We wanna cover a song as a new band to gain at least a little more attention.Didnt knew it would be this hard lol.What should we go for? taking a completely random song and playing it our own way? taking a song like fear of the dark the way it is? or choosing a song close to our style? old songs or new songs?
Take something you really love to play and can lose yourself in deep emotional expression while doing this. For me - I prefer to play the cover songs my way but it is also highly appreciated by the audience if the song that they love is played exactly as the original. However, the latter one is more common for the tribute bands that play only cover songs. If your intention is to play your original repertoire I would go for the first option.

When my band was just starting we chose Heaven And Hell by Black Sabbath mixed with Paranoid (we made a medley) as we had lots of expresive fun playing it and because of it we were able to make a good show out of it.
If you play in a metal band, covers won't do you much good. Nobody goes to watch a metal band to see them do a cover. This isn't hippie rock where you pull out a Bob Dylan tune and jam for half an hour.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
This is a refreshing discussion of heavy covers including metal with a lot of good examples. Pick a tune that suits your band well and make it your own.

http://www.vh1.com/news/13680/top-18-heavy-metal-hard-rock-cover-songs/
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by Cajundaddy
This is a refreshing discussion of heavy covers including metal with a lot of good examples. Pick a tune that suits your band well and make it your own.

http://www.vh1.com/news/13680/top-18-heavy-metal-hard-rock-cover-songs/

It's unbelievable that anyone how much of a misunderstanding the writer of the article has about metal. The level of ignorance regarding the subject matter is appalling (but completely expected from such a rubbish source as VH1) and the list of covers is absolutely laughable from start to finish.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
This is why Metallica has so many great cover songs; they picked NWOBM hidden gems that had a fantastic foundation with mediocre presentation.

triggered
Who are you? The prince of darkness? Don't you have any friends?

Quote by progbass
Booty bothered level on a scale of cool cucumber to holocaust?

Madder than finding out that TS doesn't play blackened slam.
make blackened slam great again