I am wondering if I am progressing well, so far I've learned Jump, 316, and Runnin With The Devil by EVH. As far as blues, I've learn't Hey Joe, Outside Women Blues, The Lemon Song, and the basic pentatonic scale. I started last year, August.
It depends. Can you actually play the songs or have you only memorized the notes? A lot of young, inexperienced guitar players rend to think that they have songs nailed, but upon investigation from more experienced players, there are many mistakes that a greenhorn just wouldn't notice. Recordings would be helpful.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
What you have to understand is that, to you, a novice, your playing might sound perfect. To an experienced musician, all the mistakes would be more obvious -- mistakes that you are too inexperienced to notice, perhaps mainly due to the fact that your guitar ears have not developed adequately. For example, you might have excess noise, weak vibrato, inaccurate bends, inconsistent palm muting, etc that you are unaware of yourself but would easily stick out to others. It's also harder to catch your own mistakes in real time while you are playing.

Also what you have to realize is that there is a huge difference between being able to play the song, relatively free timed, in your bedroom versus playing in a more timely situation with real pressure, such as when playing with a band or when recording. This will make issues in timing and consistent tempo extremely obvious. If you can't play it in a recording situation with a click track or you can't play it with a band, then for all practical purposes you can't play it.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
theogonia777 I was thinking of joining my high school band, problem is that I modify some of the song and play it my way, which might me a problem with the band's timing.
That's something that you often can't do. I mean, it depends on the band and style of music obviously, but if you are playing covers you are generally expected to play it as close to the recording as possible.
I would say stop worrying about how well you are progressing. What would you really even do with that information?
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
You are probably progressing fine. But you are probably not as good as you think. You will go through this a lot in your guitar journey. There will be times when you feel like a wonder kid hot shot guitarist and times you feel like you sound awful. In the beginning the better you get the more you realize what you thought was good was plain awful. Now I am going out on a limb here but it seems to me that many people who learn solo's can't play chords and can't transition from chord to chord nor can they produce a clean sound. All this comes with time young grasshopper.
Listen to Theo, she's completely right on this one. Forget about mapping progress, it's not linear at all. Guitar is really just part of a greater set of skills you'll develop as you grow as a musician. The bar keeps moving as you grow, and you basically think that you're mediocre your whole life.
Last edited by GoldenGuitar at Aug 4, 2016,
Quote by GoldenGuitar
Listen to Theo, she's completely right on this one. Forget about mapping progress, it's not linear at all. Guitar is really just part of a greater set of skills you'll develop as you grow as guitarist. The bar keeps moving as you grow, and you basically think that you're mediocre your whole life.

Yeah. The important thing to remember is not to compare yourself to so-and-so, especially with pros. One of the difficult things about guitar as an instrument is that many guitarists are self taught and want to jump into difficult music right away. There really aren't the same types of "easy pieces" that there are for other instruments and so guitar players like to jump right into tunes that they know without building a solid foundation.

This results either in guitarists being frustrated that they can't meet their own unrealistic expectations or else they end up learning pieces "wrong" with bad technique but, as I mentioned before, they aren't experienced enough to realize it. Learning to notice good and bad technical habits is a whole skill in itself, sort of like learning wine tasting.
Quote by Rosenkratz
Ignore all the other comments until you post a video or an audio recording.

It's all really good advice. Who are you exactly?
Who am I? Whoa, just chill, please.
I'm only asking the guy to wait until he posts an audio or video.
He's asking for an opinion and advice on his playing, it's a lot easier for him to get more accurate feedback that way.
Just keep learning. When you feel like you've accomplished a great step in your adventure, be proud. Embrace it and smile, but remember, only compare yourself to your future self. How much better are you gonna get? By year 2, I could play the solos for for the love of god, fade to black, eruption, free bird, dazed and confused, Dani California, and others. I felt awesome but nobody cared and it was depressing. I was great but it didn't mean anything to anyone but me. I learne that this is all for us. Get as good as you can for you. If you want inspiration, listen to Moscow by impact fuze, you can always get better(:
Quote by Rosenkratz
Who am I? Whoa, just chill, please.
I'm only asking the guy to wait until he posts an audio or video.
He's asking for an opinion and advice on his playing, it's a lot easier for him to get more accurate feedback that way.

I don't know what your experience with music might be and I really don't care, but most of us here are experienced musicians who have been around many other musicians of all skill levels. Many of us either have formal training, have taught music, and have worked in music professionally.

We are familiar with how musicians tend to develop and have had experience with relatively inexperienced musicians who think they are better than they are because they have not yet developed enough of an intimate knowledge of music or their own instrument to be aware of the flaws in their abilities. It's a common enough problem that just about anyone with any real music experience knows exactly where TS is at with a 99% level of certainty without needing to hear his playing.

So I would appreciate if you don't come to the grown-up table and tell someone to ignore our advice when it is 100% valid advice.
theogonia777
Grown up table? Dude, I just don't buy there's such thing in this site specially when people act all entitled and whiny so much.
Quote by Rosenkratz
theogonia777
Grown up table? Dude, I just don't buy there's such thing in this site specially when people act all entitled and whiny so much.

I've taught multiple instruments for quite a number of years. I've worked in music promotion for longer. I'm currently working with platinum selling, Grammy winning musicians and producers. I think I am, in fact, entitled to tell you to go piss off with your "ignore all the advice here until you post a video" crap because if you had the slightest clue what you were doing you would be very well aware of all of the clichéd traps that self taught beginner guitarists fall into and would be giving the exact same advice as everyone else.
theogonia777
Well, good for you, pal. You can feel you're entitled but this is still an open forum and it's still the internet.

If you're as experienced and talented and etc. as you think then don't let someone's seemingly 'stupid' comment affect you this much.

And stop making this thread about you, and your 'grammy hits' or whatever. You could instead just advice the kid that you have your reasons to believe a video is not necessary, without over dramatizing and turning the spotlight on you.

I'm out, keep doing your thing teaching or making award winning hit songs, I really have no interest in wasting time discussing over nothing.
Last edited by Rosenkratz at Sep 4, 2016,
Ah yes, who can forget Theo's Grammy winning single, "Guitar sucks and I am teh best"

All joking aside though let's pounce on the kid AFTER he posts some stuff.

All joking aside aside, let's not pounce on the kid period because he's a young musician still learning, just like we all were/currently are.

It's an open forum but if it gets toxic I'm shutting it down.
"There are two styles of music. Good music and bad music." -Duke Ellington

"If you really think about it, the guitar is a pointless instrument." - Robert Fripp
Hey, I didn't win Grammys yet. Just dudes I work with. You should see our wall. Don't worry though. I'll have some plaques of my own by 2018. ;P

I ain't pouncing on nobody here. I'm just saying that the majority of beginners greatly overestimate their abilities because they lack experience and knowledge of the fine details of playing music needed to identify their flaws. And you know it that that is exactly what happens, Jet.

Like I said. There's a difference between memorizing the notes of a song and actually being able to play it passably in real time at an acceptable technical level. Beginners miss out on the finer nuances like vibrato, palm muting, accurate bends, clean and well articulated scale runs, etc. The songs that TS is playing aren't at the top of a guitar virtuoso's repertoire by any means, but they certainly aren't beginner songs and I would say are deceptive in terms of difficulty. Again, a greenhorn will miss out on a lot of the details and simply memorize the notes in order.

I don't need a video to see that that is the case because it always is with very few exceptions. It's not like we're saying the kid sucks. We're just saying that he needs to be aware of the common pitfall that most novices stumble into. The sooner he becomes aware of it, the sooner he will begin paying closer attention to his playing, and the better off he will be. Better he learns it here than out on the streets.
Quote by Rosenkratz
If you're as experienced and talented and etc. as you think then don't let someone's seemingly 'stupid' comment affect you this much.

It's not that I care about your stupid comment. It's more of a concern that someone like TS reads some bad information from someone like you and ends up just developing bad habits or something. You might not take things like that seriously, but to those of us with real experience, making sure that greenhorns get good advice is a big deal.

You could instead just advice the kid that you have your reasons to believe a video is not necessary

I explained fairly thoroughly what he is most certainly doing wrong, Lamont.
Not disagreeing with you, just don't want to scare him off

"If you really think about it, the guitar is a pointless instrument." - Robert Fripp
^ yeah. I mean I don't really disagree either (that much) with what she's saying, but if she's that worried about people taking her advice then maybe be a bit less of a dick some of the time. Most people don't respond well to that (with good reason) so if you really genuinely cared about helping newer players...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^Bingo.

^
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
just keep progressing. Even if it doesnt sound great to an experienced player, just keep getting better and better. There is no timetable cause you might have 5 hours to someone elses 1 hour per day so a year is very different.