so, over the last few months i have been getting deeper and deeper into electronics (which at this point is admittedly shallow }, i have built a dozen or so simple fuzz pedals, played around with breadboarding and just learning.

so... i want to run two of the same fuzz in one box (different cap and transistor between the two but that won't matter for this).

i want two switches, one for each side.

i want to be able to use either one or the other, or both at the same time or neither and have true bypass.

as far as the power to each side, i know i can use the same common ground. for the hot, i would run them in parallel (right?) so it would be a current divider, as i don't need all of the current and will still have my 9V going to each half.

as far as the audio ins and outs, i am completely at a loss.

if i made any errors, feel free to correct me, i am very new to this. i haven't slept in two days, so there may be errors in my logic.

WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Both circuits can share the same 9v battery, sure (never heard anyone think of it in that way, though).

Your switching is definitely possible but is going to be a bit tricky for someone so new. So rather than come out and tell you how to do it, how about we make it a learning experience? I'll tell you what needs to be done, you can figure out how to do it.
Quote by Invader Jim
Both circuits can share the same 9v battery, sure (never heard anyone think of it in that way, though).

Your switching is definitely possible but is going to be a bit tricky for someone so new. So rather than come out and tell you how to do it, how about we make it a learning experience? I'll tell you what needs to be done, you can figure out how to do it.

Thanks Jim! i will gratefully take you up on your offer.

here is [what i think] i know at the moment.

both are true bypass, i will be using two 3p3t switches, i need to have either or both on, so i think i would have to go in series but i am not really sure because if they were in series i would be bypassing one. that is where the fuzziness starts. lol.

ideally i would like each half to have a seperate LED (if that makes any difference).
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
I should have asked sooner, but I assume you'll be using a stomp for the bypass and a 3-way rotary for the A/B/Both switching? Because that's how I drew up my diagram.

So you said you want to be able to use one, the other, both, or neither. Well, the "neither" is easy because that can be the true bypass. The bypass and effect A/B switching are going to be separate switches, so for now, we're not gonna worry about the bypassing. Let's take it one switch at a time and get the hard part over with first.

Now, for the A/B/Both switching you will need a 3P3T switch, but you can do it with 1 switch, and simpler switching is always better. Having LEDs is not really necessary if you're using a rotary switch (although I can see where it'd be great for live gigs) but this will require 2 more poles on the switch. The LED wiring will be simple, though, so let's not think about it right now. Also, all the cool people use bi-color LEDs Then you only need to drill 1 hole. I did something like this with a RGB LED for a Crybaby that I modded and it worked wonderfully. It gave me red for one switch setting, blue for another, and purple for both, with carefully-chosen resistor values to give a really nice shade of purple.

Anyway, an easier way (for me at least) to plan this out would be to first figure out how to switch between the two effects, without worrying about how to use them together. After we get the first two options, we can worry about the third. And remember, we aren't messing with bypassing or LED switching right now.

Full disclosure: It has been quite a while since I've actively dealt with this stuff so I may be a bit rusty. So I guess we'll be helping each other.
Last edited by Invader Jim at Aug 1, 2016,
i am trying to use two stomp switches, not a rotary i want to be able to change both off/off, off/on, on/off, on/on.

since it is true bypass yeah, the off/off is an easy one.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
I see. That makes things quite a bit more complicated. There are only 2 throws available in a stomp switch, not 3. I'm not sure this can be done with 2 stomp switches. I'll have to start from scratch and plan it all out again. I'll get back to you...
Am I misreading the issue? Surely if you want two TBP fuzzes in one box, you can just wire them in series with the usual 3PDT switches to turn each one on and off independently, no?
Yeah, I would have thought that you basically build the two pedals, but put them side-by-side in one housing? So the output of the first goes to the input of the second?
Oh my fucking god I'm such an idiot. I was thinking of a totally different way of trying to do it. Derp. Told you it's been a while.

So just wire the circuit inputs and outputs like standard true-bypass, then do the same for the input and output jacks themselves.
Quote by Invader Jim
Oh my fucking god I'm such an idiot. I was thinking of a totally different way of trying to do it. Derp. Told you it's been a while.

So just wire the circuit inputs and outputs like standard true-bypass, then do the same for the input and output jacks themselves.

it happens to the best of us. lol. i didn't think it would be that complicated though. lol.

just to make 100% sure, i just wire both inputs to the input jack and both outputs to the output jack?

then as i said before, run the two 'halves' parallel to the power and grounds?

thank you all very much
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
No. Just run the output of the first one straight into the input of the second, and that output to the out jack. You're running the effects in series.
This is just like having two separate pedals, you're just replacing the jacks and cable between them with a single wire. Then the bypasses work independently and all you do is share the power supply.
Quote by Roc8995
No. Just run the output of the first one straight into the input of the second, and that output to the out jack. You're running the effects in series.
This is just like having two separate pedals, you're just replacing the jacks and cable between them with a single wire. Then the bypasses work independently and all you do is share the power supply.

OK, glad i asked. lol.

thanks!
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!