I'm looking into buying either a new Stratocaster or an SG faded. I've played both and really can't decide. i'm open to any opinions.
Which felt better in your hands?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I have both a Strat and a SG. I like both equally and both feel good in my hands, but your talking two different sounding animals here (single coils vs. humbuckers). Of the two, considering the stuff I personally like to listen to/play (and considering what type of stuff I might get into playing in the future) if I HAD to narrow it down to one, I'd go with the Strat. That's ME. Not you. Play both, and decide which has the best sound/feel for what YOU want to do musically. Harder, heavier crunchy tones = SG. Lighter, twangier, bluesier tones = Strat.
dannyalcatraz honestly both felt equally comfortable. i want a single coil guitar but i've been eyeing the SG for a while.
Well...I saw this:
http://www.zzounds.com/item--GIBSG7016?siid=179791

It is inexpensive enough that you could put a HB-sized P90 (a kind of oversized singlecoil) in one or both positions, or rewire it to have coil-split humbuckers.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Well, that begs the question: Do you want a guitar that's very much suited to rock music and not a ton else in the SG, or a 'jack of all trades save for maybe metal, master of none save maybe for blues and surf' in the strat?

Really depends what you play most.

Though if you get the SG, you could always swap pickups and wiring for something that splits well.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
i would go for the SG. they are fun guitars to play. for some reason they are just really fun to play, better than other shapes for some reason.

at the moment i have two Gibson SG's one strat (getting another strat soon), i think the strat is more versatile if you stick a bucker in them, but a SG with a HB sized p90 would be bitchin'.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
IME, the HB/P90 is a pretty sweet combination.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
IME, the HB/P90 is a pretty sweet combination.

hell yeah. one of these days i am going to throw one of those railhammer p90's in the neck of my LP.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
The same way you can get an SG with single coil, you can go for HH or HSS Strat. Really just depends on your taste. I had the same dilemma and the deciding factor was the versatility of an HH Strat with coil-tapping. It can play any style very decently.
Buy the one which inspires you to play the most because at the end of the day that's all that matters really