My Jackson JS32 Dinky (25.5 scale length) is being set up for 10-52 strings, and I plan on playing in Drop A# the majority of the time. Would you consider them heavy enough? Many of my guitarist friends have used them for Drop B, and they work just fine for them. If that's too light, what would you have recommended?
I'd personally go with 11-56 or 12-60 for that scale length; but nothing wrong with giving it a try and seeing if you like it; you can always try different sets later
Quote by TenTonHammer
I'd personally go with 11-56 or 12-60 for that scale length; but nothing wrong with giving it a try and seeing if you like it; you can always try different sets later

Thanks! I've even seen people use 10-52s for Drop A# on the Les Paul (which I think is 24.5") and it sounds fine there so yeah
I use 10-52 for standard, so it'd be wayy off for me. Personally, I'd go for 12-60s for A#.
If you use use 9s or 10s in standard, you might be fine with 11-56s like TenTonHammer said
Quote by masonpearmain
Thanks! I've even seen people use 10-52s for Drop A# on the Les Paul (which I think is 24.5") and it sounds fine there so yeah

In my experience tonally there isn't that much difference, it's mostly a matter of feel. One of the bands that pop to mind playing Drop Bb/A# on 24.75" scale is In Flames and they're using 12-68 if I remember correctly, but I feel that is a bit on the heavy side even for my liking.
I use 10-52s for standard on my PRS (25" scale) personally, and 11-52 on my les paul, but in my experience a 52 is well suited for D, and can get by happily at C. A# being another tone down from that, imo, is going to push it, you're going to have to play quite lightly if you don't want any fret buzz or low overtones to creep through. I mean if you know you're going to be down to A# for the majority of the time, why even bother with lighter strings? You might as well get the strings that suit that tension the best, 12s are usually recommended for C standard (which is more or less Drop A#) so 12-56 is going to be a lot easier to work with imo. I like my strings to have quite a bit of tension on them, so I'd personally go even just a little bit heavier, but that's entirely subjective. But try it with a 52, who knows you might love it, it depends a lot on technique.
Quote by Fat Lard
post of the year, thank you
i would shoot north of .11's for sure, i use 12's in C#std and i would go 13's if the g-string wasn't wound.

in short, i would go with heavier strings. but it is all personal preference.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I sue 11-54s for Bb/A# on a 25.5" scale and they feel great to me, string gauge is largely about feel (i.e. subjective) give the strings a try and see if you like them.
Thanks for all your replies!

Yeah, I was wondering if it was a bit too light. Not sure if I want to go to 12s or 13s, because that seems wayy too hard for me lol. My fingers aren't exactly that tough, I'm a relatively new player.

Quote by TenTonHammer
In my experience tonally there isn't that much difference, it's mostly a matter of feel. One of the bands that pop to mind playing Drop Bb/A# on 24.75" scale is In Flames and they're using 12-68 if I remember correctly, but I feel that is a bit on the heavy side even for my liking.
Yeah, In Flames is one of my favorite bands. I'm going more for an alt-metal sound with a punk rock or metalcore sort of edge though, but yeah.
Quote by masonpearmain
Yeah, I was wondering if it was a bit too light. Not sure if I want to go to 12s or 13s, because that seems wayy too hard for me lol. My fingers aren't exactly that tough, I'm a relatively new player.

It will honestly just feel like 10s at standard, since you're tuning down so low. The whole point of heavier strings is to retain the same level of tension throughout different tunings, so other than the physical thickness of the string increasing, a 56/60 at A# will feel the same as a 46/52 at E. Tension is proportional to the thickness of the string, the scale length, and what it's tuned to, so in this case the thickness of the string and scale length will be balanced by the low tuning.
Quote by Fat Lard
post of the year, thank you
It's a matter of preference for the most part. Going a little thicker may help with playability a bit, as the strings don't vibrate as much, but you'll get different answers. For example, when I played in A# Standard, I played on 14s with a .72 for my 6th string. But I enjoyed a tighter feel and I've just always preferred a heavier gauge.

If you play 10s on standard and wanted to keep a similar tension though, you'd probably want to go with 12s at least.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Anyway I have technically statutory raped #nice

Quote by EndThecRinge51
once a girl and i promised to never leave each other

since that promise was broken

i dont make promises any more
Last edited by megano28 at Aug 2, 2016,
I play 10-52s for CGCFAD on a Les Paul, but then I like having a "spongey" feel for a more stoner rock vibe. I think I would probably want more string tension if I was playing a style that need a tighter sound.
Quote by masonpearmain
Bumping

why? you have a dozen answers saying different thing, that should be enough to know that there is really no consensus.

buy some strings and try them. strings are cheap and a personal thing. i can't tell you what you like.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I have a .068 for a low Ab and just has just enough tension and is pretty much perfect. I tried a .062 and it wouldn't hold tune and was very undefined. This is on a 25.5" 7 string.

So for a whole step up (A#/Bb), I think a 62-64 would be the best, especially on a 25.5".

Look up a string tension calculator, a good reference point is about 15lbs per string.
Last edited by Ignite at Aug 4, 2016,
Quote by trashedlostfdup
why? you have a dozen answers saying different thing, that should be enough to know that there is really no consensus.

buy some strings and try them. strings are cheap and a personal thing. i can't tell you what you like.

Well, almost all of the answers have been "go heavier", apart from one. Most of the "that gauge is fine" posts have been from the OP.