Use a shorter scale or a capo and/or learn to work with with you've got -for example, reach improves with practice. I've got small hands and fairly short finger, but I get by. My classical teacher had tiny hands, like a child, but he used unconventioanl fingering that he could manage.
How small are your hands? For the most part, those that use the size of their hands as an excuse, whether big or small, tend to be the newer players that are looking for an excuse as to why they're not getting on the better side of the learning curve.

That's not to say the issues don't exist, but maybe it's a lack of experience.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Anyway I have technically statutory raped #nice

Quote by EndThecRinge51
once a girl and i promised to never leave each other

since that promise was broken

i dont make promises any more
Tony Done

Thank you for your response T. I do realize that I must work with what I have. I have never used a capo, as that I am not that advanced, and I don't want to have to rely on one. To give you an example of how short my fingers are: my middle finger, which is the longest, is only 2 3/4 inches long, and my pinky finger is only 2 inches long. I assume when you say that your teacher used unconventional fingering, you mean he improvised? I guess it just means that I will have to work harder, and longer at it. I was just wondering if there might have been a certain technique that could help, that's all.
megano28

Well first off, my fingers are very short. My longest finger is only 2 3/4 inches long, and my shortest finger is only 2 inches long. This has made it difficult for me to reach certain chords that stretch out over 4 frets, and I end up muffling some of the strings because my fingers are touching where they are not supose to. I do realize that I am going to have to work harder at it than others in order achieve the same goals, but it has nothing to do with looking for, or making excuses as to why I am not getting the better end of the learning curve. I was just wondering if there were any ways to improvise.

And yes, my biggest obstical is my inexperience. I should also mention that I am practicing on an acoustic guitar, so my fingers end up hurting, and I have to keep taking breaks. Anyway thank you for your strait forward response.
Last edited by RuleTheStage at Aug 3, 2016,
RuleTheStage

Megano is right, that many beginners use too big, too short, too fat etc as excuses, but yes, your fingers certainly are short.

He was a classical player, so it wasn't so much improvising in, say, the jazz sense as finding ways the get the right notes. I'm sure this meant that he sometimes had to change the arrangement a bit as well.

Others may have suggestions, but I think that stretching practice to improve your reach will help. A lot of beginners classical guitar exercises are designed to improve reach. Don't get discouraged though, you can find plenty of vids of good players with handicaps much worse than yours.

Shortening the scale with a capo is a perfectly legitimate way of improving reach, flamenco players do it, for example.