I recently decided to upgrade from a Peavey Vypyr VIP1 to something a little more substantial. I decided I wanted a tube head and a 2x12 cab. So I bought the cab, just can't figure out which head to buy.

So I picked up one of these on a whim to play around with in the meantime.

I *think* the 6505 sound is there.....I don't really have anything to compare it to since I've never played a "real" 6505, just Vypyr amp models. FWIW I mostly like to play metal.

Anyway, here's a couple videos I hastily recorded. Go easy on my playing, I'm just a hobbiest that doesn't practice much.

High Gain:

"Clean" tone. Clean as I could get, anyway.

Btw, it isn't a tube head, it's a hybrid. One preamp tube does not a tube amp make.
It sounds ok but it doesn't actually sound that much like the real thing. Sounds pretty good for what it is though.
HNAd
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Picture some guy with 2 4x12 cabinets stacked atop one another claiming to his friend he has a 6505 to power them. and when his friend comes around to his house expecting a BFMV fan's wet dream, he can't even see it over the cabinets cause It's that friggin small.

I'll listen to these clips once I get home, I'm very curious if this sounds any good.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Aug 1, 2016,
Thanks for the videos! Do you think it sounds better than any other amp you own? It kind of sounds like it has some sustain but not a lot of head room. Does the eq do much?
that sounds pretty good
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'll have to listen when I get home, its so cute!
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Sounds cool man! Also don't beat yourself up on your playing, it's more than decent.

Congrats! That does sound pretty good. How do the different eq settings sound?
is it pretty solid feeling or on the flimsy side?

i wonder how that would do next to an orange micro terror or micro dark.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Just listened to the clip, definitely sounds chunky! I have to admit that I really like the looks of it...
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by Cathbard
Btw, it isn't a tube head, it's a hybrid. One preamp tube does not a tube amp make.
It sounds ok but it doesn't actually sound that much like the real thing. Sounds pretty good for what it is though.
HNAd

He said he was going to buy a tube head, but got this to tide him over.
I had a micro dark for 2 days. It's all bass and no eq. It has so little sustain and headroom and the shape knob goes from one side of suck to the other. I hope this piranha isnt the same. It uses the same tube and basic design. That video really pushes these phone speakers though, interesting.
that sounds pretty damn'd good! congrats!
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Here are my thoughts so far. First, I'm thinking that the Vypyr 6505 models sound more like 6505 than the Piranha. I recently converted my Vypyr VIP1 to a head and played through my 2x12. It sounded huge in comparison. Much more gain as well from the VIP1. I'd like to film a demo comparison but I'm going on vacation. Maybe when I get back.

As for the EQ, Peavey claims its mostly a mid sweep, and that seems to be accurate. FWIW, all the NAMM demos are wrong, they keep saying that with the EQ fully clockwise that it's like a 6505 at 7-7-7, which isn't correct according to the manual. Fully counter clockwise is 10-0-6, at noon its 7-7-7, and all the way up is 10-10-10.

Build quality seems solid to me.
I was thinking the same thing. If I ended up getting a Piranha, run it through the speaker in my Vypyr VIP2 and compare it to its 6505 models. But it doesn't sound like the Piranha would be that much of an improvement and I'm very happy with the Vypyr anyway.
I cant wait ro try out the piranha. Im thinking now, why not get a vip1 and hook it to another cab?