One of the biggest difficulties of being a musician is that you can't learn to do everything you would like. One thing that is particularly difficult is learning new instruments for many reasons such as limited availability, cost, size, time, etc. People that play guitar, bass guitar, ukulele, banjo, mandolin, and keyboards have it very easy because you can get a good beginner setup for under $300 and gradually upgrade and accumulate a gig-worthy rig for still within 3 figures. The instruments and their accessories are readily available and there are many options. Space is not a huge issue either.

There are many other instruments, such as winds (especially low winds or pipes), pedal steel, upright bass, exotic folk string instruments (morin khuur, oud, guzheng, hurdy-gurdy etc), and many others where this is not the case. Instruments are hard to come by (especially in the US, UK, Canada, Australia, etc where most of us live other than the disproportionately large number of Finns that post here), have comparatively limited options, take up lots of space, etc.

Perhaps most importantly, they cost a lot. Many of these instruments don't have inexpensive beginner instruments so you may need to invest 2000 or more on an instrument that you are ordering direct from a maker that is likely halfway across the country and maybe halfway across the world. Also there is the difficulty of learning instruments, particularly unusual foreign instruments with no teacher within hundreds of miles and next to no instructional material in your own language.

In any case there are many significant obstacles. What are some instruments that you would like to learn but can't because of these factors?

For me it would be hurdy-gurdy, uilleann pipes, and Arabic oud. In each case, I would say the expense is the biggest difficulty.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Last edited by theogonia777 at Aug 2, 2016,
you do know there are instrument rentals, right? i rented all the way through middle and high school, and often times you can rent-to-buy so if you stick with an insturment for 3 years or so it'll be completely paid off.
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
To me personally, the instrument would be upright bass. I play the bass guitar and I've become a big jazz fan, to the point where I aim to study jazz at a conservatory, so I've become really familiar with the upright bass and I'm dying to learn it. But there are a lot of factors that for the time being prevent it, like money, time, education, the size and volume of the instrument in a small apartment and necessary electric bass equipment I still need before I can invest in an upright. The most frustrating thing is, that the older I get, the more I feel like I'm "too late" and I feel like I'm missing out.

I also really like other jazz instruments like sax and trumpet, and would like to dabble in them for fun. Actually, any wind instrument would be interesting to learn since the completely different perspective to learning and playing one. I also want/need a keyboard, but not really because I want to become a pianist, and more because it's an useful tool for studying, and it would also help a lot with tracking MIDI stuff and VST's in real time.

Quote by Hail
you do know there are instrument rentals, right? i rented all the way through middle and high school, and often times you can rent-to-buy so if you stick with an insturment for 3 years or so it'll be completely paid off.

It might still be too expensive for some people, especially if you want to take lessons with your new instrument at the same time. But I do agree in that renting shouldn't be forgotten as it might turn out to be a valid way to learn a new instrument for a lot of people who don't realize they actually have that chance.
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
Quote by Hail

Duh. How could I forget about the place right down the road that rents out pipes?
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777
Duh. How could I forget about the place right down the road that rents out pipes?

oh i thought this was about instruments, my mistake
Quote by Kevätuhri

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
For me the list is:

1. Upright bass
2. Sitar
3. Kora

Others (given even more time and money - let alone patience of gf - than I have at my disposal) would be: oud, sarangi, cimbalom, dijeridoo - and this thing I never heard of until a few days ago, the begena, the Ethiopian lyre-kithara, with a history stretching back to Babylon...

doesn't look too difficult... (The singing and religion could be trickier....)
Last edited by jongtr at Aug 1, 2016,
Kora is neat. I'm hoping that Toumani Diabaté or Ballaké Sissoko comes to New York City some time in the future or somewhere else relatively close.
I started on a $100 guitar, then upgraded to a $400 one months later. Saying you can't do something is the biggest mistake that a guitar player could make, you can.
Quote by frankenstratEVH
I started on a $100 guitar, then upgraded to a $400 one months later. Saying you can't do something is the biggest mistake that a guitar player could make, you can.

400$ guitar is not only really, really cheap, it's practically free in comparison to a decent upright bass or some more rare, more expensive instruments you might want to try. I feel like you might not understand how pricey some instruments can be.
Quote by Jet Penguin

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
Quote by frankenstratEVH
KevätuhriI am upgrading to a Frankenstrat in 3 months, prices for guitars are outrageous.

For low 4 figures, you can get Carvin or whatever to design your dream bass. In comparison, orchestral musicians playing things like contrabassoon or cello or double bass can be shelling out well into the 5 figure range.

For $200 you can get a solid beginner guitar. For a legitimate entry level upright bass, you're putting out $1500-$2000. And that's entry level.

Relatively speaking, guitars are among the cheapest instruments other than like simple flutes (recorders and tin whistles) and simple hand percussion instruments.
if you're auditioning to some high level orchestras, you'd only get away with a $5k upright bass if it's just an impeccable dark horse. there's a reason people sell their souls to work for orchestras with $300k upright basses
Quote by Kevätuhri

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Last edited by Hail at Aug 2, 2016,
This is way better if you go to YouTube and read the comments, but I've done what I can to keep the party rolling.

BTW, I have part 2 of this if you think you'll be needing it

Just when I though it couldn't get any better, I found this, hurdy gurdy shredd over hurdy gurdy loop!

Only joking so much here folks. If i were better able to process metal growling, I'd own the entire collection of "Euleivtie" albums. (IMO, they don't let the girls sing anywhere near enough). They do however, have a hurdy gurdy player.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Aug 3, 2016,
Quote by Hail
if you're auditioning to some high level orchestras, you'd only get away with a $5k upright bass if it's just an impeccable dark horse. there's a reason people sell their souls to work for orchestras with $300k upright basses

5k isn't 5 figures though.
That reminds me of a scene from a Japanese movie. I watched in a film glass. I think it was called Departures in the English dub (not to be confused with The Departed). It was a movie about a cello player who becomes a traditional funeral director. Early in the movie, his orchestra he's in breaks up which leaves him unemployed. He tells the wife the bad knews... and the other bad news. He spent a little more than he had let on for his cello. The says, "what, like a million?" and he says, "naw... like 17..." and his wife got a very big from. Japanese yen are worth just under one penny, so those figures would work out to about 10,000 (which his wife considered /reasonable/ to spend) and 170,000 respectively.
That's still better than spending 100,000$ on a guitar owned by Hendrix.
Quote by Jet Penguin

Quote by Hail
Yeah but nobody would pay that much unless they were rich or something. And in that case, the instrument itself is not worth $100,000 as an instrument. It's only worth that as some collector's item/memorabilia. The same guitar, had it not been owned by Hendrix, would obviously be worth less than 10% of that, and even then it is unrelated to the fact that guitars, from entry level through intermediate through professional are still far cheaper than an upright or cello of comparable level.
We're talking about musicians. Isn't that what Musician Talk is about? Talking about musicians?
Good topic.

I've never had any ambition to play an exotic instrument, but CC's hurdy gurdy vids reminded me of virtuoso performances on some of these. I can think of a couple that were a revelation to me of what you might call "alternative musicalities", but they would be better in another thread rather than hijacking yours.
I'd really like an Erhu. They sound so cool.

Saxaphone would be neat.

Sitar. That Chinese flute thing that looks like a beehive.

I'm going to start learning fiddle soon, and I just made a lap steel that's really fun, so I have a lot to keep me occupied for now.
i thought Xun was an obsolete kind of mp3 player
Quote by Kevätuhri

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by Captaincranky
. . .

It sounds like a piccolo being attacked by an angry swarm of bees.
“High fly ball into right field. She is… gone!" - Vin Scully
Quote by Standard_A440
It sounds like a piccolo being attacked by an angry swarm of bees.

It sounds beautiful and you're a big fat dummy head.
Quote by theogonia777
It sounds beautiful and you're a big fat dummy head.
It does sound a bit like bees, maybe not a piccolo (more like bagpipes, but only slightly), but just because there are bees doesn't mean it's not beautiful

But mainly be nice
I don't remember ouds being hard to find or expensive, the instrument is insanely popular in its region so teachers aren't super hard to find if you're willing to go online or live near a city. Really beautiful instrument, for sure

I always liked the Hardingfele, and I honestly don't know why I haven't bought one even at $2,000+
Last edited by Vlasco at Aug 10, 2016,
Quote by Vlasco
I don't remember ouds being hard to find or expensive,

If you want to buy a $200 piece of junk from Amazon...

the instrument is insanely popular in its region

Yeah. The Middle East. I'm pretty sure that I don't really live there.

so teachers aren't super hard to find if you're willing to go online or live near a city.

I don't need an oud teacher though.

Really beautiful instrument, for sure

Now that's the first good thing that you've said.
Quote by theogonia777
If you want to buy a $200 piece of junk from Amazon...

Yeah. The Middle East. I'm pretty sure that I don't really live there.

I don't need an oud teacher though.

Now that's the first good thing that you've said.

idk, I was running off the problems that said we should respond to, such as cost, availability, and tutor availability. The oud has all three easily - you don't need to live in the middle east to take advantage of its popularity there (skype, that the instrument is carried to other countries by immigrants, etc), and those $300 POS ouds aren't nearly as bad as I have heard people make em out to be. Maybe that's just me, but the work required to get them playable and in tune wasn't really THAT heavy. Even with the cost of someone setting it up for you, I don't think that the cost is any more prohibitive for learning purposes than buying a not-complete-shit guitar, amp, cable, etc. setup. After that, you could upgrade over time in the same way guitars and such like you described. I just think you should go for it, I don't see a heavy barrier to learning.
Last edited by Vlasco at Aug 10, 2016,