Looking for a good metal guitar under 400$. I am okay with buying used. I mostly play metallica so I would like a guitar with active pickups so I could swap them out with emgs or pay someone to. I would like it to have a good body wood and neck wood and thats about it
You need a better amp first. The Special II can do metal just fine. It's the amp that's lacking tonewise. Getting a new guitar won't change that.
If it's Metallica you really want, find a used Epiphone Explorer 1984, it comes with EMGs standard. Should be around $400.

Also, you should move this to Guitar Gear and Accessories. This forum isn't for this kind of question.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
Last edited by ryanbwags at Aug 4, 2016,
I don't know how good the music instruments section of craigslist is where you live. But here in Seattle area, it's killer. Deals on wheels and steals on deals. Check your local craigslist for a few weeks.

Other than that, I have my epiphone SG 310 that I got about 7 years ago for $200-ish. Fucking KILLER deal. After I did some setup work, wore the neck in a little bit, and put Crunchlab and Liquifire into it, it'll outplay damn near any gibson SG you bring to me.

Also Indonesian ibanez' are not bad at all after a setup and some working in of the neck. People don't realize the oil from their fingers and their fingerprints actually smooths the neck over time. Most great playing guitars aren't anything spectacular; they've just been thoroughly broken in.
^squiers have been getting so good these last 5 or 10 years. A MIJ squier will run circles around any modern MIA fender.
I have a classic vibe butterscotch tele that plays like a dream. Not really a metal guitar per se, but I threw a bareknuckle set into it and it'll definately keep up. But still, I'd go for a solid humbler on mahogany/basswood guitar for metal.
CJax I might go for a squier strat or fender mim just to change things up, and what ryan said, the epi is fine for metal. I would just like to get closer to the sound
get you a squier and drop a seymour duncan rail humbucker into the bridge. Then coil tap that bitch so you can have your cake and eat it too.
steamingsoupbeg
Use the Fender amp for everything! Throw that tiny Marshall in the trash! Get an overdrive pedal and plug it in with the gain low and the level high. It should make that amp nice and metally!
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
I had Epiphone Les Paul Studio in the past and you can use it in any genre, from rock to metal to country, blues and jazz. That, along with Epiphone quality, is why it got my top spot until I had more money to invest in a better one. It's less than $400
“Music is a necessity. After food, air, water and warmth, music is the next necessity of life.” - Keith Richards
any schecter, they have a demon-6 at guitar center for like 450 I think, a little more than what you asked, but just 50 more. it is an outstanding guitar that can be used for professional recording, shows anything.