basically, I am thinking of going travelling with just a large backpack with essentials in it. I would very much like to take my own electric guitar to continue to practice. I was wondering whether it would be viable to detach the neck from a cheap strat copy and pack the body and neck into my bag. I wondered whether regular detachment of the neck from the body, possibly almost every day during some periods of time would seriously damage the guitar or anything. I would use a cheap guitar for this reason, but if it would quickly become damaged I suppose it'd be no use any way.

thoughts?
I imagine the screw holes would become worn and the neck bolts would stop biting properly, but I couldn't say for sure. The usual toothpick trick might be enough to get you by if that is the case.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 
This is not something you want to do regularly. Maybe once for a big trip, but not daily.
There are full-size (but folding) guitars that work very well on an every day basis (look up VoyageAir), but I like the idea of the headless guitars that are full-size in scale but that are tiny enough to fit in overheads easily. The Kiesel Vader and headless Holdsworth guitars come to mind, for example.
bring a full size electric pack in very good case or just get a travel electric guitar, use a good sturdy case to protect it. i don't think detaching and reattaching the neck would be good idea, may strip the screw holes or affect alignment. Shredneck has some travel guitar... http://www.shredneck.com/ either LP series (dual humbucker) or ST series (HSS)

Here is mine (with upgrades Dragonfire Quadrail coil-split via push-pull tone pot)

I have Washburn guitars 'Maverick Series' and bass 'Bantam Series' and a few pedals and amps, but man I wish to have more patience and drive practicing my playing, if it's equal to the modding itch, then I'm golden.
Last edited by psp742 at Aug 6, 2016,
Why not just take a parlour acoustic guitar? I imagine that would be better for travelling with, has practically no weight and requires no electric?
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
You can get the threaded neck inserts(I think onyx makes some or just google "neck inserts for guitar") and that would definitely solve the wear and tear problem. Heck you might even be able to goto a hardware store and get the necessary parts at a fairly low price. I have considered doing this as well, but my trips usually last a few months.
I can't imagine that removing and re attaching the neck plus restring would be a good option at all, it iwll more than likely strip the screw holes in time but even without the damage it just sounds like an incredible pain to do this. If a small travel size guitar, of which many are available, doesn't suit you then try a 3/4 or "student" size guitar with a case it would be much more portable than a ful size axe but not as small as a traveler.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

http://www.voyageairguitar.com/

These are designed specifically to be full-size guitars with a folding mechanism that can be used over and over again and that will allow you to be mostly in tune (!) when you get where you're going. Add to that the fact that they've got cases designed specifically to protect the guitars while meeting airline standards for overheads, etc., and you've got everything you need.

Last edited by dspellman at Aug 11, 2016,
Quote by dspellman
http://www.voyageairguitar.com/

These are designed specifically to be full-size guitars with a folding mechanism that can be used over and over again and that will allow you to be mostly in tune (!) when you get where you're going. Add to that the fact that they've got cases designed specifically to protect the guitars while meeting airline standards for overheads, etc., and you've got everything you need.

That's pretty cool I'd like to see a humbucker version.

"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Just do it dude, you'll be fine, its 4 bolts. If you can't take off the bolts that hold your guitar neck on, just leave it at home.
Gear:
1987 Charvel Model II
2010 Carvin ST300C
1990 Charvette 100
1991 Ibanez RG560M
2006 Fender Mexi Strat
Jackson/Charvel Star W/ Custom Graphics.
Ovation CP 247 Acoustic
Line 6 POD HD Pro X
Pro Tools 9

Tutorial: Studio Quality Programmed Drum Sounds
I've done it before, had to transport a guitar across the country and didn't have a case or bag to fit it so I took the neck off and wrapped it in some bubble wrap and wrapped the body in some towels and clothes and put it in a suitcase. lol
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
( )_( ) signature to help him gain World Domination

Do you remember chalk hearts melting on a playground wall
Do you remember dawn escapes from moon washed college halls
Do you remember the cherry blossom in the market square
Do you remember I thought it was confetti in our hair
Quote by RBM01991
Just do it dude, you'll be fine, its 4 bolts. If you can't take off the bolts that hold your guitar neck on, just leave it at home.

Doing it once or twice is fine. He's talking about doing it virtually every day. Not a great idea.