I currently have a epi les paul spec ii and a marshall mg10cd practice amp, wich should i upgrade first? I play mostly metallica.

For an amp i would like a 3 band eq atleast and high gain. Chorus and/or reverb is nice too.

For the guitar I want 2 active pickups (humbuckers) so I can swap them for emgs. I would also like 24 frets.
Upgrade amp first to a Peavey Vypyr VIP 1: $130

Save more for a guitar. It's going to be hard to find a new guitar with active pickups for that budget. Perhaps you can find a used Jackson with EMG pickups or wait for Agiles to go on sale on a holiday.
I'll take a shot at this. $400 for both is tight. . .

So, I did some looking at Guitar Center used. You'll have to add some shipping and tax to this but here you go:

Spend around $200 on a Jackson Dinky - skip anything that has JS or Standard in the model name. There are some DXKT models in this price range that would work great (maybe the description is wrong though). On Sale for $199 - http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Jackson/DKXT-Dinky-Solid-Body-Electric-Guitar-110969042.gc

Heads up that you can swap the pickups out in this Jackson for EMGs later on if you really want to. Just buy the complete kit and swap everything out. You're not going to get active pickups in your price range but that's ok. The pickups will be as much as the guitar at that point and no, you won't recoup that investment if you try to sell it. This particular guitar looks to a great deal that you could flip and make $ on. Hmm. . . . . . .

For the amp, here's a Randall KH-75 for only $169. . . http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Randall/KH75-Kirk-Hammet-1x12-75W-Guitar-Combo-Amp-112290997.gc

That's right around $400 for the pair and should last for a while without being complete garbage.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Last edited by metalmingee at Aug 4, 2016,
Quote by metalmingee
I'll take a shot at this. $400 for both is tight. . .

So, I did some looking at Guitar Center used. You'll have to add some shipping and tax to this but here you go:

Spend around $200 on a Jackson Dinky - skip anything that has JS or Standard in the model name. There are some DXKT models in this price range that would work great (maybe the description is wrong though). On Sale for $199 - http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Jackson/DKXT-Dinky-Solid-Body-Electric-Guitar-110969042.gc

Heads up that you can swap the pickups out in this Jackson for EMGs later on if you really want to. Just buy the complete kit and swap everything out. You're not going to get active pickups in your price range but that's ok. The pickups will be as much as the guitar at that point and no, you won't recoup that investment if you try to sell it. This particular guitar looks to a great deal that you could flip and make $ on. Hmm. . . . . . .

For the amp, here's a Randall KH-75 for only $169. . . http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Randall/KH75-Kirk-Hammet-1x12-75W-Guitar-Combo-Amp-112290997.gc

That's right around $400 for the pair and should last for a while without being complete garbage.

Thank you but i meant guitar or amp. Ill check them both out
Quote by dthmtl3
Upgrade amp first to a Peavey Vypyr VIP 1: $130

Save more for a guitar. It's going to be hard to find a new guitar with active pickups for that budget. Perhaps you can find a used Jackson with EMG pickups or wait for Agiles to go on sale on a holiday.

Is it a tube?
Oh, if you want a tube amp for $400 to play metal get a used Peavey 6505+ 112 and call it a day. Green channel with crunch and the gain up = thrash rhythm.

Then start saving for an older Made in Japan (MIJ) Jackson Dinky or a newer Pro series.
Guitars:
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
steamingsoupbeg
Sure thing. For used gear cross reference Guitar Center Used, Craigslist, Reverb, and Music-go-round. Those will give you a good feel for the market.
Guitars:
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
Buy all you gear from sites like zzounds.com or americanmusical.com
Its perfect for us broke ass musicians!