Page 1 of 2
I've heard the VHT/FRYETTE Pitbull has one but what are others? I'd like to add to my collection and aggressive voiced metal amps are my bread and butter.
Together we climb any mountain, rent any video, dial any phone. And not just our phone, other people's phones. Decent phones, God-fearing phones, phones that everybody else gave up on, but we knew better because we were a team!
The Framus Cobra is one to look at.

The JCM900 SL-X is a good one, a bit more raw.

I'm not sure which models, but Splawn has some firebreathers.

Engl Fireball, Powerball, Savage, etc.

There are tons out there, these were a few off the top of my head.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
dementiacaptain oh how I would love to get a Framus Cobra, it's one of my dream amps. The other 2 are the Diezel VH4 and Peavey 6505. Already got the 6505 need the other two now. Expensive though
Together we climb any mountain, rent any video, dial any phone. And not just our phone, other people's phones. Decent phones, God-fearing phones, phones that everybody else gave up on, but we knew better because we were a team!
Well after a certain point most amps in the "high gain" category have an "aggressive" voicing. But the term "aggressive" can be interpreted lots of different ways.

A Mesa Dual Rec would certainly be worth a look. Pretty standard amongst metal bands, but like 6505s/5150s, there's a reason for it. They sound huge, mean, and nasty. A VH4 would also cover your bases in yet another way. A lot of people describe the Bogner Uberschall as kind of a cross between a 5150 and a Dual Rec -- meaning it's grindy and tight, but still has a massive low-end without getting too flubby. (Dual Recs can get a little "loose" without a Tubescreamer type pedal tightening up some of that bass.)

There are certain high-gain amps that I don't really like. I was majorly disappointed when I tried both the EVH 5150 III and the Mesa Mark V -- and those are amazingly popular amps. They just didn't jive with me; too tight or something. Not enough "thump" on palm mutes. My point is, you need to get to some stores and try as many amps as you can -- and bring a boost pedal and your favorite guitar. It's a very personalized endeavor.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Idk if this helps but I like it when you do gallops and it sounds more like KAW KAW KAW than DUN DUN DUN. Haha terrible example.
Last edited by H377F1R3 at Aug 2, 2016,
No I think I get what your saying. Here's one, the Egnater Vengeance, while different than the 6505, gave me a similar kind of vibe when I played it.
dementiacaptain Really? I got to give it a go then, plus they're affordable.
I'd say it's a bit more "juicy" I guess, than the Peavey for lack of a better word. I really enjoyed playing it though, it's one amp I still really regret never picking up.
Edit: see post below
Last edited by H377F1R3 at Aug 2, 2016,
How do I post a recording to show what I mean?
Quote by H377F1R3
How do I post a recording to show what I mean?

You have to use an external site, and link it. I don't think we have an audio sharing feature honestly.
dementiacaptainAww, you'd think a guitar forum would have that. Do you know where I can post then?
Alright I got it now finally. It's a terrible phone recording, but at least I finally got one that will get my point across in terms of the mutes sounding more like a Kaw rather than a Dun. Once again I apologize for the recording I don't have proper equipment. https://m.soundcloud.com/user-135472911/bad-phone-recording
Last edited by H377F1R3 at Aug 3, 2016,
H377F1R3 I think it's probably more down to technique than anything else, but I imagine a particularly 'boomy' amp wouldn't be useful.

In addition to the stuff others have mentioned, you could try out a boosted Marshall (like a JCM900/2000/DSL/JVM). You could also try a Soldano shaped amp (Jet City, etc.) since they tend to have a fairly aggressive midrange.

Basically anything with plenty of mids
Quote by H377F1R3
Alright I got it now finally. It's a terrible phone recording, but at least I finally got one that will get my point across in terms of the mutes sounding more like a Kaw rather than a Dun. Once again I apologize for the recording I don't have proper equipment. https://m.soundcloud.com/user-135472911/bad-phone-recording

I think I get what you're going for. Is your 6505 a "+" or a "non-+"? The regular 6505 is identical to the older 5150 and the 6505+ is identical to a 5150 II. The "+" model definitely has more of that clanky/twangy"kaw" sound on palm mutes, whereas the 6505/5150 has a deeper, thumpier, more guttural attack on palm mutes. If yours is the non-plus you may be happier with a "+" version. The good news is that you can mod them back and forth with just two capacitors and a resistor (it's not a complete switch but gets you 95% of the way there, whichever way you want to go.) Personally I prefer the original 5150/6505 tone. The EVH 5150 III is definitely even more in the direction I think you'd like. It's got a very tight, clanky, twangy attack on palm mutes.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Last edited by KailM at Aug 3, 2016,
Yeah TS the Egnater Vengeance has that kinda thing going on
KailMIt's a non +. I prefer the thumping bass, gutteralness, and the rawness, sounds angrier. Too much of that kaw and it starts to be unintelligible, gotta have a balance. I played both and the original sounded better to my ears.
dementiacaptain That's definitely good to know. I'm gonna see if I can check one out this week.
The fryette's definitely fit the bill. The Pitbull ultralead is fantastic.
I think the diezel vh4 will work as well.
KSR amps are fantastic as well.
Revv is a new company from Canada that is doing some really cool stuff.

You should check out the randall 667/thrasher as well. Those amps are pretty amazing.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
AcousticMirror I've never heard of Revv or KSR before, I'll check them out. The Randall's I've seen, I was actually debating on getting the 667 or the 6505 but ultimately went with the 6505. It was just more aggressive and has the "Kaw" I like lol.
More aggressive than the 667? Wow... I haven't played the Randall in person but I figured it would slay a 6505 for that.

Nonetheless, I want a 667 also
dementiacaptain Yeah but tone is subjective, what's aggressive to one could be weak to another. I felt like a dryer sound is more aggressive and a more saturated sound is heavier and a 6505 with the gain on 3-4 with emgs and a boss sd1 is very dry to me. More so than the 667 but I still like that tone.
Fair enough. I mean the 6505 is more or less an industry standard for a LOT of metal sub-genres. They are a bit one-trick, but that trick is pretty fucking sick...
dementiacaptain I actually don't feel it's a one trick pony. I actually get good cleans with my one eq 6505 and decent crunch or at least what I believe to be. But it is fucking sick
Eh, I never had much use for mine besides the brootz. Not saying you are wrong for liking the other sounds, just saying that my experience with that amp was pretty much solely focused on heavy music. With some fiddling I found a few crunch sounds, but most the time it was just a lower-distortion version of the brootz sound. Good on you for getting the most of it though!
A guitarist in a local band here has a Randal Satan and it's pretty aggressive sounding. Also heard decent demos of the newer RG series.

Some Orange amps are pretty gnarly, mostly when playing doom with a neck pickup. But they have a fairly loose low end. An od makes a significant difference with them. I think Ola Englund did a demo of an RV.

The VHT Deliverance is on my wish list.

The Verellen Skyhammer is pretty cool too.
LiaztrahtIdk my guitarist in my band has a Satan and I feel my amp is way more aggressive but it could just be the way he eqs it
Quote by H377F1R3
LiaztrahtIdk my guitarist in my band has a Satan and I feel my amp is way more aggressive but it could just be the way he eqs it

Possibly. That guitarist has a huge pedal board so it could have been extra dirt out front.
that's our amps in stereo although when I took that pic only the Satan was being used
I could be wrong haha. Never played it in person. Their other guitarist I think was using a 6505.
Last edited by Liaztraht at Aug 3, 2016,
Liaztraht haha sounds like my band
I do say check that Verellen out though. Most people use their Meatsmoke for doom, but the skyhammer is a high gain beast from what I've heard.
Liaztraht Beautiful looking amps only other amp I've seen that look good like that are panamas, and Mesa boogies too I guess
Quote by H377F1R3
Liaztraht Beautiful looking amps only other amp I've seen that look good like that are panamas, and Mesa boogies too I guess

That they are. I would be afraid to gig one, fearing of souls smudge it
Liaztraht Gig it? I would be to afraid to turn it on lol
And just think about their Meatsmoke... 300 watts of tube power. It will shake your bowels loose!

But for other aggressive amps, an old Ampeg VH140C, though it's voiced differently than most amps mentioned.
Liaztraht All hail the tube lol. How expensive are those on average?
Liaztraht Also you said the voicing was different... how do you mean? Like it's more vintage voiced like a JCM800?
Page 1 of 2