0 0%
Cover 7
2 22%
Cover 8
1 11%
Voters: 9.
Hello

Don't bogart that joint my friend.

Here are some covers of songs from the 70's. Man, that number looks sexy.
Next Covers week will revolve around the 60's, which should be interesting.

On a more serious note, ultimate-slash disappeared.

---------------------------
Also, next week it's "Free Week". You can submit any song you've been working on without the usual one week time constraint. Think of it as an incentive to finish a song!
----- nevermind this, it's for the next covers thread

The objective of this thread is to vote on the song you like the most, but remember: don't base your vote on the quality of the recording, base it on the content.

Here they are:

1 - "On The Beach (Neil Young cover)" (Trifonas)

2 - "Rhiannon (Fleetwood Mac cover)" (chev311e)

3 - "Quicksand (David Bowie cover)" (SirZep)

4 - "After the Gold Rush (Neil Young cover)" (xTURTLENECKx)

5 - "Free Bird (Lynyrd Skynyrd cover)" (whywefight)

6 - "Rock n' Roll (Led Zeppelin cover)" (nico_9550)

7 - "Kashmir (Led Zeppelin cover)" (FoOltz)

8 - "Tragedy (Bee Gees cover)" (ultimate-slash)

------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is last time's most voted COVER, from ultimate-slash, it's "Wicked Game (Chris Isaak cover)"!

AND

Here is last week's most voted ORIGINAL song,
from SirZep, it's "Yami=1 (The Quiet Man Sings)"!
------------------------------------------------------------------

If you too want to become a better songwriter/gigolo consider joining our group (http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/mozartfactory/), all the info you need to join this weekly "contest" is there.

The votes will be counted this Saturday (post your song for next week meanwhile). The winner of this week's voting will be a mod in our group.

------------------
Que raio estou a fazer com a minha vida.

Check out last week's thread here: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1705453
OR
Check out the previous COVERS thread here: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1699410
Last edited by Minicaxotinho at Aug 5, 2016,
rest in your ultimate pieces, mr. slash

shine on, you crazy diamond

adios, buckaroo

goodnight, mr. sun. may you rise against radiating just as bright as before
I'm not sure, I could end up voting for either trifonas', turtleneck's, or foltz's. also the soft break in ult/'s cover (RIP) is fantastic
Fuck
I forgot about nick drake
I should've done pink moon

Probably going to listen to the tracks sometime today
Just cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there.
Quote by Trifonas
Fuck
I forgot about nick drake
I should've done pink moon

Probably going to listen to the tracks sometime today

I was genuinely considering doing Nick Drake, but I couldn't do it justice...

What with being dead/invisible and all
I wonder if ultimate-slash knows the thread is up, wherever he may be.
His song pic is pretty cool.
Last edited by Minicaxotinho at Aug 2, 2016,
As much as I hate to admit it, those Bowie vocals were top notch

Also, more wwf acoustics pls

Oh, and trifonas, you need to fight sirzep for stealing your vote at the last second
Last edited by ultimate-slash at Aug 4, 2016,
Bump because we still have less votes than submissions. And thats just dumb

Lets get some words on these songs too. Ill write something on each when I get home, there should be plenty to work with
1- Sounds tight af, pretty professional, but how much reverb is too much? I don't know. Is this even reverb. I like this cover. Even though I can't understand some words.

2- Doesn't sound tight af, and the singing needs improvement/more confidence. Also it's too far back in the mix. I don't like the occasional aah's.
The guitars are very nice though. I found this track oddly mesmerizing.

3- Pretty tight. Nice vocals, they make this cover for me. The guitar is a little boring, too plain for me.

4- The electrotechnoshizzlemahnizzle intro is cool but drags on a little too much. Different vibe from the original, kinda stands on its own, good job.

5- Great intro. This cover makes me imagine a lonely person sitting in a rocking chair staring longingly in the horizon through a broken window. Lo-fi chill cover. Made me forget the original is cheesy. Couldn't understand the words as clearly as I'd like, maybe the recording messed it up, idk. Maybe... it added to the lo-fi chillness. Idk. I feel like I didn't say much about it, and feel obliged to keep writing. Great outro.

6- This was quite different. The vocals weren't spot on, which took away the jazzy vibe for me, but it was still quite entertaining. Maybe the fact that there were vocals was enough to take away the jazzy vibe, I don't remember hearing vocals in jazz. I don't listen to much jazz. Anyway, all I know is they felt out of place.

7- Metal af. Maybe a little too over the top, but Went ok with the vocal style. Speaking of which, your vocals have tons of effects/reverb/???, can't really understand what you're saying in some parts. I know this is your style, but decided to point it out. The vocals weren't exactly on point, but they were the right kind of crazy for this cover. I don't think that last sentence made much sense. The guitar part around 3:00 dragged on too long.

8- RIP ulti/. I'll write as if he's reading this. Hopefully he is, somewhere. :'(
Vocals weren't always on point, still, good job. Maybe would have been better with more well defined pauses (0:42, "holding you, holding you" etc...). Like Zep's cover, I found the instrumentation a bit bland here. At 3:51 I thought some gypsy stuff was about to happen, was disappointed that it didn't. Overall nice cover. Great song pic.
It's hard to bear.
Quote by K'Nuckles
Aw fuck, I would have taken part if I'd known about it
What would you have covered?
It really is

But I didn't like it

(but yeah it's not your fault)
Last edited by Minicaxotinho at Aug 5, 2016,
1. this highlights the vocal melody and lyrics really nicely, which is great because I forgot how gorgeous the vocal melody of this song is. one of my favorites this week and one of the few I enjoy more than the original. the tender vibrato is ?

2. I think I prefer the more upbeatness of the original. The drums and bass sound uber dry compared to the heavily reverbed guitar and vocals. Maybe more of a slapback style reverb would've been better? Still a fairly interesting cover

3. I don't care for David Bowie much so I didn't listen to the original the whole way through but the cover's good. I think I appreciate it more than I enjoy it. It's fairly well performed and I like how the reversed guitars are arranged

4. That rhodes vst is gorgeous and the drums and the ghostly vocals are tasteful too. Could've used more going on as it progressed but it's pleasant enough to listen to as is.

5. 'Made me forget the original is cheesy' was like my only goal ngl. It's probably because I don't pronunciate for shit mini, I practiced this cover for all of an hour and recorded it in one take lmao. IIRC I was kinda drunk too.

6. I just realised it's kinda a damn shame that this and #4 don't have any votes, that's just not fair. This is beautiful schlock, I love it. Super wink wink. I'll wink back anyday bb.

7. This is everything I was hoping it would be. This song sounds great with Foltz's oppressive wall of guitars sound.

8. Upbeat acoustic stuff is usually not my thing at all but like I said I really like the soft part in the middle.
Quote by ultimate-slash
As much as I hate to admit it, those Bowie vocals were top notch

Also, more wwf acoustics pls

Oh, and trifonas, you need to fight sirzep for stealing your vote at the last second

HOLY SHIT WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN
Guys, I found him!
Shit I lost the deadline again
But i listened to them all

It was a great week and I'd probably have gone with either Quicksand or Free Bird

Also guya thanks for voting for mine since I didn't expect anyone to (never good at covers)

Quote by Minicaxotinho
1- Sounds tight af, pretty professional, but how much reverb is too much? I don't know. Is this even reverb. I like this cover. Even though I can't understand some words.

I did it drunk at about 3am with my phone's microphone
And then (still drunk) tried to shape it up with some reverb and stuff

Ulti I'm glad we found you
I was scared of going to the bathroom alone
Just cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there.
sad acoustic covers are just wrong if you're not a little bit drunk

and recording it off a phone obvs

thanks to foltz for making my phone vibrate at the beginning
Last edited by whywefight at Aug 6, 2016,
Quote by whywefight

6. I just realised it's kinda a damn shame that this and #4 don't have any votes, that's just not fair. This is beautiful schlock, I love it. Super wink wink. I'll wink back anyday bb.

winky wink

the phone vibration at the beginning was crucial for the song imo
Last edited by nico_9550 at Aug 6, 2016,