Sunset across and down the street from the flagship Guitar Center, and then talk to the boys in the Platinum Room at the Sunset Guitar Center (you might want to see what they do NOT have on display in their vintage room as well). Talk to the folks at McCabes in Santa Monica. TrueTone. I'm not sure who's selling Tom Andersons in the area these days, but Rockit in Brea is closed and used to do that for SoCal. Trussart is up in SilverLake and he makes some amazing guitars. He's up there with Arcane Pickups as well. Norm's will steer you to where the high end new stuff is, as WELL as showing you the vintage gear. I think there's someone out in Simi and another someone up toward Magic Mountain...I'll have to think about it a bit.

I'm not sure who you'd want to talk to about Nik Huber guitars, but there are some amazing things there, and there's Steve from Moonstone up in the gold country and there are some places up in SF and SLO as well. Pretty easy to blow ten grand on a guitar if you really need to.

Hell, come by the house and I'll sell you the cleanest L5S on the planet for seven grand... Makes an R9 look like someone's Christmas kit guitar.
Last edited by dspellman at Jul 31, 2016,
Glad you showed up!

Please...show us your Moonstones. (They're killer.)

Suhr, Anderson, Grosh, PRS
looks like you are looking for something classic rock oriented.

Wild West will restock. Although when you are getting up into that price point it's really no longer about getting something off the rack unless you are looking specifically for a historic reissue gibson.

I wouldn't be spending that much unless it was a custom and I knew exactly what I wanted.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Glad you showed up!

Please...show us your Moonstones. (They're killer.)

Someone on TGP is/was selling a Vulcan like my old one; it's one of about 35 that were built from a single chunk of maple burl (the body, that is) as a promotion by Morley back in the '70's. Active Bartolini pickups, an active Varitone, all kinds of nice stuff. At a time when an LP standard was about $500, these were $1850. I've seen a couple of Exploders and a V like mine but not a Vulcan like my newer one.
Teaser!