I've been in a rock band for about three months now and I am in high school. While our keyboardist has played piano for almost her entire life, she is just learning how to play chords and rock style keyboard now. Our bassist got an electric after transitioning from upright about a year ago. Our guitarist has been playing for about two years now and is starting to transition to the electric. One of our friends is currently learning drums and I would like to learn how to play guitar (which I think good give us the awesome rhythm-lead dynamic). Do you think it is possible to integrate playing into our fledgling band from the start.
Just have a good time and learn together. Teach each other, bounce knowledge off each other, and have fun.

There's no rules to this - if you can do it, do it. Even if you suck, you'll suck together, and you'll grow together.

You'll have to learn the basics first, but after that, there's nothing that says a bunch of rookies can't play as a band together.
Jeff hannamen was only playing guitar for 3 weeks when he joined Slayer, he turned out ok minus the whole spider and dying from cirrhosis of liver but hey go for it.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Go for it.....play music you're comfortable with, even if it's just basic 4 chord pop stuff and then branch out and improve from there.

And whatever you do, don't ask your parents for advice on whether or not you sound good
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
‘Cause there's nothing here for you my dear
And everything must pass
Just give yourselves collective goals you can all work towards and you'll be k. Doing a song you all like and nailing it etc
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
It's not just a good idea, it's a great idea! You'll learn faster, and have more fun doing it, than you ever would sitting in your bedroom and waiting until you're "good enough".
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
i agree with previous posts

just have a good time
it seems like none you guys are "advanced" level musicians yet, so just have fun and makes some catchy music
RECORD YOUR SESSIONS and play them back so you guys know what to fix later on

don't worry too much about being skilled, just learn form eachother, be openminded, and have fun
that's what being in a band is all about
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Your keyboardist has been playing piano all her life and is only now learning chords? How old is she, 20 minutes?

Anyhow, learning together from the start is great.

I saw that as well, but I'm pretty sure it was simply worded poorly.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Last edited by Arby911 at Aug 1, 2016,
Of course you will be practicing as individuals as well, the advantage here is that as you are learning you are also learnong to play in a band enviroment, some musicians learn their instrument and get very good but initially find it difficult to play in a band setting.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Quote by Arby911
I saw that as well, but I'm pretty sure it was simply worded poorly.

She has played classical piano and reads primarily notation. She can play great classics, but we write and talk about music in terms of chords.