I've been an sg guy for ever but i played my buddy's mexican strat and wow! The neck is so easy to play! I never liked stratocasters because i always hit the pickups and pick-gaurd with the pick while picking. Now i want to get one though but i want to ask this.. should i get a cheap cheap squire just to try it out or should i save up for a better strat? I really only want to spend under 300 bucks. Are the necks the same on squires and strats?
I would pick up a used strat. If you don't like it, you can re-sell for the same price.
lbc_sublime oops i changed it on ya. Thanks for the input about the strat
Quote by lbc_sublime
no i think the Squire's are thinner. some one is gonna talk you into a classic vibe xD. under 300 you need to look used. i was gonna suggest the MIM plus top cause it looks amazing but 300.

Yeah that makes sense. Since i may still not like strats, the squires seem to have little resell value. Im totally into used guitars. Used strats are about 500 here while squires are around 100. I like to play thrash metal so pickups might be a factor too. I was going to worry about that later haha. I just cant get over how easy the strat neck is to finger over the sg and my les paul is even harder. Gives me a workout.
Last edited by geo-rage at Aug 2, 2016,
Might be a setup issue you have - a lot of factors play into how easy it is to fret on a given guitar.

Necks vary a lot but the modern C profile is fairly consistent at every price point, as is the 9.5" fretboard radius with a few notable exceptions.

I'll be the guy to try to talk you into a Classic Vibe. Get a used one cheap you're not down a huge amount of money and you've got a decent Strat to enjoy and see how you like it; won't resell for a lot but crucially it'll resell for very close to what you bought it for if you shop used in the first place, then you can get a better Strat if you want.

Few Strats will give you a good set of pickups for thrash metal straight out of the box so I'd say budget for that once you know you want to keep the Strat. Options are plentiful for Strat-sized humbuckers.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
+1 on the Squiers.

Second hand Custom and Classic Vibe Squiers are great value for money. I´d have loved to have had guitars like those around back when I started playing.
Thanks for the input all. It seems the custom and classic vibes are made from alder? That would be nice
i would go mexican. the price difference really isn't much (assuming the MIM is used), and they are much easier to find, and are probably easier to resell.

yet again... maybe i am just an elitist stuck-up asshole and like to see Fender on a headstock. the jury is still out.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i would go mexican. the price difference really isn't much (assuming the MIM is used), and they are much easier to find, and are probably easier to resell.
I'd always consider Classic Vibe models alongside Mexi Standard. They feel and sound about as nice and (in my opinion, at least) look nicer. In terms of reselling, I think they're both pretty manageable and hold about the same proportion of their value. Still, case by case basis.

Quote by trashedlostfdup
yet again... maybe i am just an elitist stuck-up asshole and like to see Fender on a headstock. the jury is still out.
As am I, but I still rate the CVs alongside MIM Standards. Once you go past the Mexi Standards to things like Classic and Classic Player series, Lone Stars and that, it's no contest, but by that point you're spending something like twice the price of the Squier.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan
Last edited by K33nbl4d3 at Aug 4, 2016,
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'd always consider Classic Vibe models alongside Mexi Standard. They feel and sound about as nice and (in my opinion, at least) look nicer. In terms of reselling, I think they're both pretty manageable and hold about the same proportion of their value. Still, case by case basis.

As am I, but I still rate the CVs alongside MIM Standards. Once you go past the Mexi Standards to things like Classic and Classic Player series, Lone Stars and that, it's no contest, but by that point you're spending something like twice the price of the Squier.

Never played a MIM Standard that I liked. Comparable Squier Customs or Classic Vibes always felt better!
Quote by K33nbl4d3

i agree that they are pretty close, IMO the stock pickups are better on the classic vibe than the MIM. as far as selling and reselling goes, they probably aren't too far off either. i have owned a lot of mexi's and some are great, some not so much. you can find used mexis for $250 if you look for a week or two and are buying local. that is a pretty good deal IMO. i even bought one at $175 (actually the one i have now).

i have seen some years of better and worse MIM's. i have found the mid 90's to be some of the better MIM's i have owned.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
i think between the used cv and mim guitars it's really down to the individual guitar. some people took care of them and some don't.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by trashedlostfdup

jury reached a verdict a long time ago , Guilty!!!! (just kidding)

personally I'd go with MIMs as well. the classic vibe guitars are nice but I hate the finish on the 50s style neck and the 60s one is only a little better. MIMs are all over the place used and do hold there value a little better. if you're lucky you can find them with upgrades for the same price and be that much further ahead.

if you tried a buddies strat and liked it then you are good to go spend a little money to get a quality guitar. judging a guitar style by a cheapie does everyone a disservice.
When I made this same decision to get a strat I ended up with a MIM burst in near mint condition with a Fender hard case and strap locks for $230. I can easily get that and likely a bit more if I decided to sell it.

As per the ease to play thing - look into the action (entire setup really) on your guitars as well as the string gauge. I run 9's on the strat and 10's on the Jacksons and ESPs. Definitely gives it a different feel.

I use my strat so much I don't even include it in my sig . My wife claims it's my trade-in guitar for when I want something else. HA!
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
metalmingee

Same here. 1995ish Olympic white and case for $175. it had sat for a little while so i needed to clean it up and set it up.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
trashedlostfdup
That's a hell of a deal!
Guitars:
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
That is a hel of a deal. I checked out some today at guitar center, they only had squire bullets in the squire catagory. Yried about 4 of those and they didnt seem to have the magic. Went down the row and found one that felt good. It turned out to be a mim strat for 1000 bucks. It was really nice and had some really cool wood grain on the neck. Too bad they didnt have a classic vibe to check out, but the search continues. The nicest playing guitar there was a jem. It seemed like the mim strats neck got thinner towards the body. Is that true or just mental?
Quote by metalmingee
trashedlostfdup
That's a hell of a deal!

It was, it didn't start out as a gem though. it needed a bit of cleaning and setup. it was a lady selling it after she lost her husband. it probably sat for five or ten years.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by geo-rage
That is a hel of a deal. I checked out some today at guitar center, they only had squire bullets in the squire catagory. Yried about 4 of those and they didnt seem to have the magic.
Yeah, no. Bullets are a get-what-you-pay-for thing.

Quote by geo-rage
Went down the row and found one that felt good. It turned out to be a mim strat for 1000 bucks. It was really nice and had some really cool wood grain on the neck. Too bad they didnt have a classic vibe to check out, but the search continues.
Presumably one of the higher-end Mexi models like the Classic Player or whatever? If you can afford that you pretty much might as well; those are lush. Also, for that kind of money, maybe consider MIJ. Tonnes of bang for buck to be had there (though the reissues have the 7.25" board which puts some people off). Though if that's USD, I'm pretty sure American Specials can be had for that money and any Mexi you care to name can be had for less.

Quote by geo-rage
The nicest playing guitar there was a jem.
JEMs are super nice; not really my thing but I've played a '90s one once and it was fantastic. Be aware that if you're just talking ease of playing the JEM is probably strung with 9s while the Strats will have 10s which will certainly affect your impression.

Quote by geo-rage
It seemed like the mim strats neck got thinner towards the body. Is that true or just mental?
To the best of my knowledge, that's not true of any Fender guitar, or indeed any other guitar I'm aware of. As far as what might give you that impression, I've no idea.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan
Last edited by K33nbl4d3 at Aug 5, 2016,
Quote by geo-rage
That is a hel of a deal. I checked out some today at guitar center, they only had squire bullets in the squire catagory. Yried about 4 of those and they didnt seem to have the magic. Went down the row and found one that felt good. It turned out to be a mim strat for 1000 bucks. It was really nice and had some really cool wood grain on the neck. Too bad they didnt have a classic vibe to check out, but the search continues. The nicest playing guitar there was a jem. It seemed like the mim strats neck got thinner towards the body. Is that true or just mental?

$1000 for a MIM Strat? Uh, no. . . You can get a used American for about 1/2 that.

To beat on - $249 http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Fender/Stratocaster-Solid-Body-Electric-Guitar-112286962.gc
Guitars:
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
I dont know why i think the neck tappers but i definitely get that impression. The necks seem to be thinner on strats than on sgs and..a c-shape? Maybe thats all it is. I thinks my sg is a d-shape. I almost went for a gibson gothic sg for 400 instead. It was nice but it seemed to have a u-shaped neck. It was way fat. But sounded glorious. The whole idea of changing to fender is to get a really easy to play guitar. For 10 years i've been playing guitars that are difficult to play in order to challenge myself but now that seems to be just a fruitless effort.
Last edited by geo-rage at Aug 6, 2016,
If you want easy to play and you play metal I'd definitely be considering Ibanez and its ilk over Fender here. Really skinny necks, big frets, and pickups that'll fit your needs out of the box.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan
Yeah ibanez is nice, i will get one of those next haha. One more question, what is the difference between a rosewood fretboard and a maple fretboard? Size wise and sound wise?
Quote by geo-rage
Yeah ibanez is nice, i will get one of those next haha. One more question, what is the difference between a rosewood fretboard and a maple fretboard? Size wise and sound wise?

no difference in size really. as for sound well that is really debatable. some say that maple has a more trebly response but I'm not totally sold on that. really its more about feel and some prefer one or the other. I have both as on strats as well as ebony on another guitar.
Quote by geo-rage
Sound-wise, insignificant. I can accept that perhaps there is one, but after considering all the electronics and everything that comes after the guitar in the signal chain it's a fart in a hurricane. I have one of each on my Teles and the differences to worry about are aesthetic and physical. Maple boards are finished, often with gloss, which some people like and some loathe, whereas rosewood boards are not. The colours are obviously different, which is a matter of preference and possibly of vintage associations (on old Fenders, maple approximately equates to '50s and rosewood to '60s). Dirt shows up much more on maple but is also easier to remove.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan
Quote by K33nbl4d3
Sound-wise, insignificant. I can accept that perhaps there is one, but after considering all the electronics and everything that comes after the guitar in the signal chain it's a fart in a hurricane. I have one of each on my Teles and the differences to worry about are aesthetic and physical. Maple boards are finished, often with gloss, which some people like and some loathe, whereas rosewood boards are not. The colours are obviously different, which is a matter of preference and possibly of vintage associations (on old Fenders, maple approximately equates to '50s and rosewood to '60s). Dirt shows up much more on maple but is also easier to remove.

minor correction. not all maple boards are lacquered though some certainly are. maple boards can have a satin finish or an oil finish as well. no finish is not unheard of but it's not good for the wood. MIM strats have a satin finish, the CV Squier strats have lacqured. for instance.
Ok well thats very helpful. I like the look of the maple neck as it is kind of unique to the fenders. There are also strats with humbuckers in the bridge position and ones with a slanted single coil. I havent played a single coil since my first guitar, a 65 harmony bobcat/silvertone. Is there a preference?
Quote by monwobobbo
minor correction. not all maple boards are lacquered though some certainly are. maple boards can have a satin finish or an oil finish as well. no finish is not unheard of but it's not good for the wood. MIM strats have a satin finish, the CV Squier strats have lacqured. for instance.
That doesn't really contradict any of what I said, except that some maple boards aren't finished, which is true but not for any Fender I'm aware of. Those are all finished, as I said, and often with gloss, as I said

Quote by geo-rage
Ok well thats very helpful. I like the look of the maple neck as it is kind of unique to the fenders. There are also strats with humbuckers in the bridge position and ones with a slanted single coil. I havent played a single coil since my first guitar, a 65 harmony bobcat/silvertone. Is there a preference?
For metal, you'll probably want that humbucker. A Strat bridge singlecoil is a nice enough sound as such, but often a bit wimpy if you want high gain. The in-between positions are also cool and a defining characteristic of Strats, but if you're after it for the playability that may or may not be your main concern.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan
Last edited by K33nbl4d3 at Aug 9, 2016,
Quote by K33nbl4d3
That doesn't really contradict any of what I said, except that some maple boards aren't finished, which is true but not for any Fender I'm aware of. Those are all finished, as I said, and often with gloss, as I said

For metal, you'll probably want that humbucker. A Strat bridge singlecoil is a nice enough sound as such, but often a bit wimpy if you want high gain. The in-between positions are also cool and a defining characteristic of Strats, but if you're after it for the playability that may or may not be your main concern.

well as I mentioned MIMs (and a fair amount of others) have a very light finish (satin) which isn't like a full lacquer finish (and yes I'm one of those that hates that). in terms of feel very different. that's all I was saying. the CVs and the old fender necks (pre 84) often had a thick finish that is very slippery which as you mentioned some players hate
Quote by monwobobbo
well as I mentioned MIMs (and a fair amount of others) have a very light finish (satin) which isn't like a full lacquer finish (and yes I'm one of those that hates that). in terms of feel very different. that's all I was saying. the CVs and the old fender necks (pre 84) often had a thick finish that is very slippery which as you mentioned some players hate
Yeah, the finishes do vary some; however I'm fairly confident that the MIM Standards have gloss as of a year or two ago. I have the Baja, which is basically all '50s styling so gloss is a given.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan