My practice gear is a semi functional Boss ME-50 which I plug into a shite old Fender Champion 300 amp. I mostly play hard rock stuff like Rush and The Who and Thrash/Death stuff like Megadeth/Death. So i'm looking for something with clarity for the slightly OD parts for heavy rock and something that doesn't sound messy when the gain is cranked.

I tested a Roland Cube 30 out a few weeks ago and while it definitely sounded better than my setup, it lacked punch on the heavier settings and the crunch tone sounded more noisy than I'd like.

Also Is it better to go for a nice modelling amp or a solid state with a multi FX pedal again? (not interested in tubes)

Appreciate any advice.
Last edited by Fender Usa at Aug 5, 2016,
Location? Budget? Are you willing to buy used?

Why arent you interested in tubes? The bands you listed are.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
H4T3BR33D3R
Sorry I thought i left a budget, nothing over £250 ideally. In the UK and I could go used although I've had bad luck in the past.

I have a big tube amp for gigging and it's given me a lot of trouble, I just want a smaller cheaper practice amp for my room. No hassles!
Any amp can be unreliable. Tubes most likely have nothing to do with it. What's your big amp?

A decent practice modeller I like is the Peavey Vypyr 30. It has really great sounding models and decent effects as well. Definitely covers lower gain tones better than something like a Line 6 Spider and still can keep up for heavier tones. Really though, if this is just for practice and nothing else, have you considered just getting an interface and getting good VST/amp sims and run them on your computer? It's what I do for late night/quiet practice.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
2nd the Vypyr.
If it's between a solid state with a multi effects and a Vypyr, I'd probably go Vypyr everytime. You should be able to get a nice big one used for $250 if you can spend some time looking and waiting.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals