I'm looking to buy a fuzz pedal that can do Hendrix and The Black Keys. Any recommendations?
Some sort of Fuzz Face might be a good starting point? Or Big Muff. See if one of their pedals can do the other's sound.
Fuzz's are what they are so versatility isn't their strong suite. as mentioned Dunlop FuzzFace will do Hendrix no problem as for Black Keys you may want to find out what Dan uses. the FF will probably work but may not nail it.
monwobobbo
I'm fairly sure he uses a Russian Big Muff, the green IIRC. I have a Bass Big Muff, which may give similar tones, it's meant to be based on the Sovtek Muffs

Dunlop do a lot of different Fuzz Face models, including at least one Hendrix mini one. Try a couple of those and a couple of Muffs and see whst takes your fancy?
The Thorpy Muffroom Cloud- recently renamed Fallout Cloud- may be the most flexible fuzz on the market, but it isn't cheap. What kind of budget do you have?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Blackout Effectors Musket Fuzz. It's a germanium diode-based pedal which, I believe, the Hendrix-era Fuzz pedals were. I feel like this pedal shines more in a doom/stoner context but with six controls it's plenty versatile.
Ibanez UV777 - Carvin TL60 & 727 - Jackson KE3
Splawn QuickRod - Mesa Stiletto & RoadKing - Peavey Ultra+ - Peavey Bandit
Some pedlulz & cabz

7 String Legion
Quote by BCKRedBaron
Blackout Effectors Musket Fuzz. It's a germanium diode-based pedal which, I believe, the Hendrix-era Fuzz pedals were. I feel like this pedal shines more in a doom/stoner context but with six controls it's plenty versatile.

Hendrix used both germanium and silicon FuzzFaces. early stuff was germanium the later silicon.
Thanks for that info. For some reason I thought silicon diode Fuzzes were a later development than they were.
Ibanez UV777 - Carvin TL60 & 727 - Jackson KE3
Splawn QuickRod - Mesa Stiletto & RoadKing - Peavey Ultra+ - Peavey Bandit
Some pedlulz & cabz

7 String Legion
Black Keys use the hoof (EQD worked with them to develop it, I believe). Very versatile for muff tones (the blackout Musket as well) but I can't speak for the fuzz face tones. I personally picked the Hoof because it had more volume output than the musket.

However, in this case I'd say the way huge swollen pickle would do, using the internal pots (voice and clip) and crunch knob should help blend between a variety of core fuzz tones.
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
Last edited by Maidenheadsteve at Jul 31, 2016,
The Magnetic Effects White Atom is a nice Si/Ge fuzz.

The EQD Hoof Reaper combines EQD's Hoof and Reaper fuzzes- both Si/Ge, as I recall- with an octave up effect they eventually released seperately as the Tentacles pedal.

Black Arts Toneworks has a couple of big fuzz pedals. The Sarcophagus combines their Pharaoh & LSTR fuzzes; the Coven does likewise with their Pharaoh & Black Forest pedals.

The EHX Big Muuff Pi is nice. There are also pedals that have taken it's capabilities as a starting point, and expanded upon them, like the ARC Effects Big Green, Wren & Cuff Tall Font Russian, and McCaffrey Audio Green Vodka Fuzz.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jul 31, 2016,
Here are some of the pedals I mentioned, and a few I didn't. Most should be available in your price range, at least used. Those that aren't...just enjoy the fuzzy goodness.

Quote by Maidenheadsteve

However, in this case I'd say the way huge swollen pickle would do, using the internal pots (voice and clip) and crunch knob should help blend between a variety of core fuzz tones.

I know someone with one of these, had a play about with it once, and I liked it. I would have considered buying one myself, but I'm more of a "get a pedal for a specific sound" rather than a tweaker.
Last edited by luke.g.henderso at Aug 1, 2016,
Zvex Fuzz Factory. I mean, its a fuzz FACTORY! Speaking from experiences, there are a lot of different sounds in that pedal, most of them are absolutely nasty in the best way possible.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.