I'm in northwest UK and my teacher charges£18 for half an hour and he's mint. I'm so glad I take them. I started with YouTube tutorials and didn't know how to pluck a string correctly! So he put me straight and I'm progressing nicely. I notice he's quite expensive relatively speaking but he seems to pace himself with my ability and enthusiasm and goes over the time limit at times so I tip him?
Last edited by Aprilla at Aug 4, 2016,
I've never taken lessons that had a price per lesson, instead I paid something like 200e for half a year of guitar and theory classes (two 1h lessons per week). I can't remember the exact price. Please note however that I studied at a musical academy that offered formal education in music so it's pretty different from private guitar lessons.
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
I meant in terms of pricing, not education^^
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
Last edited by Kevätuhri at Aug 4, 2016,
I paid $50 a month for lessons at the local guitar shop. Once a week lessons, about 1/2 hour each. Teacher was pretty good.
I always recommend lessons. If not a paid professional, at least with someone who can show you proper technique. You can learn a lot on your own, sure, but someone to start you off is never a bad thing.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
AU$40 for 45 minutes. I would have said that is pretty equivalent to the first 2 UK posters.......until Brexit......
I charge $21 USD per 30 minute guitar lesson. I offer Skype online live lessons. They work really well. Check out my website if you think you might be interested.

www.guitartrainingcamp.com
Aprilla Hey Aprilla) I can become your personal guitar coach for one month only for 60 pounds per month. I'm professional guitarist, I have recorded a single with Greg Home and Frank Gambale. Opened a show for Orianthi - Michael Jackson's guitar player. I'm a professional musician for 15 years and learned all incredible techniques that are just possible and even once played get out of my yard of Paul Gilbert on 6 strings that nobody in the world have ever repeated it. It's very cheap price for one month of me being your personal coach. I'll tell you everything I know about guitar playing, I'll build a personal training system for you, your hands and muscles, I learned a lot of stuff from sport to play like I'm playing guitar.
Contact me on my email that you can find on my facebook page - Anton Oparin Guitar Lessons - and we'll discuss details)
Last edited by tonymetal1 at Aug 30, 2016,
$40 an hour which is phenomenal for Fairfield County, CT! Takes me a little under 30 minutes to get there though, but since I like the teach and the price, it's just time to listen to music I guess.
Wow, all those low prices..
I live in Cologne, Germany and most teachers I find want 100 euros per month for 45mins every week.(~$110)
Because of those prices, I never took lessons and just learned with the internet. Started playing 4 months ago.
Quote by TobusRex
Don't be too intimidated. I'm lying out my yazoo....

It's not really a lie though, it's just that your student count perpetually hovers around zero...

You would have to pay me truly stupidly high amounts of money to get me to teach guitar...not because I'm any good, but because it would suck all the fun out of it.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
It's not really a lie though, it's just that your student count perpetually hovers around zero...

You would have to pay me truly stupidly high amounts of money to get me to teach guitar...not because I'm any good, but because it would suck all the fun out of it.

Hey, just like discussing politics with you then!!!
Quote by TobusRex
Hey, just like discussing politics with you then!!!

Something like that...

It's not that you're ignorant, you just know so many things that aren't so.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
cynthiamyra My teacher I found through takelessons.com and he's great and I think he charges like $60 an hour, but he's great.
Im in Midwest USA and I charge $20 for 30 minutes and $35 for an hour. That's just what my teacher charged when I was growing up so I copied his prices. Seems pretty standard for the area.
I charge $50US/ hour $30/ 1/2 hour for Skype lessons, In my area (west coast US) that is pretty average.

Have gigged all over the world and taught for 15 years, specializing in modern blues, funk, soul. Check out tastyguitar.com
Quote by tastyguitar
I charge $50US/ hour $30/ 1/2 hour for Skype lessons, In my area (west coast US) that is pretty average.

Have gigged all over the world and taught for 15 years, specializing in modern blues, funk, soul. Check out tastyguitar.com

Great site design ... some reason I'm now hungry. Free videos are really good and to the point. Especially compared to a load of garbage that's out there.

(I am ex-pro guitarist, and teach (teachers) )
Great site design ... some reason I'm now hungry. Free videos are really good and to the point. Especially compared to a load of garbage that's out there.

(I am ex-pro guitarist, and teach (teachers) )
https://soundcloud.com/jerry-kramskoy-1
jerrykramskoy Thank you Jerry! I Dig the sounds on "Cool by day ice by night" Well done.
Last edited by tastyguitar at Sep 1, 2016,
I had a phenomenal teacher who was a local guitar hero, and he charged $75 for a set of four 30 min lessons.

Since I've started teaching, I've charged $15 a lesson and will go to most of my student's homes (because that seems to work for them), but if they lived a little further out, I would charge $20 per lesson or so.
Try adding more delay.
Hi everyone!

There is obviously a type of going rate depending upon the instructor's experience, technique and years of playing.

In my humble opinion, it also depends, upon what the instructor can bring to the table as well as fixed costs (rent etc).

Some guitar instructors charge £15 per hour others £75 per 30 minutes.

The most important factor is not always the price of the lessons, but the quality of guitar instruction you will receive.
in Canada its anywhere from $15 a half hour (which would be at a guys house) to $20 from music stores with teachers of various experience and education.
I charge a BJ once a week for monthly lessons.....I work from home now since I've been banned from all music Shops in my Provence . Damn white man always bringing me down.
My teacher who I took lessons from for seven years was ~30/half hour. That was a lot, but I'm in an expensive area and he was a great teacher.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
In Massachusetts, it's typically $50 a hour/$25 for a half hour. That's what the 4 places that I know of charge.
Thanks guys for all the replies!

David K's San Jose Music School!

They offer Music Lessons (piano, violin, viola, cello, double-bass, guitar lessons San Jose, drums, saxophone, clarinet, flute, electric bass and voice), on Saratoga Avenue near Westgate in San Jose.

To Provide the Highest Quality Music Instruction to Every Student.
I paid 60$ a lesson (1 hour once a week) in San Fransisco for the first month. It's high because of location. After the first month we negotiated new terms, changed the timing a bit and lowered the price to a more manageable amount.

EDIT: feel free to let the instructor know what your budget is. I'm sure they'll work with you so long as you aren't a shit student.
'16 Gibson LP Standard T, '15 Epi LP Standard with 57/57+ Gibbys
Blackstar S1-45, Marshall DSL100H, JetCity JCA50H
Last edited by DirtFarmer at Oct 19, 2016,