I'm trying to play circus for a psycho by skillet, and it requires fret-hopping from the 12th and 7th frets at relatively high speeds, here's the video of the song

I'm having trouble synchronizing the picking and the fretting. Like, I'll lose track of either my picking or fretting and it just sounds sloppy. I've tried starting slow and building speed for a day or two now, but at the original speed, I still can't keep it synchronized. So is there any exercise to deal with this?
It's pretty simple. You need to practice it slowly, and you need to stay relaxed to play a part like that fluidly. Just slow it down, make sure you get rid of any extra tension, and practice it using only your wrist and small pick movements. That should be a start.
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
Last edited by Kevätuhri at Aug 4, 2016,
Quote by Kevätuhri
It's pretty simple. You need to practice it slowly, and you need to stay relaxed to play a part like that fluidly. Just slow it down, make sure you get rid of any extra tension, and practice it using only your wrist and small pick movements. That should be a start.

Okay thanks, but I have another question: when playing these types of songs, I tend to pick with the guitar pick facing the side. This sort of makes the pick slide against the string rather than plucking it. Is this technique acceptable? Or will it hinder my skill development later on?
It's actually considered good technique to pick at a slight angle. Put your pick flat against the strings, and then turn it slightly so that you get something like a 45 degree angle, or maybe a bit less. The pick shouldn't be completely parallel or perpendicular to the string. If it's completely flat, you get a lot of unnecessary resistance, and if it's perpendicular, you will lack a lot of attack and strength.
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
Are you using a metronome? For any sort of combined precision/speed excercises or licks I find it an absolute must to use a metronome incrementally increasing speed as I feel confident at each setting.
Quote by Kevätuhri
It's actually considered good technique to pick at a slight angle. Put your pick flat against the strings, and then turn it slightly so that you get something like a 45 degree angle, or maybe a bit less. The pick shouldn't be completely parallel or perpendicular to the string. If it's completely flat, you get a lot of unnecessary resistance, and if it's perpendicular, you will lack a lot of attack and strength.

I don't mean at an angle like that, I mean I rotate the pick itself like almost 90 degrees, sort of like what you do for pinch harmonics. Idk it just helps me pick faster.
CanadianRockTwo different skills ... better practised separately while nailing it. 90 degrees to string sounds excessive. But main thing is consistency ... and also how little of the tip of the pick face comes in contact. The more of the tip, the more resistance again.