Page 1 of 2
or is this view of depression and lack of motivation to be "successful" "make something of yourself" etc just seen on the internet, geared toward first world generation that is simply over-privileged ?

if not, then what is it?

social media and technology?
videogames, "netflix", and relying on baby boomer parents for high quality of life in 1st world country ?
job market / economy?
pricey education and debt?
buying a home / renting an apartment too expensive for post-highschool graduation jobs?
feminism and other practices plaguing the minds? lol

maybe this generation just pays more attention to lives of others and do not realize that living in the present and realizing/acquiring self worth is what previous generations thought is all about... not just survival.

or

maybe it's not a problem at all for this overall generation, and this is just an over-privileged generation constant that have been happening since the beginning of times ... comfort and luxury

discuss

EDIT:
title is supposed to be ARE ... why can't we change/fix our thread titles after submitting in 2016?
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

Last edited by k.lainad at Aug 1, 2016,
Quote by korinaflyingv
wtf is over-priveleged? do you want to go back to living in caves or something

very good point
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)

Quote by The_Blode
^ I don't like what the generation has become either. . .I look around me in the office, people are glued to screens, and when I'm walking home, people are glued to the phone screens, we're all glued to our screens. . .I make a conscious effort to stay away from my screen as much as possible these days. . .and enjoy being 'offline' too many people are living online lives and I've lived an online life a few times. . .and it wasn't real. . .no online lives are real. . .I've been off FB for what feels like a long time now and I don't miss it. . .and I don't do other social networks. . .I'm happier for not doing those things and generally not using my computer for much other than shopping and gaming. . .I watch DVDs, I play CDs, I game on my Xbox, I read books, I draw I go for walks I like paper. . .I truly want to return to a time before the smartphone generation and like that one song by Red Hot Chili Peppers, "Throw Away Your Television" I think that song should be rerecorded as "Throw Away Your Precious Smartphone" also like that one song by LB "My Generation" "Welcome to Generation X, Generation strange...Generation smartphone" I'm seriously tempted to ditch my smartphone. . .and revert back to my Nokia 103

hey blodie nice to see ya

i agree man, im tempted to deactivate my facebook... for like the 4th time lol
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

Quote by The_Blode

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.

Last edited by k.lainad at Aug 1, 2016,
....oh uh

ON ANOTHER NOTE

I don't know dude, I don't have the current drive to discuss such an open question with all those variables.
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
Quote by -Mantra-
I'm really tired and can't make sense of your first sentence.

nah it's because your IQ is only 47 :P
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

Quote by The_Blode

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.

Quote by k.lainad
nah it's because your IQ is only 47 :P

Good one
You're a proper clown :P
There's two sides to the story.

On the one hand, I very much agree it's really depressing seeing so many people glued to their smart phones, especially in social situations such as at the dinner table.

But I don't think that smart phones are bad and everyone needs to get rid of them.

Also I've always been a gamer, growing up my parents would frequently moan at me that I spend too much time on the PC etc, which I find baffling.

I'm actually writing a podcast on this topic at the moment... not sure if I was going to ditch the idea for being too preachy though. The jist was, I don't get why people think they have the right to tell others what they should be enjoying and what they shouldn't.

As with everything there are people who take things to the extreme, but they don't represent everyone. I would say phones at the dinner table is actually too common to even be called "extreme," and so I find it a problem.

But enjoying myself playing games? Why is that any worse than reading a book, playing a musical instrument, or watching a film? Because you don't communicate? Except you can with certain online gaming communities. Because you don't develop any skills? Not necessarily true, games can be a gateway to all sorts of creative outlets such as making music, writing stories or dialogue, art/design.

Anyway I'm stepping on the toes of my podcast and going off topic so I'll stop there.
Last edited by Gaz_m2k5 at Aug 1, 2016,
Quote by Gaz_m2k5

On the one hand, I very much agree it's really depressing seeing so many people glued to their smart phones, especially in social situations such as at the dinner table.

But I don't think that smart phones are bad and everyone needs to get rid of them.

Also I've always been a gamer, growing up my parents would frequently moan at me that I spend too much time on the PC etc, which I find baffling.

I'm actually writing a podcast on this topic at the moment... not sure if I was going to ditch the idea for being too preachy though. The jist was, I don't get why people think they have the right to tell others what they should be enjoying and what they shouldn't.

As with everything there are people who take things to the extreme, but they don't represent everyone. I would say phones at the dinner table is actually too common to even be called "extreme," and so I find it a problem.

But enjoying myself playing games? Why is that any worse than reading a book, playing a musical instrument, or watching a film? Because you don't communicate? Except you can with certain online gaming communities. Because you don't develop any skills? Not necessarily true, games can be a gateway to all sorts of creative outlets such as making music, writing stories or dialogue, art/design.

Anyway I'm stepping on the toes of my podcast and going off topic so I'll stop there.

good post
i play a lot of videogames on my consoles, watch movies, listen to a lot of music
all of these have given me an outlet for my creativity and have allowed me to understand things about myself and the world better...
but i try to have balance to support my idea of becoming more motivated for school, gym, etc and to prevent myself from "binging" on these luxury's (which for me, leads to short term depression and isolation)

people using their smartphone while having dinner with parents? sounds absurd in the home setting, but kids do it when eating out at restaurants with their parents all the time where i live....
culture shift i guess, maybe lack of control? hmmm
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

Quote by The_Blode

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.

Some of it I think is the "post modern condition", which is that we're now more aware of the problems of creating universal, stable systems of politics, culture, identity and as a result we find ourselves fractured between different places. I find it hard to effectively articulate that one. Thoughtless irony is a severe problem, too, which ties in with the cynicism towards politics, religion, education, information etc. Another (massive) part being nihilism. That's all a bit of a mish-mash though

Some of it is that, inevitably, the closer one is to a society that alleges or otherwise affects values of egalitarianism, equality etc due to high power, wealth, government or w/e means that inequality becomes in some ways more stark a contrast. That idealism is given a space which isn't granted so much in less ideal circumstances. The difference being that in more severe climates people will rebel; here that rebellion and observation of inequalities is neutered for whatever reasons.

I do think that technology is abused - I don't think that, from many reasonable positions, there are many good arguments to saying that today's technology is inherently "bad". But there's a serious lack of experiential _______ for a lot of the younger generations. Certainly not a system of reward. Pokemon Go exists I guess but frankly I find that near-dystopian in terms of "yeah but look kids are going outside!".

Some of it is likely something to do with commodification and reduction of things like education - in the social sphere - to little more than a means to profit, work a means to continue working etc, but that's much more a matter of perspective. And more to the point, where you are. imo many people have simply stopped living.
Praise the Z-Dog, my DADDY
Last edited by Banjocal at Aug 1, 2016,
Quote by The_Blode
^ I'm trying to strip back all the modern first world conveniences too. . .I've gone back to a bar of soap as apposed to shower gel. . .

nice that's epic
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by The_Blode
^ I'm trying to strip back all the modern first world conveniences too. . .I've gone back to a bar of soap as apposed to shower gel. . .

Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

Quote by The_Blode

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.

Quote by Banjocal
Some of it I think is the "post modern condition", which is that we're now more aware of the problems of creating universal, stable systems of politics, culture, identity and as a result we find ourselves fractured between different places. I find it hard to effectively articulate that one. Thoughtless irony is a severe problem, too, which ties in with the cynicism towards politics, religion, education, information etc. Another (massive) part being nihilism. That's all a bit of a mish-mash though

Some of it is that, inevitably, the closer one is to a society that alleges or otherwise affects values of egalitarianism, equality etc due to high power, wealth, government or w/e means that inequality becomes in some ways more stark a contrast. That idealism is given a space which isn't granted so much in less ideal circumstances. The difference being that in more severe climates people will rebel; here that rebellion and observation of inequalities is neutered for whatever reasons.

I do think that technology is abused - I don't think that, from many reasonable positions, there are many good arguments to saying that today's technology is inherently "bad". But there's a serious lack of experiential _______ for a lot of the younger generations. Certainly not a system of reward. Pokemon Go exists I guess but frankly I find that near-dystopian in terms of "yeah but look kids are going outside!".

Some of it is likely something to do with commodification and reduction of things like education - in the social sphere - to little more than a means to profit, work a means to continue working etc, but that's much more a matter of perspective. And more to the point, where you are. imo many people have simply stopped living.

OMFG i hate pokemon go it's such a lame trend
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

Quote by The_Blode

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.

k.lainad
I'm sure it's quite fun. But I do wonder
Praise the Z-Dog, my DADDY
Last edited by Banjocal at Aug 1, 2016,
its because of the baby boomers have ruined the economy and inflated the housing market so much that goals such as owning your own home and starting a family and saving for retirement are such long term and ultimately unacheivable goals that our generation's only pleasure is that of instant gratitude
Fixed your thread title, u r welcome
My God, it's full of stars!
I don't think it's a problem unique to our generation, although I guess it comes and goes in waves.

As a sad and lazy person, I can definitely say that not everyone is like me. Most of the people I went to school with are now responsible adults in well paying jobs. We were raised with an awareness of global issues like hunger, poverty, disease, water shortages and climate change. There's certainly a lot of people my age and younger who feel some sort of duty to "save the world". On the other hand, there's just as many who think these problems are too big and they are powerless to stop them.
I had a bad depression pretty much from late October to the end of school year. The workload was insane and it got to me, every time I made a mistake I would mentally abuse myself to the point of hating myself. I know i'm still not in a great mental state, but I'm a lot better than I was.

Next year is my last year, so even though the workload will be just as much if not more, hopefully I'll know to just hang on until June.
Quote by Gaz_m2k5

Smartphones etc. have been able to dominante peoples lives, because of the portablility and the virtually unlimited amount of information/interaction they afford. Books, newspapers and T.V. never even came close to offering 24hrs of unlimited information and interaction that can be taken basically anywhere one goes.

Just look around in restaurants, movies, parks, busses, cars, schools, even just walking down the sidewalk or through a grocery store or mall people are so involved in their phones that often they are oblivious to their surroundings.

I'm not saying smartphones are bad or need to go away but humans were able to survive before they were invented, now many would find it difficult to function withour one. It all comes down to how much an individual allows the technology to dominate their lives something some younger people, especially those who do not remember what it was like before smartphones, seem to have difficulty doing.

I find it interesting that Steve Jobs and some other executives in the tech industry shelter their kids form these types of technology or at least place some serious limitations on their exposure to it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/11/fashion/steve-jobs-apple-was-a-low-tech-parent.html?_r=0
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Aug 1, 2016,
Quote by Evilnine
Smartphones etc. have been able to dominante peoples lives, because of the portablility and the virtually unlimited amount of information/interaction they afford. Books, newspapers and T.V. never even came close to offering 24hrs of unlimited information and interaction that can be taken basically anywhere one goes.

Just look around in restaurants, movies, parks, busses, cars, schools, even just walking down the sidewalk or through a grocery store or mall people are so involved in their phones that often they are oblivious to their surroundings.

I'm not saying smartphones are bad or need to go away but humans were able to survive before they were invented, now many would find it difficult to function withour one. It all comes down to how much an individual allows the technology to dominate their lives something some younger people, especially those who do not remember what it was like before smartphones, seem to have difficulty doing.

I find it interesting that Steve Jobs and some other executives in the tech industry shelter their kids form these types of technology or at least place some serious limitations on their exposure to it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/11/fashion/steve-jobs-apple-was-a-low-tech-parent.html?_r=0

the thing is, people say that everyone is on their phones all the time but you are only seeing a snapshot of their life

im on my phone on my usual walk home? why? because i do it every day and the scenery is fucking boring

trust me when im somewhere new and interesting my phone stays in my pocket

its just like people reading papers on the bus etc. taking phones away won't suddenly result in strangers talking to each other and world peace, its just you're projecting your own views on small bits of evidence like seeing someone use their phone in public
Every person I know under the age of 20 is lazy as hell. Plus, most are spoiled rotten and think society owes them stuff.
Last edited by TobusRex at Aug 1, 2016,
Quote by Dreadnought

Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

Quote by The_Blode

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.

Quote by The_Blode
. . .I watch DVDs, I play CDs, I game on my Xbox,

And all these are done on a screen...

You're the guy carrying 5 pounds of bullshit and damning the person that carries 6.

To the actual topic, no, the current generation is no more, and no less, lazy than any before it. All this nonsense about "the new generation" has been used, in varying formats, for ages.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Last edited by Arby911 at Aug 1, 2016,
If you're trying to brag about how active your life is it helps to have an actually active life.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
You're sad because you're not out in nature enough.

Quote by Dreadnought

Still needs work
i'm not really depressed but i am unmotivated in that way that you describe. i still have a good job in which i'm progressing, but i'm only still there and doing well because it's a pretty relaxed office. and i don't like to think or acknowledge that my work is important. but, i'm surprised at how few of my friends feel the same way - there's no trend, it's not like the smarter ones are more depressed or anything like that.

i attribute my own condition to never having to struggle for anything though. never truly felt the need for more food, more clothes, better grades, a decent job...just told that it was necessary
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Last edited by vIsIbleNoIsE at Aug 1, 2016,
Quote by The_Blode
^ how does one listen to a CD on a screen? But yeah, I'm not bragging, I'm just noticing people ingrossed in their smartphones and I feel like the only guy who's not at that moment in time. . .and it's not just a glimpse. . .it's everybody on the bus. . .or most people in the town centre. . .it's people waiting at traffic lights in cars, it's people in the canteen on their lunch break. . .I take more notice because I'm not on the smart phone

you're being self absorbed

the bus is boring. people are catching up on the news, talking to their friends and family on whatsapp, might actually be texting someone to tell them where they're going

you're not taking "any more notice" and you're not a special snowflake in any sort of way, most others are perfectly aware, they just don't find interest in the general mundanity of life
Quote by The_Blode
^ how does one listen to a CD on a screen? But yeah, I'm not bragging, I'm just noticing people ingrossed in their smartphones and I feel like the only guy who's not at that moment in time. . .and it's not just a glimpse. . .it's everybody on the bus. . .or most people in the town centre. . .it's people waiting at traffic lights in cars, it's people in the canteen on their lunch break. . .I take more notice because I'm not on the smart phone

Music on a CD is different than music on a smartphone? Alert the media!!

Passive participation is passive participation, regardless of your pedantic pretense.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by The_Blode

Soap is a first world convenience. Chuck it in the bin.
Free Ali
i'm a go nowhere
go nowhere
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
I think it's also an issue of visibility versus an actual increase

We're now so thoroughly aware of so many minute elements of each other's lives where many things feel like a sudden epidemic. I think it's definitely a mistake to assume 'I see it more therefor it occurs more often' in light of something like the internet. It could very well be that you simply didn't see it before. I think that same concept can apply to many young people's view of the world. Things do not seem hopeful based on what mass media portrays. Young people aren't exactly encouraged to have a positive outlook on life. Hell, they're not even encouraged to have a positive outlook on themselves. Often, the generation that's calling the shots is the one pointing at young people and acting like we are the ones dragging things down. It seems to me that many of the voices crying "entitlement!" have an issue with taking responsibility for their actions.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by chrismendiola
Soap is a first world convenience. Chuck it in the bin.

Are bins a first world convenience?
Quote by BladeSlinger
I think it's also an issue of visibility versus an actual increase

We're now so thoroughly aware of so many minute elements of each other's lives where many things feel like a sudden epidemic. I think it's definitely a mistake to assume 'I see it more therefor it occurs more often' in light of something like the internet. It could very well be that you simply didn't see it before. I think that same concept can apply to many young people's view of the world. Things do not seem hopeful based on what mass media portrays. Young people aren't exactly encouraged to have a positive outlook on life. Hell, they're not even encouraged to have a positive outlook on themselves. Often, the generation that's calling the shots is the one pointing at young people and acting like we are the ones dragging things down. It seems to me that many of the voices crying "entitlement!" have an issue with taking responsibility for their actions.

why young people are resentful of the older generation is because they've seemingly got their comfortable lives and retirements and have then pulled the ladder up. not saying that old people don't face hardship or anything but with their gold plated pensions and their home ownership it's hard to feel a lot of sympathy for them. they just seem to lack a fundamental empathy of the situation younger people are in. you can't just walk into a place now hand in your CV and get a job. house prices are so expensive, far in excess proportionally to wage growth, and when young people do speak out and ask for change they get called "entitled" and "spoiled" by people like seanlang.
Wrt actual depression and other mental illnesses/differences, there are more resources available for diagnosis and treatment now and there is less stigma attached to a diagnosis, so people are more open about it than they might have been a generation or two ago. I feel that this might also be the case for other hardships in life not associated with mental illness which is why it might seem more prevalent nowadays.

I personally can't relate to the idea that my generation is worse off than previous generations because I was born with far more advantages in life than my parents, grandparents, etc. and the obstacles I face are more easily surmountable than what they had to overcome just to make ends meet. So I just don't have it in me to be unmotivated. I doubt my parents would mind if I was, but I would feel very guilty about it. So yeah, I do sometimes feel that people who complain about certain things are quite spoiled.
cat
Last edited by guitarxo at Aug 1, 2016,
No idea what the hell OP is asking but here's my approximation...

Personally, I like seeing others succeed. Even if they've finely tuned their social media to show only the good, whatever, it doesn't make me feel bad by comparison. If someone I know makes a great accomplishment, that gives me better confidence that I can do the same.

What I HATE seeing is whining, complaining, excess/vague venting, etc, but I don't have many of those types in my connections and have dropped those who are like that.

You are the average of those around you. Actively seek better people and you become better. Same is true for worse people.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Page 1 of 2