hi, guys
i hear people talk about stacking there drive pedal together,

whats the idea of stacking drive pedals?

do you guys use your drive pedals this way ?

do some drive pedal work/stack well together then other drive pedals ?

thanks for your time guys,
bluesfloyd,
I've done a bit of stacking a Ibenez TS808 (vintage OD) in front of a Big Muff Nano (fuzz). I thought it was kinda cool but not really my thing.

I've also tried messing with the Fulltone OCD and the TS808, again seemed cool but not my thing. I tend to like the natural sound of the amp with just a little OD added.

Overall I think that is just sounded too muddy stacking too much
'16 Gibson LP Standard T, '15 Epi LP Standard with 57/57+ Gibbys
Blackstar S1-45, Marshall DSL100H, JetCity JCA50H
Last edited by DirtFarmer at Aug 5, 2016,
different people may stack pedals for different reasons. The main purpose of stacking pedals is so that I can have varying levels of gain without having to bend down and tweak pedals while playing - 1 pedal light gain - 2 pedals stacked more gain. You also change the tone up a bit by having multiple pedals.

most OD pedals will stack well with each other just play around, also order makes a difference the same two pedals stacked A-B or B-A will give different tones.

Try stacking different types of ODs as well for more tonal variety - as in stacking a Klon type pedal and TS type pedal as opposed to two TS pedals.
It can be a dangerous game to be honest, by all means do it but just be wary of muddying the general tone too much and losing all definition. With cheaper pedals you also start moving very quickly into brittle 'glassy' tone - and not the good kind that's based on high fidelity. If you stack OD and dist you can also end up with a way fuzzier tone as a whole, which is useful for scenarios but they are far and few between (fuzz pedals and fuzz sounds have very, very limited uses if you ask me anyway).

Also be prepared for quite a bit of hissing and feedback, if you're going to dual stomp be sure you're playing some rhythm for that moment or a very fluid solo that doesn't have any stops.

Personally before I knew any better I used to run either the drive on it's own and then use my distortion pedal to boost its saturation and volume. It worked sure but in retrospect knowing what I know now and my general understanding of tone, it was kind of a mistake. As all the big guys say, less gain just simply means more.

My advice for double driving your tone is only really do it if your pedal doesn't have a volume boost mode in it, or if you don't have a volume boost. And if you have to do it for whatever reason, make sure your secondary drive pedal has a bit more tone to it and the gain not massively higher than the first pedal. You can get some interesting tones by stacking drives but you've really got to watch out for being stung by it. It might sound cool and heavy when you play by yourself or to a backing track, but in a band situation it's a very quick and easy way to get lost in the mix and sound a bit shitty overall.

For me I'd have to say, by all means have two drive pedals or a drive and a distortion, but be sure to include a volume boost too. That way you can boost your gain for a single pedal using the boost, and still have two distinct drive tones that can be run separately to give a different tonal variety. But then again another piece of advice if you're running two different drive pedals, make sure they're of similar value/quality - otherwise the cheaper one will stick out like a sore thumb.

EDIT:

Just want to point out I'm coming from a gigging/recording perspective using somewhat expensive gear - a few years ago when I was still learning and was using cheaper gear dual stomping could bring out some good results using cheaper pedals and cheaper amps. It's good to experiment with, but if you're gigging etc I think it's better to keep drives separate unless you're 100% confident that dual stacking is good for your bands sound.
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
Last edited by Anthony1991 at Aug 5, 2016,
i've never gotten anything from running two drive pedals that i couldn't do with one. i leave a Seymour Duncan 808 on all the time (because it has more flexible equalizer settings), and use a TS-7 as a lead boost. but i would never use both of them at the same time for a rhythm sound because each pedal can provide more than enough drive on its own, since i'm just using them on top of distortion.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
The order matters too. For example, the Green Rhino is a great overdrive but if you boost its input it quickly becomes a noisy POS. So it has to go first.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
As was stated, I think best case scenario is using an OD as a tone shaper, and then another for a lead boost. Or maybe using an OD on the clean channel and then another as a slight gain boost. Other than that, I can see doing OD stacking for a noisey passage kind of like something Jack White would do, but I couldn't imagine using more than one OD for my main tone.
Gibson Les Paul 60s Tribute
Jackson King V
Peavey Valveking 100
Ampeg VH140C
Boss TU-3 Chromatic Tuner
MXR ZW-44 Overdrive
Dunlop ZW-45 Wah
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Digitech JamMan Solo XT
Peavey Vypyr VIP 1
I currently use a mostly clean amp and 3 pedals for gain; boost, distortion and fuzz. Not only does each pedal sound sweet on its own but they also all get along very well and can all be kicked on at the same time for a noise-free but absurdly saturated tone.

Some very sweet dirt pedals don't sound all that great mixed with other good dirt pedals so it really is trial and error to find something that works for you.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
I have 2 OD's: The Keeley Red Dirt Mini and an old Ibanez TS-9.

I use the Keeley for effectively a clean boost (drive down low) and the TS-9 for a rhythm tone (drive around 12 o'clockish)
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
Mayones Regius 7 Buckeye Burl
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Fender American Standard Tele
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special
Bugera 333
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Line 6 PodHD500
bluesfloyd I have three drive pedals - xotic ac booster, bb preamp and pharaoh fuzz.

Each pedal sounds great on it's own and they sound great stacked. Normally i would engage two pedals to boost a certain part and add more gain. I ll put all three if i need a vortex of crazy.

The trick is to not max out the gain on the drive pedals - that keeps them from getting too muddy when stacked. Not every pedal will stack well either.
Last edited by reverb66 at Aug 6, 2016,