we have had these threads before but not for a while. so maybe here is a go?

i have stopped saying, "One more _____ and i will stop buying _____." a long time ago.

i have stopped saying "I will only get another _____ if i sell a _____." a while ago too.

i am just going to keep getting stuff, and i have a lot.

to justify something to the Mrs., i find something else that seems different enough from what i have to make her think that i don't have one.

i think she is on to me.

NOW, i am looking at banjos, mandolins, and basses.

there is NO END IN SIGHT. and i do not fucking care.

/rant.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I am with you 100%, bro!

Je sui trashedlostfdup!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by Captaincranky
Buy yourself a divorce. You apparently don't have one of those yet....

haha.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
I think I have been doing relatively good because I do not play on my rig that much. So it all still seems pretty fresh and new and exciting.

Maybe that is the key. We just need to stop playing music so much.

EDIT: And I should say do not listen to me because I JUST posted in the Electric Guitar thread about a new guitar.
Last edited by Will Lane at Aug 2, 2016,
Quote by dannyalcatraz
I am with you 100%, bro!

Je sui trashedlostfdup!

Says the guy with a lone, lonely amp...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Shoot, I own something like, what....30 guitars, I just bought another one last weekend, the WIFE fell in love with that one too. Little red Memphis A-2TR (I'm still waiting for my review of it to turn up).
My Current Mains
- 1996 Fender Jag-Stang with EMG Pickups
- 1998 Fender Jaguar with Cool Rails
- 1982 Hondo Paul Dean II (DiMarzio Super II X2)
- 2010 "Fender" Jazzmaster (Home built)
- 2013 Squier VM Bass VI (stock)
Quote by Arby911
Says the guy with a lone, lonely amp...

this.

what you need is a new amp.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
I may be near the end... it seems to be not of my own choosing, but thrust upon me by outside forces. I've successfully gone six months without any major purchases and also forced myself to avoid the swapping gear markets... I feel empty and nearly dead inside. It is a bondage unlike anything I have ever known or experienced, and I pray that you might be spared.

I can think of several things that I 'need' but can't get approval for the funds from the person (tyrant) who is holding my wallet hostage... some might call her my wife. She regularly talks about these small creatures living in my home (that look quite similar to her) needing money for school clothing, and supplies. At times, these small creatures appear to have some resemblance to me, perhaps this is because they continue to drain my soul with their many demands and destructive tendencies. She also talks about paying bills and needing food to feed and nurture these small creatures which dwell with us in our home. I'm suspicious of her motives and am fairly certain she merely enjoys torturing my soul.

There may be an end. From what I can tell...it is dark...
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
Quote by ThunderPunk
I may be near the end... it seems to be not of my own choosing, but thrust upon me by outside forces. I've successfully gone six months without any major purchases and also forced myself to avoid the swapping gear markets... I feel empty and nearly dead inside. It is a bondage unlike anything I have ever known or experienced, and I pray that you might be spared.

I can think of several things that I 'need' but can't get approval for the funds from the person (tyrant) who is holding my wallet hostage... some might call her my wife. She regularly talks about these small creatures living in my home (that look quite similar to her) needing money for school clothing, and supplies. At times, these small creatures appear to have some resemblance to me, perhaps this is because they continue to drain my soul with their many demands and destructive tendencies. She also talks about paying bills and needing food to feed and nurture these small creatures which dwell with us in our home. I'm suspicious of her motives and am fairly certain she merely enjoys torturing my soul.

There may be an end. From what I can tell...it is dark...

Read this book, and I bet you will figure out how to rejoin the guitar gear arms race.
https://www.amazon.com/Modest-Proposal-Jonathan-Swift/dp/1603863559
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Aug 2, 2016,
Just bought my second guitar and am planning a third in the future. Pedals and amps are at a point of swapping 1 for 1, not adding on (except one more small clean boost if needed).
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
Ive never had more than 5 amps at any given time - so I guess that makes me a minimalist. I'm ok with that.
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
I just sneak em into the mancave now while she's out.
It's tough trying to explain to a non guitarist and specially a woman why i need to spend £1k plus on guitars when "There's perfectly nice ones for £100" and "what does this new one do any differently?They all strum"
I usually say "this is it now,this is the one.I don't need another now"
Then i had to explain why i 'needed' a '77 Strat and got away with it by saying it might be worth more when we retire.However i had absolutely no worthy excuse for why i needed an American std Tele when there's another two Tele's sat there so i sneaked that one in.I mean what can you say?The wood quality is better?I don't even wanna try and explain pickups
The bridge says Fender on it?
The tuning pegs work better?
She is'nt falling for that when it looks like the other two.
i haven't bought a new piece of gear in over 2 years. during 2013 I had a major gear purge and replaced much of it. since then I really haven't had more than a slight urge to buy anything. I really sat back and looked at where my playing was heading and what I honestly felt I needed. with a little luck and some serious research I put together my current setup. is it my dream rig or the "ultimate", no. does it do the job and sound really good, yes.

I've gotten past the point where I can even think about blaming my gear for me not sounding good. if I can't make what I've got sound good then it's me and my playing not the gear. are there things that still interest me sure but do I really need them, at this point not really. still love to demo new gear and do so any chance I get.
Quote by monwobobbo
i haven't bought a new piece of gear in over 2 years. during 2013 I had a major gear purge and replaced much of it. since then I really haven't had more than a slight urge to buy anything. I really sat back and looked at where my playing was heading and what I honestly felt I needed. with a little luck and some serious research I put together my current setup. is it my dream rig or the "ultimate", no. does it do the job and sound really good, yes.

I've gotten past the point where I can even think about blaming my gear for me not sounding good. if I can't make what I've got sound good then it's me and my playing not the gear. are there things that still interest me sure but do I really need them, at this point not really. still love to demo new gear and do so any chance I get.

Quote by dannyalcatraz

not dead yet. now if I'd said I'm never going to buy anything again then perhaps the good doctor could take me off in a nice white sleeveless coat to my padded cell.

my point was more about really looking at yourself as a player and taking the time to do some homework to find what works. in 2013 I bought 2 new guitars, 1 amp and 4 fx pedals to go along with the other gear that I hung on to. I only let go of 2 guitars, 2 amps and I think 5 pedals so it's not like I went nuts. so since I did that 2 1/2 years later I'm till content with what I have and have been able to really dig in and learn the gear.
Quote by monwobobbo

not dead yet. now if I'd said I'm never going to buy anything again then perhaps the good doctor could take me off in a nice white sleeveless coat to my padded cell.

my point was more about really looking at yourself as a player and taking the time to do some homework to find what works. in 2013 I bought 2 new guitars, 1 amp and 4 fx pedals to go along with the other gear that I hung on to. I only let go of 2 guitars, 2 amps and I think 5 pedals so it's not like I went nuts. so since I did that 2 1/2 years later I'm till content with what I have and have been able to really dig in and learn the gear.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Aug 2, 2016,
Quote by dannyalcatraz

enlighten me

been through new gear, vintage gear, boutique gear etc. you name it I've delved in it at some point. definitely comes a day when you have to say " buying something else might not be the plan" sure it's fun (or makes you nuts) but I've been through a ton of gear over my 35+ years of playing. some bought for the right reasons way to much for the wrong or misguided.. besides I'm not a rich lawyer and my wife will just seel my gear to pay one after she kills me
What is this "wife" of which you speak? Is it some kind of gear? A compressor?

I'm not a serious guitarist, and I have no SO or kids. So that I choose to blow some of my money on stööpid amounts of gear affects almost no one. Any shade I throw on those who have found their gear nirvana- or are in the same neighborhood, at least- is strictly in jest.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
What is this "wife" of which you speak? Is it some kind of gear? A compressor?

I'm not a serious guitarist, and I have no SO or kids. So that I choose to blow some of my money on stööpid amounts of gear affects almost no one. Any shade I throw on those who have found their gear nirvana- or are in the same neighborhood, at least- is strictly in jest.

yeah I knew you were just messing with me. once upon a time I had no SO or other considerations outside me self. those days are gone. actually the mrs has been pretty good about the gear but at this point I'm not in a band so it's tough to tell her I need more. now as to your question yes a wife is a kind of compressor as in piss her off she compresses your head with the nearest heavy kitchen item

funny you mentioned gear nirvana as personally I don't really believe in that. no matter what you have somewhere out there is something that is better, you just don't always know it. this is the thing that gets many players and results in the never ending chase. if you have the money great but for those of us that don't you have to get to the "good enough" point and be satisfied.
I think gear nirvana exists for some guitarists...even if it is as hard to find as Brigadoon or Xanadu.

I was headed down that path but now I've been stuck on the same guitar and amp for a few years now and can't find anything I'd rather use for longer than a couple days. I'm...set. Though I have been going through distortion pedals quite a bit, looking for the perfect dirt box. But even with that I think I'm set with a Radial Tone Bone Classic that I been loving the hell outta.

I sold my spare amps and a lotta guitars, packed a few guitars up and stored them at my parents place for future family and have been having as much fun as ever. If not, more fun, cause I know my guitar so well and we get along great.

Coincidentally, my playing is better than ever, my tone is better than ever.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Sure, just rub our noses in your new-found, downsizing-assisted focus.

Quote by WSUJ_Steve
Here I am agonizing over the first real purchase... Apparently I don't NEED to stop.. Ever

Apparently the choice you have to make is between one big purchase or a whole steaming pile of little ones.
I managed to rein things in on the keyboard front, thanks to Korg stuffing everything remotely imaginable into my current pair.
Electronics are catching up on the guitar end of things, but for a while it seemed as if death or a dumptruck were all that was going to save me from stringed instrument-induced homelessness.
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Sure, just rub our noses in your new-found, downsizing-assisted focus.

It's a 12-step program.

One Day At A Time.
Well i still have space on my wall for atleast another 4 guitars and floor space for another 3.Also enough space for a few small amps or a half stack.That is my measure of when enough is enough.
Quote by dspellman
It's a 12-step program.

One Day At A Time.

Says the guy who alleges bins of old pedals and storage units full of 4x12's...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Trashed, don't stop there. Get a few dobros while you're at it Actually getting things done so my mom can sell my dad's old instruments, not easy finding places that will take 3 handmade dobros and a Stelling Staghorn!
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Quote by dspellman
Apparently the choice you have to make is between one big purchase or a whole steaming pile of little ones.
I managed to rein things in on the keyboard front, thanks to Korg stuffing everything remotely imaginable into my current pair.
Electronics are catching up on the guitar end of things, but for a while it seemed as if death or a dumptruck were all that was going to save me from stringed instrument-induced homelessness.

Oh yes, we're going for the big purchase.. Ish.. I'm going a little modest on the amp. But, it'll be more than enough for me, for now.
I am pretty happy at the moment. I use BIAS on my iPad to satisfy my tweaking cravings, the two Music Man guitars I have are by far my favorite instruments I have ever owned, and the Mark IV and pedalboard allows me the thrill of cranking up a real amp when I have the time and space for it. I still get the urge for having a real, high-dollar modeler sometimes, but I really enjoy trying to get the most out of my little iPad BIAS setup. If the Helix starts coming down a bit in price on the used market, I'll probably look into picking one up.

The rate of acquisition has slowed significantly. For a while I was trading or buying new gear (amps, specifically) on a monthly basis. From the time I was 16 until I turned 20, I probably went through amps on an average of 4 weeks per amp. I've had my Mark IV for 7 months now with no sign of getting rid of it.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
I'm sitting good, really. I still intend to spend money on guitars and on a good bass, but it's not like a I need them. I have a lovely SG and a great Tele that do anything I want for the most part and then I have 3 more guitars that I can put in whatever tunings to noodle around with. I have a Thunderbird that I love the sound of (but I really want a 5 string jazz bass as well) and I have a cheap classical guitar that does the job when I want it those 5 times a year.

The Kemper has been wonderful for me. I sometimes still think of getting some amp but then I just think that my Kemper nails that sound already. And while I really enjoy nice pedals with tons of options, they're very redundant at the moment for what I play. I'll probably end up getting more guitars to have more options, but that more out of wanting those guitars than "needing" one for a certain sound. I'd like to get a good Les Paul (a Custom or an R8 maybe), but it's not like it wouldn't play my SG anymore when I get one.
I'm in a lull right now, in a positive way. Got guitars sorted out over the last year, and I don't feel the need for any more. Two electrics and an acoustic is a comfortable equilibrium for me, so I'm good for a few years at least.
Amps are hopefully in a similar spot, finally got a Shiva a couple of months ago and it's been performing as I'd hoped, which means I'm safe until I move into a bigger place and have space for a third amp again. Three seems to be a good number for me.
Pedals...hard to say. Got a second delay in the mail, sold a bunch of drives after I got the Bogner, feel like I have everything I need but the pull is strong and there's always something new and interesting. I'm in a tough spot because I've got enough space to squeeze one or two more pedals onto my current board but I don't want to take any off to fit onto a smaller board. That's a dangerous place to be.
I was discussing buying another guitar with my bassist last night and he asks, "how many guitars do you own?"
So I counts them up and said, "including acoustics, 12. So obviously I need another."
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Roc8995
I'm in a tough spot because I've got enough space to squeeze one or two more pedals onto my current board but I don't want to take any off to fit onto a smaller board. That's a dangerous place to be.

Oooooohhh...you are SO fluxed.

Quote by Cathbard
I was discussing buying another guitar with my bassist last night and he asks, "how many guitars do you own?"
So I counts them up and said, "including acoustics, 12. So obviously I need another."
I think that would depend on whether you're a "glass half empty person", at which point 13 guitars would be unlucky, or a, "glass half full person", which would give you "a baker's dozen"!
Last edited by Captaincranky at Aug 4, 2016,
I bought it anyway. Too good a deal to pass over. I aint superstitious. Oh and anyway, I forgot to count my cigar box guitar so it's actually guitar 14 anyway.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
i think i have around seventeen electrics, two acoustics, fiveish classical, sixteen tube amps, two hybrids (vintage musicman), maybe two SS amps, and north of thirty pedals. i will stop buying stuff the day my heart stops beating.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!