Page 1 of 2
Home ownership in England has fallen to its lowest level in 30 years as the growing gap between earnings and property prices has created a housing crisis that extends beyond London to cities including Manchester.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2016/aug/02/home-ownership-in-england-at-lowest-level-in-30-years-as-housing-crisis-grows

Bad times. I can't ever see myself owning a house. We are generation rent.

Would you like to own a house? Do you ever see yourself owning one? Should I just fufil one of my marriage pacts early in order to possibly have enough combined income and savings to get a deposit by age 30?

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Last edited by EndTheRapture51 at Aug 2, 2016,
You ever just listen to the smiths when going down between the butt cheeks?
You hit 'em and they get back up
I hit 'em and they stay down
- Frank Castle
Reported + blocked

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
I'd like to own a house at one point. No rush though, and I'm fine with renting for the foreseeable future.
In any case, it's not really an issue for me, as I plan to become a billionaire anyway.
I'd love to own a house but at the same time I don't wanna be tied down to any one particular place for the rest of my life. It's immaterial anyway, at present the chances of us owning a house are slim. Might change in the future but a lot has to happen before then.

But basically I fucked it when I was 19. Had a full time job paying over a grand a month, my dad was only charging me like £100 a month board. Instead of putting all that spare cash aside to save for a deposit I spent it on a holiday and a car. The car was a big ongoing expense and I squandered the rest of my income on I don't know what. Ended up defaulting on my car insurance a few days before writing my car off, but didn't find out until the tow truck didn't come back.

Luckily the write-off was a result of someone hitting me and their insurer gave me £1000 for the car, but because I'd defaulted on the previous insurance I wasn't able to pay my new car's insurance monthly, which meant borrowing money off both my parents, which I was still paying off until my dad decided it was time I moved out at 21.

So I'm left with bad credit history and not being able to save for a deposit, although I've been reliably paying rent for the best part of three years now. But my wife and I both need substantial pay rises and the discipline to stick to our current lifestyle if we're ever gonna save up for a house.

I don't mind renting though, I've only had one dodgy landlord but even then on the day-to-day they weren't bad. The whole 'you're only paying off someone else's mortgage' line doesn't really bother me as that's all you're doing when you spend money on anything. At least while renting all the work that needs doing to the property is my landlord's responsibility, not mine. Although my current landlord dragged his heels a bit on replacing our shower.

So yeah, it'd be a nice thing to have but it's never been a priority or anything I ever thought I'd achieve anyway.
My old signature was too long. Have a daisy.

Last edited by RAB11 at Aug 2, 2016,
I hate renting. The monthly cost is the same as a mortgage but currently, my wife and I are not able to save for a deposit for a house. Not that it really matters since house prices rose from an average of £225 000 in 2006 to an average of £696 000 in 2016 with a projection by the end of the year that the average house will tip £700 000 in my area.

Renting is pissing money away. In the ten years I have been at university (4 year degree, 1 year masters, 4 year PhD) I have spent £62 500 on rent. That is enough for a deposit on a house. Renting is bullshit, house prices are ridiculous and in all honesty, the government should just take away all profit motive for home ownership. Housing is a necessity. Either force down house prices or build more social housing so that people can have cheaper affordable rent. Remove the free market from housing, it doesnt help, it hinders. Fuck sake my wife and I have a combined income of £47 000 and we cant afford to buy a cunting house.
Sat in a lab, curing diseases. They actually LET me play with chemicals!
I am fortunate enough to have a cut of a property through inheritance when my parents die, but i'm not sure how all my siblings are going to want to settle on it.
Dance in the moonlight my old friend twilight

Quote by metal4eva_22
What's this about ****ing corpses? My UG senses were tingling.
Quote by Guitardude19

Renting is pissing money away. In the ten years I have been at university (4 year degree, 1 year masters, 4 year PhD) I have spent £62 500 on rent. That is enough for a deposit on a house. Renting is bullshit, house prices are ridiculous and in all honesty, the government should just take away all profit motive for home ownership. Housing is a necessity. Either force down house prices or build more social housing so that people can have cheaper affordable rent. Remove the free market from housing, it doesnt help, it hinders. Fuck sake my wife and I have a combined income of £47 000 and we cant afford to buy a cunting house.

You still have to live somewhere though and the alternative is living with your parents as an adult which is no fun at all.

Career-landlords might be a problem (I don't think they are) but that idea is silly. Housing is a necessity, owning your own home is a luxury.

This I can kind of agree with but social housing will still be means-tested and a combined income of £47k will never come under that threshold I'm afraid.

About 50 years ago homeownership was something that everyone could achieve and as such became the thing that young people were pushed towards as a basic marker of success. That's now distorted to be something that everyone has a right to, and that's just not true.
My old signature was too long. Have a daisy.

I'm stashing away money to hopefully buy one day, but I don't see me buying a decent property on my own. If I ever end up in a committed relationship or married I'd probably go halves with them in a house, but at the moment, looks like renting for me.
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
‘Cause there's nothing here for you my dear
And everything must pass
We've got two mortgages, one investment property, one property we will be living in shortly. These days the only way to enter the market for most people is to borrow money from family for a substantial deposit.

Housing in my home town is crazy, people buying a property and then selling it 9 months later for 700k profit. Its crazy and really shouldn't be that way.
Quote by RAB11
You still have to live somewhere though and the alternative is living with your parents as an adult which is no fun at all.

I would take that option today if it were an option. Sadly it is not for reason I do not wish to divulge. Suffice it to say I am the only one of my family left in the UK

Quote by RAB11
Career-landlords might be a problem (I don't think they are) but that idea is silly. Housing is a necessity, owning your own home is a luxury.

I dislike landlords because of how profiteering they are, how tenants do not really have many rights, and we can be turfed out with a months notice. Renting is a royal hassle. I agree ownership is a luxury, I was being purile here.

Quote by RAB11
This I can kind of agree with but social housing will still be means-tested and a combined income of £47k will never come under that threshold I'm afraid.

I agree that I would fail to qualify, though a simple solution is regulation of market rent. Some rents are far, far too high and people know it. They pay it because they need to live, so landlords will take advantage, and they do. My old place was on the market for £850 per month. The landlord evicted us and the property went on the market for £1200. He did nothing illegal. It was all above board, but its really immoral.

Quote by RAB11
About 50 years ago homeownership was something that everyone could achieve and as such became the thing that young people were pushed towards as a basic marker of success. That's now distorted to be something that everyone has a right to, and that's just not true.

What annoys me is my dad left school at 15, worked as a cook for a few years and bought a house in 1981 with 2 kids. Adjusting for inflation he earned less than I do now. He bought that on a single income. My wife and I cant do that now. I admit, I am angry and its clouding my judgement and I am being a rage-a-holic. I believe that if you work hard and earn enough, a house should be within your reach, but currently, it is not. I know I am lucky to be where I am, its just I know how unfair things have become.
Sat in a lab, curing diseases. They actually LET me play with chemicals!
lol, speaking of messed up rules for rent:

I was looking for a new place last December. Income at the time was 2100 gross/1600 net a month. Nearly everyone who lets places in the private sector wants people to have an income that's 3x the rent (if counting net) or 4x the rent (if counting gross), which left me with a selection of places for rent of up to about 530. Now, (full) apartments in this area tend to cost at least 600 a month (and you're lucky to find that), whereas everything below 500 is essentially 2x3m student accommodation.
We do have a form of social housing, which is basically run by cities and creates a waiting list with cheaper/affordable places to rent. I was allowed on that list on account of my income, and up until December there were places I could rent, provided I was selected from the list. But lo and behold, the rules were changed, and my income was "too high", so I could only rent the places the city put up that were at least 570 a month. And keep in mind that these are essentially the shitty places, so 570 or more would get me a extremely poorly isolated 2 or 3 bedroom house (which I don't fucking need!) and for which heating and all that shit would be insanely high.
So essentially, the place that's supposed to help people afford to rent a place, was much more expensive for me than the private sector that didn't want to let me rent in many cases. Thank god I managed to find a small, reasonably affordable studio apartment after all (650 a month, but I convinced the owner I could pay for it fairly easily - which I can). Also on account of the owner being German and thinking the rules are bonkers.
Last edited by ultimate-slash at Aug 2, 2016,
I'd live with my family if I still could. Beats paying rent to the landlord and you save an absurd amount of money. I'd be giving my parents some rent (probably about £200 a month I guess) so I'd be saving an extra £300-ish on top of my monthly savings of £300 so that'd be a cheeky £600 a month more I'd be saving which is £7.2k a year so I'd be well on my way to deposit in a few years

Even renting a place seems like it's not going to happen any time soon

As well as houses being stupidly expensive, I blame all the JFs who steal our jobs and benefits and houses as well.
I have nothing important to say
Renting is pissing money away

at the same time I don't want to be locked into a mortgage

I'm just gounna wait for my parents to die and hope I've got something in the will

THE FUTURE IS BRIGHT GUYS

just kidding
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Quote by Banjocal
Renting is pissing money away

at the same time I don't want to be locked into a mortgage

I'm just gounna wait for my parents to die and hope I've got something in the will

just kidding

as long as the housing market doesn't crash i should get half of a cheeky £1mil+ property

housing market is actually absurd though, what should be important is that it's a nice place to live in

3 bed bungalows on my road go for half a million, it's fucking stupid

Maybe I should move to Poland. I heard that Tangle lives in Poland.

I pay about 2k a month in rent, and it sucks balls....at least if I owned and could pay that amount off a mortgage I could make it a home that suits me, i.e do renovations and stuff.

Housing in the town I live in is reasonably priced atm, but in 10 years time it'll have gained no real value, and I actually think it would depreciate if I bought where I am, but Melbourne is super expensive now, so I think I'm just going to live in a cardboard box under a bridge and do covers of "Something In the Way" to passers by
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
And everything must pass
Quote by i_lovemetallica
I pay about 2k a month in rent

Good god, you'd think the death that lurks behind every corner would lower the prices a bit.
To put it in perspective, I rent a two bedroom house by myself....and I actually just realised I added my rent up wrong, so it's really only about 1100 a month....my bad...still steep tho.

There is also no fee reduction for ouchy bitey things I really should get onto my landlord about that.
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
And everything must pass
Ah, that's seems a bit more reasonable then. And I'd assume Melbourne is one of the more expensive places you can live in Australia.
Quote by Tanglewoodguit
Fine, I won't give you some tips then

I am just kidding with you

Real talk though I don't fancy moving abroad, especially to a non-English speaking country (bar Germany)

Better than the Dutch

yeah house prices are ridiculous

a house is a basic necessity and should be affordable to everyone
Quote by ultimate-slash
Ah, that's seems a bit more reasonable then. And I'd assume Melbourne is one of the more expensive places you can live in Australia.

Sydney is worse, but Sydney is a shit hole, no one likes Sydney.

But yeah, Melbourne is creeping up to being one of the most pricey cities in the world I think.
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
And everything must pass
^Isn't it considered the world's best city to live or something?
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Better than the Dutch

... You better watch it, or I'll wait until someone from another country kicks your ass.
Last edited by ultimate-slash at Aug 2, 2016,
Quote by Banjocal

yea i can't wait for that phat will stash
Quote by ultimate-slash

Yeah, something like that. It's pretty awesome, I really wanna move back there.
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
And everything must pass
Quote by ultimate-slash

... You better watch it, or I'll wait until someone from another country kicks your ass.

There's only two things I hate in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures, and the Dutch.

I own a house. Only 1400 square foot, but it has solar power and a xenoscaped yard.

Actually take that back, I own TWO houses. The one above that I'm living in, plus my parent's place. They signed it over to me years ago because they were afraid they'd get conned out of it in a shady real estate scam or something. Anyway, I don't plan on doing anything with it as long as either of them is around.
Last edited by TobusRex at Aug 2, 2016,
Quote by ultimate-slash

Hey, you want Uncle Sam to go kick those guy's butts for ya? Ah who am I kidding. I love the Brits. Hell, probably 80% of them are genetic descendants of US soldiers stationed there prior to the invasion of Normandy.
I'll just ask the Russians then
Quote by EndTheRapture51
There's only two things I hate in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures, and the Dutch.

All Dutch people are literally goldmember. We systematically submerge the genitals of newborns in molten gold.
I made this thread when I was new in the pit
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
I would like to own a house at some point and I think I will have the means to own one before I am 30. However, I'm not sure if I actually want to buy one before I am 30 unless it is an investment because I don't know where I want to live yet.
cat
^ Also that,

Whilst I have a vague idea of where I want to buy (i.e Melbourne) I have no idea where exactly I'd like to buy.
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
And everything must pass
Quote by guitarxo
I would like to own a house at some point and I think I will have the means to own one before I am 30. However, I'm not sure if I actually want to buy one before I am 30 unless it is an investment because I don't know where I want to live yet.

Sounds smart, but don't get roped into thinking that you will have to live there forever. If you buy a house now and decide to move in a couple years you can always sell it. I know people who've owned several houses over the years. Each time they move they make a profit because they've improved the place they moved into and they could afford nicer houses each time. Just keep your eye open for good bargains which show good potential for growth.
Page 1 of 2