So after getting the rest of my pedals for my board (NPD incoming), I realised I could use a volume pedal for some swells on my clean sound with delay, reverb and chorus.

But just asking where would be best to put it in my signal chain as i've heard differing things: at the start of the fx loop, in front of the amp (after OD's) or in the loop but before the modulation effects. This last option seems like the best for me?

Now I've been looking at the Dunlop Dvp 4 mini (really like the small footprint on this) and the Ernie ball volume pedal jr - anyone had any experience with them or recommend anything else? Don't want to spend more that £120 really (so that rules the Ernie ball mvp out) as I've just bought 4 pedals and need to get a power supply and board etc

Thanks in advance
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
Mayones Regius 7 Buckeye Burl
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Fender American Standard Tele
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special
Bugera 333
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Line 6 PodHD500
I use the Ernie Jr. and typically it will go at the beginning of my chain but this is a matter of preference, try it out. Also, beware as the Jr. isn't a true bypass and can be quite a tone sucker.
^ Thanks for the heads up
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
Mayones Regius 7 Buckeye Burl
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Fender American Standard Tele
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special
Bugera 333
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Line 6 PodHD500
I also vote for first in the chain. My logic is when you swell volume with the guitar knob, it's obviously the first thing.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
I run my volume pedal after my ODs, I like to put dirt on my swells to give a bit more sustain and girth using the volume pedal to kill the initial attack. I put it there because I don't like it in front of my ODs, in that setup your OD pedal doesn't get the full hit and grit until you move the pedal up and I don't think it sounds as good. I would say after the ODs either in front of the amp or as the first pedal in the FX loop should work well.
It should be: *everything that isn't loop, delay, reverb, or volume* > volume > delay > reverb > loop. I guess you could put your mods after the volume pedal, but I wouldn't. That's more preference and you can try it out. Other than mod though, everything else is just common sense.

Putting your volume pedal first in your chain is silly because putting it in front of distortion, compression, and your noise gate is bad. By putting it in front of distortion, you're not changing volume but rather the amount of gain hitting the distortion (whether it is the amp or pedal). You want the volume pedal to make your sound quiet and louder, not to back off on your gain. If you want to be able to back off gain, that's what a volume knob is good for.

There is a similar issue with the compressor. The compressor minimizes dynamics while the volume pedal changes dynamics. This means with the volume pedal first, the compressor is basically counteracting it and you end up with consistent dynamics. Having the volume pedal after the compressor means that the compressor smooths your dynamics and then the volume pedal gives you full control over the smooth sound, similar to with the distortion.

For the noise gate, if you run the volume pedal first, as you approach the heel down position, your level drops below the gate's threshold and then your signal starts getting cut.

Otherwise you want delay, reverb, and loop after the volume pedal since you want the echo to persist after you swell down. You want your swells to be preserved in your loops as well.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
I either have it and the end or beginning of the effects chain. Made another little stomp box that lets me choose where to go.

I've got the Visual Sound Visual Volume (Visual Sound now goes by the name Truetone).

Not sure if they make those anymore though, but you can check it out here : http://truetone.com/specialty-pedals/visual-volume/
Doing good swells takes a little practice on it though as the volume pot taper is not (IMO) the one best suited for swells, but you can still do swells.