I've noticed that although guitars come in a big variety of extreme/pointy shapes basses rarely come in these or at least in similar ones...
Why is this happening ?
BC Rich makes mass Warlocks, Widows, and whatnot in bass form. Jackson offers Kellys and I've seen Jackson Warrior basses. ESP and LTD have had Z basses. Dean has produced Vs and MLs, both of them in a more "conventional" shape as well as the extra pointy Razorback form. Ibanez has done the Iceman in 4 string flavor on and off. And those are just big, mass production companies.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by Deliriumbassist

Fortunately a lot of us are more grown up than that

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Fortunately a lot of us are more grown up than that

Were all musicians here...which means none of us have grown up
Gear:
1987 Charvel Model II
2010 Carvin ST300C
1990 Charvette 100
1991 Ibanez RG560M
2006 Fender Mexi Strat
Jackson/Charvel Star W/ Custom Graphics.
Ovation CP 247 Acoustic
Line 6 POD HD Pro X
Pro Tools 9

Tutorial: Studio Quality Programmed Drum Sounds
Well guys lets face it...All production models exept BC R. do not produce pointy bassee. Even Dean's v isn't pointy ! Most manufactures will make u that pointy bass you dream only through an overpriced custom shop...
So exept these rare cases, is behind it a tenchical reason ? Is it related to the types of wood ? Τo the lenght of their scale ?
To the wood thickness ? Or is it just random ?
?
*Some* of the pointy bodies don't work out all that well for bass (be careful with the bodies that are already neck heavy in guitar form).

But they're absolutely out there. Check with Neal Moser (https://nealmoserguitars.com/). He'll definitely build you something with sharpened edges.

DHF1234
Shouldn't you be more focused on the sound/tone of the bass than if it's pointy or not?
***************Sig***************
Taylor 314 & GS Mini & Martin LX1
Jackson Concert Bass JS3 ($300-$400) is like a superstrat style, so it's headstock is pointy and the whole thing is just sick! (Playing, sound, look, and price considered.)
Quote by bar2271
John liked basses. Period. His collection (which was sold off after his death) was massive. A good book to peruse on this is:

https://www.amazon.com/Bass-Culture-Entwistle-Guitar-Collection/dp/1860745938,

Pointy basses seem cartoonish to me, much like Kiss.
Because bass guitars are pointless.

EDIT: How'd I get to this part of the forum looool
Free Ali
Free Lard
Last edited by chrismendiola at Aug 10, 2016,
^It must be all of those performance enhancing drugs you take to play guitar better. I should warn you, but being an A-Rod fan is punishment enough at this point.
Quote by anarkee
John liked basses. Period. His collection (which was sold off after his death) was massive. A good book to peruse on this is:

https://www.amazon.com/Bass-Culture-Entwistle-Guitar-Collection/dp/1860745938,

Pointy basses seem cartoonish to me, much like Kiss.

I couldn't get that link to work, but I did find this:.

http://www.basscentre.com/british-bass-masters/the-bass-centre-frankenstein-bass.html

He did use a number of different basses. Frankenstein was a main bass of his. Pointy basses must have been his 80's thing.
I can't find many of them that aren't part of the budget ranges, however Mensinger make one and I'm sure some of the companies like Jackson and ESP would make them as part of their custom line. I can't seem to find production versions of the models though, at least in the UK. Market might be different elsewhere.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
There's loads of them, however they're all in the below 1000€ class and usually not very good. There's also no 5 string version of any but the BC Rich warlock and widow. If you don't count the LTD F-series, but I wouldn't call that pointy, and they're a piece of shit really (I have an F-155).
Quote by Anthropocentric
Your balls. You lost the right to them. Hand them over.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
What kind of person needs to have a Flying V shoved up their vagina?

Join The 7-String Legion! Now!