Before u say that I can't make my guitar sound like a bass, I successfully recorded a whole album doing it. I just plugged my guitar into AmpliTube and used the bass amp then on my DAW I simply increased the low end on the EQ and it worked fine. However, I did that using a pretty rubbish iPad DAW and now I've upgraded my software to Cubasis (still on my iPad). I've been doing the exact same thing again to get the bass sound and it sounds fine through headphones but when I play it through stereos I can't hear it at all. I can't even hear it when I mute all the other tracks. I've been messing around trying to get the sound through but nothing's working and I'm wondering whether maybe its because Cubasis is too clever or something and it knows that I'm using a guitar. I could just use the MIDI instruments but that would limit the range of techniques I could use plus I find it easier strumming a guitar than using a keyboard. Does anybody have any ideas on what else I could try doing cuz I really can't afford to buy a bass and no I'm not going to sell my guitar.
Ehhh... I mean this with no offense, seriously, but you don't seem to understand much about recording and production of music. Using a bass amp and increasing the low end will not make your guitar sound like a bass. If it sounds like a bass to you, you have not heard a proper bass track in your life. That's ridiculous.

Bass sounds like a bass because of the lower register, not because of the lower frequency. Or well, it's a mixture of both, but a trebly bass will sound more like a bass than a bassy guitar. To make your guitar sound like a bass, you need to pitch shift it an octave lower, and then mix it like a bass. You can do it in most DAW's and with free plugins easily. Still sounds bad compared to a real bass or even a VST, but it's a way.
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
I'd even add... Even as a guitarist who might only rarely ever play bass... It is a nice tool to have in your arsenal. I picked up a really decent used bass about a month ago at a local independent music store (consignment sale) for my school for $200. I could have gotten one cheaper off kijiji but my principal wanted to make sure we had a proper receipt for submitting to accounting.

My own bass, I got ages ago for $100.

It should be a fairly modest investment that you'll often be glad you made - even if you're not a "bass player" per se.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
If you're not going to get a bass, use an octave down shift effect some way, some how.

But your problem is that you cannot hear the track at all? That is a loaded question- something is muting the track some way, some how.
Last edited by Will Lane at Aug 4, 2016,
Ok thanks. There is an octave effect on Amplitube so I used that but it still doesn't fix the problem of not being able to hear it through speakers. I don't understand why everything worked fine when I was doing my last album on the Amplitube DAW but now when I've switched to Cubasis it doesn't work.
There is no reason why Cubase would decide to cut the audio to your fake bass track due to it somehow knowing it isn't a real bass.

Honestly it sounds to me like you need to learn how to use your DAW. Something has been pressed or disabled or something which is causing your audio to be muted.
Have you enabled monitoring on the track?

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
I tried turning up the volume of the project to a ridiculously high level and then I could hear the bass when I soloed the track but it didn't sound bassy at all. It sounds like how an electric guitar would sound without being plugged into an amp. Even if it did sound bassy I obviously can't just turn the volume of the bass track up to a ridiculous level because if I then heard it through headphones it would be way too loud. (Same logic for just increasing the low end on the EQ).
Basically, at the moment I have a bass track where it sounds like a bass through headphones but through speakers it sounds like an electric guitar being played acoustically (and really quietly)...
Quote by AliWhitaker08
I tried turning up the volume of the project to a ridiculously high level and then I could hear the bass when I soloed the track but it didn't sound bassy at all. It sounds like how an electric guitar would sound without being plugged into an amp.

From what you have said this is exactly how it should sound.

Quote by AliWhitaker08
Basically, at the moment I have a bass track where it sounds like a bass through headphones but through speakers it sounds like an electric guitar being played acoustically (and really quietly)...

When you say "speakers" presumably you mean the speakers built into your iPad? If you aren't misinterpreting what it sounds like and it actually does sound this different through headphones/speakers then the audio isn't being routed properly. Never used a DAW on an iPad though so I can't tell you how to fix that.

Also I feel I should point out that a track "having bass", as in containing a lot of bass frequencies, does not mean it is going to sound like a bass guitar. They are fundamentally different instruments.