Poll: Do you practice your scales and your arpeggios?
Poll Options
View poll results: Do you practice your scales and your arpeggios?
Yes
3 21%
No
10 71%
Other (please explain)
1 7%
Voters: 14.
Page 1 of 2

Do you practice your scales and your arpeggios? If so, please answer the following questions:

What scales do you know?
What scales do you use?
How do you play your scales?

What arpeggios do you know?
What arpeggios do you use?
How do you play your arpeggios?

Do you think that practicing your scales and arpeggios is beneficial to your life?
peppers, what pain have I caused you to deserve this?

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
Do you practice your scales and your arpeggios? No

What scales do you know? Literally none
What scales do you use? None
How do you play your scales? I don't

What arpeggios do you know? Don't even know what an arpeggio is (not even joking)
What arpeggios do you use? None
How do you play your arpeggios? I don't

Do you think that practicing your scales and arpeggios is beneficial to your life? No

Last edited by sam b at Aug 2, 2016,
No because I'm not a weirdo with no life

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Obscure scales are great and/or hilarious:

o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
EndTheRapture51
What makes you think I have no life?

Will Lane
Knowing the names of all the colors doesn't prevent you from painting a beautiful picture.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
No because I'm not a weirdo with no life

ha, good one
Do you practice your scales and your arpeggios? If so, please answer the following questions:

What scales do you know? All of them
What scales do you use? All of them
How do you play your scales? Sexually

What arpeggios do you know? All of them
What arpeggios do you use? All of them
How do you play your arpeggios? Forcefully

Do you think that practicing your scales and arpeggios is beneficial to your life?

Yes in fact I made $1000 a week from my house just playing a few scales and arpeggios. You can check out my method at: www.scamyououtofcash.com
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
They are still for the majority useless on most instruments
The only real use they have is familiarisation with finger placement on keyboard instruments, so with that in mind:

What scales do you know?
- most major scales, minors (harmonic and melodic) and the chromatic (lol)
What scales do you use?
- mostly pentatonic for improvisation, occasionally might branch out into Mixolydian, and very rarely double harmonic
How do you play your scales?
- on a piano 99% of the time because I don't actually practice them on anything else unless I'm demonstrating

What arpeggios do you know?
- Some major and minor
- none lol
How do you play your arpeggios?
- as a demonstration to someone who has no idea what an arpeggio is

- Hardly, except as I said before, to familiarise finger placement on a piano
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
EndTheRapture51
What makes you think I have no life?

Will Lane
Knowing the names of all the colors doesn't prevent you from painting a beautiful picture.

it does when you're stuck obsessing over which shade of green to use without realizing your painting a picture of fire.

Quote by Pastafarian96
- none lol

can't even imagine how boring your playing must be
Check out my band Disturbed
Last edited by StewieSwan at Aug 2, 2016,
I like arpeggios but I don't really use them because the styles of music I play don't really call for them

Unless you count some of the stuff I do on bass arpeggios but I don't
A poem.
Quote by yoman297

Quote by Pastafarian96
I like arpeggios but I don't really use them because the styles of music I play don't really call for them

Unless you count some of the stuff I do on bass arpeggios but I don't

An arpeggio is any broken-up chord, mate. If you aren't playing any you're just playing scales and escape tones.
It blows my mind a guitar forum would hate on me so much for advocating the use of scales arpeggios and marijuana.

Pastafarian96
You have a point. If I wanted to play D E G on one string, and then A on the next string, I would have to visualize it as a shape. Then if I wanted to play E G A on one string, and C on the next, I would need to visualize another shape. These two ideas have two different stacks of intervals. Thus they need two shapes, thus that's the point of categorizing and naming scales and arpeggios on the guitar. I couldn't imagine not having a shape for every possible idea. There's only 7 notes so there's only 7 shapes to memorize. 5 for the Pentatonic scale.
Last edited by jrcsgtpeppers at Aug 2, 2016,
StewieSwan
That isn't how it is at all. I know what all the notes sound like. I can compose what is in my head. But as for playing it on an instrument, you gotta know where everything is and have a technique to play it. See my above post.
Quote by StewieSwan
An arpeggio is any broken-up chord, mate. If you aren't playing any you're just playing scales and escape tones.

Fair enough, that does encompass a larger portion of my playing

However there is still an odd 5% or so that is pretty much scales and escape tones in my playing, or non broken chords
A poem.
Quote by yoman297

When it comes down to it, thinking about how certain geometric shapes branch off into higher dimensions, there are only 4 types of chords. Maj7, 7, m7 and m7b5. When you draw it out on a circle, any more stacks of 3rds passes the root note and doesn't close in as a 4 sided shape. Draw it out for the visualization. Thus, these 4 chords are very important and give the foundation to the possible sounds and emotions. Memorizing how to play them as arpeggios is very important. Playing them as chords on the piano is easy, they're linear, but on guitar, they don't work like that. Thus you need to know how to play all of them and their inversions as arpeggios. Yes, bigger chords exist, but after that point, you're just stacking 7ths chords at the end of the day. If you substitute the 3 for a 9/2 you just have 1-2-5-7. But you substituted the 1 for a 2, you have 2-3-5-7, aka a minor 7th chord. So you haven't formed anything new, just used an inversion. You can make anything with these building blocks.

It feels awkward talking about this stuff to people that don't care about music and the theory behind it. Why are you guys on this forum if you don't care?
When it comes down to it, thinking about how certain geometric shapes branch off into higher dimensions

It's like a two blunt drills boring into my eyes.
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
Wrong forum mang
A poem.
Quote by yoman297

Pastafarian96
Just don't be one of those blues players like SRV that don't know how to play anything but give you over 9000 ways to reach an E note with the E minor Pentatonic scale. That shit gets boring. If you're playing the blues in E, aka E A E B7 A E, you should be playing arpeggios to sound the emotions of the chord you're playing over. Don't just play the 5 Pentatonic notes landing on E. That's only expressing the 1 of the E and the 5 of the A. That's like 2/1,000,000,000 emotions. Learn how to show off the C# in the A chord and resolve it to the B of the E or something more creative than bending the 15th fret of your B sting up to an E note and add some vibrato and call it a day.
EpiExplorer
If you knew anything about anything you would know there's an infinite amount of 2D shapes, only 5 3D shapes, the Platonic solids, tetrahedron, Cuba aka hexahedron, octahedron for you Mars Volta fans, dodecahedron and the icosahedrons, and only 3 4D shapes.
kalypto
Modes are for what I explained earlier. On the piano you can play up 8 down 8 all day anywhere. On the guitar, you can't just go up 8 notes on one string. You gotta go across multiple string. In 4ths tuning. Your modes are 3 notes per string. In 5ths tuning, they're 4 notes per string.
See, that's why I do most of my blues, jazz and all that on a piano, because I can play things other than the pentatonic scales with little to no hassle about moving my hands because I have 5 fingers on each hand to use instead of four on my left on a guitar so no unnecessary stretching, just remembering when to move my thumb.

Guitar sucks, learn piano everyone
A poem.
Quote by yoman297

Acid isn't a scale either.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
The guitar is amazing. I've never had that problem. Have you seen my videos? Do I ever look like I'm having a hard time finding the notes that are in key or do I look like I'm having trouble growing enough fingers to play them all fast enough?

Tune to 4ths, then learn all your scales and arpeggios using the easy to find method of 3 notes per string ft your scales, 2 for your Pentatonic scales. Then level up to tuning in 5ths, 4 note per string scales, and then... I can't even tell you how I tune now. It's a secret(:
theogonia777
Showing off your mammary glands in all of your profile pictures isn't a scale either. Maybe if you laid off the acid and practiced you would have more than just your body to show off to attract the attention you crave.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
Do I ever look like I'm having a hard time finding the notes that are in key

yes

or do I look like I'm having trouble growing enough fingers to play them all fast enough?

yes
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
theogonia777
Showing off your mammary glands in all of your profile pictures isn't a scale either. Maybe if you laid off the acid and practiced you would have more than just your body to show off to attract the attention you crave.

mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
That's the best comeback you have? Damn... I'm sorry, I didn't mean it. You're good at the guitar too. But when you put your shirt back on it becomes much less interesting.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
Maybe if you laid off the acid and practiced

i'm a professional musician lol
theogonia777
That's nice. I get paid to perform live music too. Wanna have a guitar battle to settle this?
what do I look like the fucking karate kid
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
StewieSwanBut as for playing it on an instrument, you gotta know where everything is and have a technique to play it. See my above post.

I can almost guarantee that I'm a better player than you are, bud.
Page 1 of 2