Hi,

Right from the word go, this is my fault not being able to hold the pic properly as a beginner. I know it's my technique and I've yet to perfect it. I've tried different grips and angles, holed pics, glued sand paper on pic, grippy pics, rubber picks etc etc, the same problem remains. The pic just spins, moves and eventually falls out my fingers !

This problem really showed it's self the other day just as I thought I'd got it right. I'm learning the fast strumming section of Rage Against The Machine, Killing In The Name, I just can't get my pic to even last half the way down the Octave run, getting to the end and then back into the strum section would be an impossibility for me.

I'm sure I'm not alone in 'beginner world' !!!!!

But problem now sorted !!!!

I bought a pack of Monster Grips. Not cheap at £8.50 delivered in the UK for 16 pads (enough for 8 pics) but F*** me they WORK !!!!!!

I have nothing to do with Monster Grips in any way and totally didn't expect this product to work, but it DOES !!! I can now strum as hard or as fast as I like for as long as I like, the pic just stays there, locked!!! The picture shows two pads removed and stuck onto my Jazz III pic, fantastic product

I get it....but I tend to move my pick around when I play to get different attacks/angles, etc.

I guess if you don't do that, these would be good.
Have you considered just trying larger picks? Or getting the Jazz III Max Grips?

In general, I'd just say to practice your technique if that's the issue.
Maybe I need to repost the very first thing I said?

"Right from the word go, this is my fault not being able to hold the pic properly as a beginner. I know it's my technique and I've yet to perfect it."

This is a thread aimed at beginners like me that are having problems, these may help?
Last edited by sunbeam.ti at Aug 5, 2016,
I didn't have that problem ever, not even as a beginner. Sure, it's happened a few times live due to sweaty hands, but it's never been a consistent occurence for me. My picking is far from perfect also, by the way. My point was more that you just might be using the wrong picks for your style of playing. I love Jazz III Max Grips for a lot of stuff, but I use different picks if I have to strum open chords a lot or play heavier strings, for instance.
"I didn't have that problem ever, not even as a beginner"

That's great news, thank you That now means that the issue doesn't exist and I'm just dreaming it. When I wake up my perceived problem will be gone, AWESOME, thanks
Well if it is a technique issue, you need to fix that first rather than using the pick-thing as a crutch. I can see the use for the accidental dropage of picks, but if you are having trouble with a whole phrase, you need to fix your technique.
Sure, don't read the rest of my post and make a passive-aggressive post. You have an issue, I'm trying to make you see that it could be something different than what you might think. It might not be something about your technique or whatever you think the problem is and you might want to explore using different types of picks. I tried tons of different ones to land where I'm at right now and I still use 3 different types depending on what the occasion is.
Quote by sunbeam.ti
Maybe I need to repost the very first thing I said?

"Right from the word go, this is my fault not being able to hold the pic properly as a beginner. I know it's my technique and I've yet to perfect it."

This is a thread aimed at beginners like me that are having problems, these may help?
Beginners should work on perfecting their technique.

Using these instead of doing so will result in continued poor technique.

Why are you so defensive?
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Will Lane
Well if it is a technique issue, you need to fix that first rather than using the pick-thing as a crutch. I can see the use for the accidental dropage of picks, but if you are having trouble with a whole phrase, you need to fix your technique.

Totally.

Helping beginners is fine but IMO a bigger help would be to address the actual problem causing it (technique) instead of blaming the tools.

Quote by Arby911
Beginners should work on perfecting their technique.

Using these instead of doing so will result in continued poor technique.

Why are you so defensive?

100 percent. Sorry you feel attacked but being defensive when people aren't even being aggressive towards you and actually have a point is beyond silly.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Last edited by H4T3BR33D3R at Aug 5, 2016,
Do you know why we're trying to help? Because a bad habit is incredibly hard to get out of. Probably everyone has had a bad habit that was hard to get out of as a guitar player and knows how hard it can be to learn the proper way.

If you hit your fingers with a hammer, you don't go out and buy a foam hammer. You learn how to use a hammer without hitting your fingers.
I've been taking lessons for 2 years and not yet been able to hold my pick right for strumming ( go on, blame the teacher, I know you will ! )
I've tried at least 30 types of picks, big, small, pitted, holed, rough, sand papered, slitted etc etc, still can't hold it while strumming !

I've read loads of posts by people that struggle to hold picks while strumming.

This product solved the problem for me the instant I fitted them.

I thought I could help somebody at the end of their tether like me !

OK, so I'm beyond silly, and I wasn't being "passive-aggressive", I was being sarcastic !

It's all very well for you guys who can play to sit there and tell people like me to "address the actual problem", but against all the odds I'm finding it hard !! I've been asking for somebody local to help me for 2 years and NOBODY AT ALL has offered !!!!! Including this forum many times !!! Even the lad NEXT DOOR that plays will not help !!!!! what the hell am I meant to do ??? I found a product that works for me, good or bad, it solves the problem you playing guys WILL NOT HELP ME WITH !!!!!

Guitar is a very unhelpful and unfriendly pass time I have found, apart from the shops of coarse. They see beginners as walking cash boxes and will do their hardest to empty it !!!

Don't worry guys, I'll not bother to pass on some (maybe) helpful tips to somebody that may find it beneficial !

In fact, F*** IT, I'll leave this forum because your of no use to me or my playing.

Goodbye, and I WILL let the door slam me in the ass as I go !!!!