Hello all.

I got one of these a year ago. Barely played it. The other night I was playing it. I was using it through a marshall mini stack cab ( all ohm issues ok) and through a line 6 pod hd500. Anyway the volume got real low??? I could not figure it out. The clean could not hear at all and the OD channel was real low.

A couple people told me that most likely it is a tube. I thought they would last longer than that. I must have less than 20 hours on it as I have a marshall valvestate mini stack I use much more.

Here is my question about it. What are good tubes to put in it. Is changing them something a novice can do themselves. Do I need to worry about bias? I was told that some amps you have to fool with it and some you don't. Also do I need any special tools or just snap them out and then back in.

Thanks.
Last edited by jtbull at Aug 3, 2016,
Tubes in those amps are plug and play.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
^ I don't think they are. As far as I'm aware, the power tube's a dual triode that's run in fixed bias push-pull to (allegedly- I haven't tried it) make it sound like a bigger amp rather than a single-ender.

so yeah i think blackstar at least would claim it should be biased. whether that's actually strictly necessary, I dunno, but I don't think it's in the "plug and play" group (normally single-enders or cathode-biased amps) either.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ I don't think they are. As far as I'm aware, the power tube's a dual triode that's run in fixed bias push-pull to (allegedly- I haven't tried it) make it sound like a bigger amp rather than a single-ender.

so yeah i think blackstar at least would claim it should be biased. whether that's actually strictly necessary, I dunno, but I don't think it's in the "plug and play" group (normally single-enders or cathode-biased amps) either.

IIRC, the schematic has a 5k balance trimpot that they call "bias" but I don't believe the bias levels themselves are adjustable?

Edit; I'm wrong, there's a 10k bias pot as well.

Whether it needs it or not...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Last edited by Arby911 at Aug 4, 2016,
yeah absolutely, whether it actually needs it or not is the thing.

at the same time, you need to watch you don't void your warranty (assuming it's still under warranty). I could be wrong but I don't think BS wants you to bias it yourself. Don't they use a similar reason (that I totally believe ) for not giving out schematics?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeah right. Like that's the reason that they won't supply schematics.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
lol
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?