Hello, I've recently bought an Electric guitar and when i've taken it home and played with it for a few days i started noticing that the note changes when i pull down on the neck. By pulling down i mean towards the back of the guitar. Is this normal for all guitars or should i be worried?

Ask me anything, Thanks in advance.

EDIT: is it okay for the note to change depending on how hard i press on the fret?
Last edited by infinigun at Jul 31, 2016,
Random3 Thank you for the quick reply. Good to know that my Guitar isn't flawed.
Granted its a Chinese guitar but thats all i could afford right now.

Okay, another question. is it okay for the note to change depending on how hard i press on the fret?
Last edited by infinigun at Jul 31, 2016,
Yes. If you think about it, when you press the string just enough to touch the metal fret, it will then play whatever note it is tuned to. If you press the string all the way down so that it is touching the wooden fretboard, you are basically bending the string by a certain microtone. So basically if you press really hard on every fret, the guitar will sound out of tune.
Quote by infinigun
Random3 Thank you for the quick reply. Good to know that my Guitar isn't flawed.
Granted its a Chinese guitar but thats all i could afford right now.

Okay, another question. is it okay for the note to change depending on how hard i press on the fret?

take it easy on the neck bending notes that way can result in damage to the neck and throw off your intonation. if it's a bolt on neck then you can loosen the neck if done enough. over bend the neck and it can break the headstock off. if done occasionally and carefully not a problem just be aware of what can happen.

as for pushing down hard on the frets to change notes that is common but again be aware that fret wear will result after doing that a lot. fret wear is common and is going to happen but you don't want to hasten it to much .
plus pressing down the strings to the finger board will make your hand get tired real quick if your in a band playing 18 songs on a gig (on top of being sharp and sounding bad )
It really depends on how much the note is changing. If your note is bending above a major second (e.g. C to Eb and above) then it's probably an issue.
I'm thinking a mahogany neck would have a bit more flex than maple, and a short scale, with its lower string tension, would give a more pronounced effect.

Plus any particular piece of wood within the same species, could have more flex, lower density, or both. I don't think I'd be too concerned, unless the neck joint appeared loose in the pocket.

But really using it as a "musical effect" could be, "hazardous to your guitar's health". That's why, "on the 9th day, man created whammy bars".
Last edited by Captaincranky at Jul 31, 2016,
Quote by infinigun

EDIT: is it okay for the note to change depending on how hard i press on the fret?

You should be playing with a much lighter touch than you do with an acoustic. You need only fret the string enough to prevent it from buzzing when you pick. As my old instructor repeated; it's an electric guitar. Let it do the work for you. If you Gorilla Grip (TM) the guitar, you will play out of tune... and slowly.
Quote by dspellman
You should be playing with a much lighter touch than you do with an acoustic. You need only fret the string enough to prevent it from buzzing when you pick. As my old instructor repeated; it's an electric guitar. Let it do the work for you. If you Gorilla Grip (TM) the guitar, you will play out of tune... and slowly.
I'm sorely hoping you're not trying to tell us you don't need a heavy grip to play heavy metal......
Last edited by Captaincranky at Jul 31, 2016,