OK so i'm listening to Shura and her song Indecision which was released in 2014. She released it as a single back then, and now for her full album this year she has rerecorded the song and although it sounds very similar, it is noticeably different in the production. Can't find YouTube videos to her new version yet but look on Spotify for reference.

OK so this also happened with Grimes' REALiti as it was a demo that was originally released, and then she lost the files of the original recording so she had to rerecord the song for the album.

My issue is that I am hearing a new single and growing attached to its version, and then artists are releasing a different version on their albums but i'm already attached to the original version.

Anyone else get a little annoyed when this happens?

Damn shoulda done a poll.
Dance in the moonlight my old friend twilight

Quote by metal4eva_22
What's this about ****ing corpses? My UG senses were tingling.
Last edited by Nero Galon at Aug 3, 2016,
Yeah actually.

So this version is a 2007 demo (I think). Super bitey guitars, bass pulses and wibbles nicely, vocals are floaty and dreamy:

The 2012 version is muted and the mix is nowhere near as punchy. While the vocals and lyrics are more coherent, it makes the 'dreamlike' feel of the original seem absent:

And in this version,you can hear the bass, the clean vocals fit the mix so much better and the guitar tone is just nicer:

But the newer version added a bunch of extraneous riffs, half-time bits in odd places and made the clean vocal mix really fucking weird with a weird harmony layer. The guitar tone took time to get used to and the bass mix is unfair:
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
Whenever it happens to me, I tend to like both, normally the original one a bit more, since it sounds more like the artist or band wanted it to sound, but I get into the album version too, unless it's definitely over-produced and noticeably altered.
not song in particular, but when i used to listen to the radio, I hated songs that got parts cut out to shorten them up. and its was usually the good part of the song like a long solo. play it all or don't play it

i don't really listen to music that musicians redo songs
I've always hated when Radio edits cut out the extended parts.
Quote by Ylasto
R.I.P Ean.

Are there any other members of Lynyrd Skynyrd who are dead?
I like when The Rolling Stones redid "Honky Tonk Women" as "Country Honk" for the Let It Bleed LP; hmu.
Tyr has 3 versions of Hail to the Hammer. I haven't sat down to listen to what's exactly different on them. I know some have longer intros/outros and maybe more choruses but not too sure.
mattedbird

Whenever the radio plays Sweet Child O Mine they always cut out the lead intro and solo haha unless it is a rock radio station but we don't have those here.

I can even remember though rock stations cutting out the refrain in the middle of Don't Fear the Reaper though lol. I get that a lot of people get freaked out with it because it sounds creepy and unmelodic but it's genius.

Quote by metal4eva_22
I love it. It's great to see how artists develop and change their songs. I find the idea that a recording of a written piece sets it in stone - album wise - to be extremely myopic. Something I especially like in photography is how photographers will re-use the same photographs in different places, and that means that those pictures do different things in different contexts.

So seeing the same song over two albums by the same band simply lets me see how they've changed, and hear it in a different "mood", should an album have it.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Last edited by Banjocal at Aug 4, 2016,
Banjocal

An example of this is Enter Shikari with and Mindsweep p.2 where they revisit the first song on the album at the end and also throw in a throwback to Sorry You're Not a Winner.

I also like this, but in my OP I was referring more to how I don't like it when artists release a single and then rerelease the same single on an album with a few tweaks.

Quote by metal4eva_22
oh

I don't see a problem with that, either. It's a preview, or a pre-release. Singles aren't always autonomous - it's simply a case of releasing it before the album release rather than after. Either because the band is just so excited (unlikely) or they've tried it out with focus groups and found that yes, it will likely do well in the charts (likely)

It's an extended version of an exhibition poster, or a one-scene tv advertisement.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
as far as i'm concerned the more the merrier in terms of variety, but sometimes one version really sucks

Quote by mattedbird
not song in particular, but when i used to listen to the radio, I hated songs that got parts cut out to shorten them up. and its was usually the good part of the song like a long solo. play it all or don't play it
yeah
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
i have demo versions for a lot of songs.

that and some of the bands i listen to occasionally do record slightly different versions when they release a song on an EP then later on a full album.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
One of my favorite tracks by one of my favorite bands was originally released as a 2 minute acoustic guitar piece with a rough production as a B-side to a single. It was rerecorded on an album a few years later as a 4 minute piece with electric guitar, drums, flutes, harpsichord, and chanting aND a smother production. The album version is fine, but the acoustic version was better.

There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.