I'm buying my first guitar. I'm probably getting squier affinity stratocaster but don't know whether to get the guitar pack with accessories and fender 15g amp or to get the guitar seperate to amp. I'm using andertons and looking for an amp around £100 like spider iv, champion 20. I was wondering which is the best amp around that price for metal with good distortion and sounding decent for bedroom and maybe small events eventually. I don't want to spend loads but I want a decent starting amp.
95% Guitar player. 5% Piano player
Playing guitar 1 year
Grade 3/8 - Aiming for grade 6 by next August
Metal, Prog, Jazz, and Math Rock.

Guitars:
Ibanez SZ320 - Drop C -Black,
Jackson Misha HT7 - Standard - also Black,

Amp:
Ironheart IRT Studio 15w Head (I like black),
Ironheart 2x12 Cab (once you go black).
If you do go the strat route, get one with a humbucker pickup in the bridge position (HSS). Something like this: http://shop.fender.com/en-US/squier-electric-guitars/stratocaster/affinity-series-stratocaster-hss/0310700505.html#start=1 The humbucker is the big pickup towards the bottom of the guitar, single coils are the smaller ones above. The humbucker in the bridge gives you an aggressive, tight sound that also cancels noise and hum that can get into your signal.

With your budget where it is at for amps, there is not too much. I would recommend a Peavey Vypyr. You can find the older models used for decent prices, in your budget.
Will Lane Thanks, but I need them to be from UK for shipping prices to be low enough
Playing guitar 1 year

Guitars:

Amp:
Quote by birkettlewis
looking for an amp around £100 like spider iv, champion 20. I was wondering which is the best amp around that price for metal with good distortion and sounding decent for bedroom and maybe small events eventually. I don't want to spend loads but I want a decent starting amp.

Sorry, you're asking for something that doesn't exist.

Either increase your budget or accept the limitations that excessively cheap amps have.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Arby911 So it's not worth spending more to get a £100 amp over a 15g, okay then thanks anyway
Playing guitar 1 year

Guitars:

Amp:
Quote by birkettlewis
Arby911 So it's not worth spending more to get a £100 amp over a 15g, okay then thanks anyway

Buy the guitar separately, save money and get a decent amp later. Inexpensive entry-level amps inevitably end up gathering dust, so why bother?
Charles Darwin
Last edited by Arby911 at Aug 3, 2016,
Will Lane would an ibanez gsa60 do the job. It sounds good as a beginner guitar for metal, but I've few things about the tremolo arm making it easy to go out of tune
Playing guitar 1 year

Guitars:

Amp:
Arby911 right thanks
Playing guitar 1 year

Guitars:

Amp:
Quote by birkettlewis
would an ibanez gsa60 do the job. It sounds good as a beginner guitar for metal, but I've few things about the tremolo arm making it easy to go out of tune

As a beginner instrument it will do fine you get you started.
Charles Darwin
A guitar with a humbucker and a Peavey Vypry VIP 1. There's a used Vypyr on Ebay UK for 50 right now.
Quote by birkettlewis
Will Lane Thanks, but I need them to be from UK for shipping prices to be low enough
You should be able to find both those models or something very similar in the UK.
Quote by birkettlewis
Will Lane would an ibanez gsa60 do the job. It sounds good as a beginner guitar for metal, but I've few things about the tremolo arm making it easy to go out of tune
It would, although really it is not much different or better than the guitar I suggested. About the tremolo- at guitars this cheap, doing dive-bombs and other such things will make the guitar go out of tune. But for a beginner, they will be fine presuming you are not trying to make the guitar go drastically out of tune.
Last edited by Will Lane at Aug 4, 2016,
The guys above all state the obvious answers, the only thing I'll add is you need to be realistic about your expectations. Buying entry level gear will sound very different to quality products.

IMO if a beginner has the choice, or can save money, then buying quality used items is the way to go. Its much more inspiring playing on a quality guitar then it is to play on a piece of shit. When you find a nice guitar you love you'll find that you pick the guitar up way more. Crappy gear sucks.
'16 Gibson LP Standard T, '95 Fender MIM Strat
Helix Rack, Jetcity JCA50H w/ JCA24s+
DirtFarmer Alright. I'll get the ibanez gsa60 and a cheap amp and get better gear later
Playing guitar 1 year

Guitars:

Amp:
Just took a quick look through the Anderton's website, you might also take a look at the Jackson JS22 guitars, same price Ibanez, I haven't played entry level ibanez but I know that JS22 Jacksons are pretty decent guitars.

In terms of cheap amps here are some form Andertons
https://www.andertons.co.uk/p/SH-205-1369/second-hand/second-hand-roland-cube-15-guitar-amp
https://www.andertons.co.uk/p/LANEY-LG20R/combo-amps/laney-lg20r-lg-guitar-combo-20-watts
https://www.andertons.co.uk/p/IDCORE40/combo-amps/blackstar-id-core-40-guitar-amp
https://www.andertons.co.uk/p/GTHR5/combo-amps/yamaha-thr5-guitar-amp
guitarsngear Thanks, I'll see about getting one, might have to go for the cheap ones depending on budget
Playing guitar 1 year

Guitars:

Amp:
If it's gotta be 100 I would recommend a fender Mustang but don't get single coils as they are typically lower output and noisier. You can definitely do metal with them but as you are trying to keep costs down it wouldn't be feasible as you would have to buy a noise gate as well and you would do better to just buy a better amp at that point.
Together we climb any mountain, rent any video, dial any phone. And not just our phone, other people's phones. Decent phones, God-fearing phones, phones that everybody else gave up on, but we knew better because we were a team!
Quote by H377F1R3
If it's gotta be 100 I would recommend a fender Mustang but don't get single coils as they are typically lower output and noisier. You can definitely do metal with them but as you are trying to keep costs down it wouldn't be feasible as you would have to buy a noise gate as well and you would do better to just buy a better amp at that point.

For metal?
Charles Darwin
Arby911The little modeling amp man haha not the guitar Edit: And that's only if he had to buy new
Together we climb any mountain, rent any video, dial any phone. And not just our phone, other people's phones. Decent phones, God-fearing phones, phones that everybody else gave up on, but we knew better because we were a team!
Last edited by H377F1R3 at Aug 10, 2016,
For 100 pounds, I highly doubt there is anything better than a used 30 watt Peavey Vypyr. Just make sure it's at least the 30 watt model, because they can begin to recreate some of that "thump" in the low-end and come with a 12" speaker (also beneficial in retaining that low-end heaviness). The Vypyr series excels at metal tones, and can get pretty decent clean tones as well. The only thing I really found lacking in mine were the mid-gain tones (blues-rock, standard rock tones). But the 6505 and Rec models do a very respectable job covering those amps. If you can't afford the real thing, it's very hard to beat a Vypyr if we're talking cheap modeling amps. Of course you can do better with higher-end modeling units -- but then you're spending as much or more than a high-gain tube amp...
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
KailM That's true I was only stating for new with possible warranty incase it's gotta be new since he mentioned andertons. A peavey vip would be much better but I believe they are higher priced. I have no clue about the low end used market and so I can only recommend new priced items.
guitarsngear I can't decide between these amps can anyone help me with it (cheap one is out of stock)
Playing guitar 1 year

Guitars:

Amp:
Quote by H377F1R3
Arby911The little modeling amp man haha not the guitar Edit: And that's only if he had to buy new

I know what you meant, it's still not the best choice for metal, even among inexpensive modeling amps.
Charles Darwin
Quote by birkettlewis
guitarsngear I can't decide between these amps can anyone help me with it (cheap one is out of stock)

If I had to pick one it would probably be the blackstar, the Yamaha is probably a slightly better amp but I am not sure how it sounds in the room, the bigger speaker in the blackstar will probably give you a bigger sound. If you are interested in recording the Yamaha has a usb connection so you can record direct to your computer.
Arby911 Yeah I was just keeping in his budget with a new purchase slightly out of budget would be a peavey Vypyr VIP which would be best out of all the low cost modeling amps IMHO.
here are two things i would do:

buy a decent guitar and spend most of your budget on the guitar, and save up for a decent amp.

or

buy a slightly expensive guitar, and buy one of the cheapest amps you can find (to a degree), and play and save for a decent USED amp.

i say this for two reasons. a better guitar will help you enjoy playing better, and if the amp is shit, you just put up with it for a few months. it won't hurt your playing to sound like shit for a short term. also, since you are a beginner, i am sure what you want out of an amp a few months into playing will change. then you could resell that shitty amp used for a similar price, (if it is in the same condition you bought used, you won't lose much if anything). i started on a Fender Frontman, i have friends that have on a marshall MG, line 6 spiders, and we have turned out fine . i got my fender frontman for very cheap when i started, and i got rid of it not long after. then, i bought a big boy amp. and have owned 30 amps since in the last ten or so years. a $20 used amp will bridge you getting something better is worth it IMO. the budget to a better beginner guitar will make more of the difference than going for a 100 quid amp and ditching it for more of a loss later, and you also have a cheaper guitar, which will need replacement sooner.

that is my $.02.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
trashedlostfdup [EDIT]: Doesn't matter can buy it straight up now budget is bigger
Playing guitar 1 year

Guitars:

Amp:
Last edited by birkettlewis at Aug 12, 2016,
can anyone reccommend a good used guitar for a decent price on ebay available to be delivered to UK. if not I will get the js22 and a cheap amp
Playing guitar 1 year

Guitars:

Amp:
I'm going to suggest a different route here since you mentioned a computer. . . .

Instead of an amp, learn how to play with the computer and get an amp when you want to play with others later on.

Peavey ReValver is stand alone easy to use amp simulation software and they have a Metal Pack for $21.99. You can also buy individual amps, pedals, etc. a la carte for less to get started. You can start with the ValveKing sim for free.

Pair ReValver with a Guitar to USB Cable ($20ish) and you're golden.

Get a tab program like Guitar Pro or what Ultimate Guitar offers here on their site so you can play along with things all on your computer.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
metalmingee
sounds interesting, I'll see about that.
Playing guitar 1 year

Guitars:

Amp:
what is better, double humbucker, all single coils or humbucker and single coil
Playing guitar 1 year

Guitars:

Amp:
Quote by birkettlewis
what is better, double humbucker, all single coils or humbucker and single coil

First, define "better" and then we can chat.

But in general the HB/SC will be a more versatile combination.
Charles Darwin
For "metal" double humbucker is the way to go.

Depends on what sounds you want really and what you mean by "metal".

For a beginner I would go double humbucker.

If you want some help narrowing it down, look at what your 5 top favorite bands use that you want to sound like/play and buy what the majority of them use.

Don't over think this! You have to start somewhere. Buy the Jackson that you like the looks of and practice, practice, practice, cuss a whole lot, get pissed off, and then keep practicing. . . .

Spend more time practicing than reading crap on the internet about playing!
Guitars:
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
metalmingee I prefer the look of the gsa60 over the js22 just heard more good stuff about the js22. Mostly just don't like the triangle fret markers rather than dots but it will do
Playing guitar 1 year

Guitars:

Amp:
birkettlewis
Get whichever guitar inspires you to pick it up and play! Just know that you will go through a few of them figuring out what you like and don't like.
Guitars:
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims