What are your favourite good quality guitar effect pedals that are around £50/$65?
I find EHX nearly always delivers the goods and probably the majority of their core models run around £50-60 new, but duck well into can't-really-go-wrong price ranges of £20-30 if you shop used in the right places. MXR pedals are nearly always great and generally the smaller ones cost just a little more than that used, and the old MIJ Ibby pedals (or at least the models that haven't become collectable) can sometimes be a real bargain on eBay - the 9 and x0x ones tend to be more costly because of the Tubescreamer prestige (though my EQ only cost me £25) but the L and 10 series can get very affordable. There's also the 7 "Tone-Lok" series, which aren't too nicely made but sometimes have some very nice features and sounds. I've got the WD7 wah which is a bit of a Marmite pedal but I'm happy enough with it for £50.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Last edited by K33nbl4d3 at Aug 6, 2016,
you may want to look into some of the Chinese knock off pedals made by Joyo or Mooer. the analog stuff they make tends to be fairly decent (digital is very hit or miss). I have a tubescreamer clone that I use for home practice or the occasional jam that sounds pretty close to the real thing. I wouldn't do a world tour with it but for a throw it in the case and not worry pedal it's surprisingly good.
Quote by elidanczuk
monwobobbo is the tubescreamer clone the green mile?

mine is from Eno Music which is just another brand that these are sold under and is called an OD-9 (instead of TS-9) but yes the green mile is a tubescreamer clone.
Has anyone tried the Tone City pedals? The videos I've seen of them look good for the money, I think that they start around £40.
Quote by luke.g.henderso
Has anyone tried the Tone City pedals? The videos I've seen of them look good for the money, I think that they start around £40.

they appear to be yet another rebrand of the same Chinese knock offs that are all over the place these days. good for the money but quality control is iffy. most that have tried these types of pedals seem to think they are good for the money
^ yeah i've heard similar good things about the tone cities in terms of tone (i suspect what you say is true about the build quality, that's sort of true across the board as you said) but i haven't tried them.

it's not as cheap since the pound devalued, but possibly still cheaper than in the UK- thomann has a lot of the joyo pedals rebranded under its house "harley benton" brand, and they're often a good bit cheaper than the joyo-branded stuff you get in the UK. You also get a 3-year, "don't even have to return it if it breaks" (at least if my experience with them holds true still) warranty which again is better than you get with the joyo-branded stuff you buy locally.

^^^^ (K33nbl4d3) yeah the ehx stuff sounds very good for the money (the stuff i've tried, anyway). some complaints about QC and build quality (at least on the fretboard forum), but that tends to be the way... you can get good-sounding pedals for cheap, or reliable pedals for cheap, but getting both you often have to spend a bit more. Not necessarily tons of money, but not the really cheap stuff either.

the digitech hardwire stuff is pretty good for the money (though possibly discontinued now). certainly the distortions and ods are nice (the ones i've tried). the bad monkey (sort of tubescreamerish with a bass control), screamin blues (glorified bd2 clone) and hot head (glorified ds1 clone) aren't bad either for the money, though the buffers aren't amazing and the bad monkey has a little bit of a muffled aspect to its tone.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
also boss sd1. or the cheap daphon (often rebranded under other names) clone.

^ yeah, though bear in mind those cheaper pedals are often clones of dearer pedals- they often don't sound quite as good (sometimes it's not that accurate of a clone, sometimes just made a bit too cheaply), but some of them can get pretty close. as i said above, reliability is often the concern more than the tone.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
some complaints about QC and build quality (at least on the fretboard forum), but that tends to be the way... you can get good-sounding pedals for cheap, or reliable pedals for cheap, but getting both you often have to spend a bit more. Not necessarily tons of money, but not the really cheap stuff either.
Maybe so. Having owned a few I don't think they're any worse than pretty much anything else in their price range, though I do think that spending a relatively small amount extra can get you the same kind of thing with noticeably nicer construction (probably the best direct comparison would be Small Stone to Phase 90), and that EHX's construction, relatively consistent across their various price ranges as it is, doesn't really meet expectations when things get close to £100, even if the features and sounds impress. I think EHX is possibly held to an unfair standard in that regard since they have a certain reputation from their classic pedals that Joyo and the like don't, even though EHX is, and always has been, a budget pedal company.

Or I could be totally wrong in that regard. Even so, I've owned four, I currently own two and I regret selling one. In the £20-40 range that many of their models sell for used, I feel confident saying they're the among the best that can be had at that price, and I find they're often a great way of getting used to what a good example of such-and-such effect sounds like before shelling out for a more expensive one.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
sometimes you can find some cheap voodoo labs stuff for maybe a few dollars more on the used market.

i know i picked up the proctavia for around that, maybe similar for the microvibe.

one of the best kept secret of cheap pedals is the original visual sound H20, bbd chorus and a digital delay in one box. they may be a few dollars more, but they kill two birds with one stone.

i will see if i can think of a few others.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
In the US you can get a used Digitech Hardwire CM2 for as little as $30. The CM2 is a sweet od pedal imo, ignoring the price. Its versatile as hell, even has a switch to go from single coils to humbuckers, at least that's how I use it. It gets along well with other pedals, booster or boostee. Its a kickass od pedal at any price..
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by trashedlostfdup

one of the best kept secret of cheap pedals is the original visual sound H20, bbd chorus and a digital delay in one box. they may be a few dollars more, but they kill two birds with one stone.

I agree, and feel likewise about VisualSound's Jekyll & Hyde Dist/OD.

Note: the original V1 pedals are good, but the V2s have a MUCH better housing. If you're rough, clumsy or huge, spend the extra time & $ for the V2 versions. They look similar, with the same footprint, but there is a riser on the back that helps protect the knobs.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by dannyalcatraz
I agree, and feel likewise about VisualSound's Jekyll & Hyde Dist/OD.

Note: the original V1 pedals are good, but the V2s have a MUCH better housing. If you're rough, clumsy or huge, spend the extra time & $ for the V2 versions. They look similar, with the same footprint, but there is a riser on the back that helps protect the knobs.

I don't think the chorus is the same circuit, that is why I like the v1.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Never got to compare them, so I can't say yea or nay.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

EH has had some quality issues but overall are pretty good. the Soul Food pedal had some issues when they first came out but I think they tried to rush that to meet demand. one thing about EH is that they have their own thing sound wise and aren't really copied much as they are pretty cheap to begin with. haven't had any issues with my metal muff or nano small stone at all.

the Digitech Hardwire stuff has been discontinued. they are in the process of splitting their pedal line. analog stuff will be under the DOD brand and digital will be Digitech (which is how it was back in the late 80s). the Bad Monkey has also been discontinued as have a lot of their pedals.
In general I think we always have to pay more in the UK - in the US they always seem to be able to get nicer pedals for less so i don't know how accurately that '£50/$65' holds up. Probably closer to £50/$55 now.

That being said, I own a Mooer compressor and it feels more sturdy than my EHX and maybe even TC Electronic pedals. Not much experience with them otherwise but so far i'm impressed given what I paid.

I managed to get a used Maxon OD-9 for £60 recently and it's study as anything and sounds amazing. New i think it's closer to £100 though. They've definitely gone up since I first purchased one.
"If you want beef, then bring the ruckus." - Marilyn Monroe
Last edited by USCENDONE BENE at Aug 7, 2016,
USCENDONE BENE
Yeah, the exchange rate's never really held up as an equivalent where guitar gear is concerned, but with the pound falling prices on a lot of stuff have spiked.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Bladez22
I think Ibanez said they were putting prices up 10% this month in the UK, i'm sure others are doing something similar.

Also I don't know about anyone else but I almost always feel more confident buying a used pedal from a reliable brand than a new pedal at the same price from one of the knockoff brands, even without the warranty.
"If you want beef, then bring the ruckus." - Marilyn Monroe
I'd tend to agree on that count. Of my 12 pedals only two were bought new, and my board certainly wouldn't be so impressive (or colourful) were that not the case.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Bladez22
Joyo, Nobles, the mini TC range, Mooer. Reverb.com/Ebay for 2nd hand stuff can get some decent deals there
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
Mayones Regius 7 Buckeye Burl
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Fender American Standard Tele
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special
Bugera 333
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Line 6 PodHD500
I could be wrong but I don't see you getting voodoo labs or visual sound pedals as cheap as that in the UK, since they're dearer here to start with (and also rarer, which is possibly related to the fact they're dearer ).

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Maybe so. Having owned a few I don't think they're any worse than pretty much anything else in their price range, though I do think that spending a relatively small amount extra can get you the same kind of thing with noticeably nicer construction (probably the best direct comparison would be Small Stone to Phase 90), and that EHX's construction, relatively consistent across their various price ranges as it is, doesn't really meet expectations when things get close to £100, even if the features and sounds impress. I think EHX is possibly held to an unfair standard in that regard since they have a certain reputation from their classic pedals that Joyo and the like don't, even though EHX is, and always has been, a budget pedal company.

Or I could be totally wrong in that regard. Even so, I've owned four, I currently own two and I regret selling one. In the £20-40 range that many of their models sell for used, I feel confident saying they're the among the best that can be had at that price, and I find they're often a great way of getting used to what a good example of such-and-such effect sounds like before shelling out for a more expensive one.

mine have been fine too (that's only with home use, though). i know there were a lot of complaints over at the fretboard about pedals just dying, andd people seemed to be saying the switches etc. were very cheap and kind of prone to failure. that's getting beyond my pay grade I know some of the boss stuff, for example, or the digitech/hardwires, were in the same price bracket as the ehx stuff, though that's probably not a fair comparison because only really the drive pedals are in the same price bracket- boss and digitech don't do an analogue chorus or phaser at the same price point as the neo clone or small stone.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Aug 7, 2016,
Quote by Dave_Mc
mine have been fine too (that's only with home use, though). i know there were a lot of complaints over at the fretboard about pedals just dying, andd people seemed to be saying the switches etc. were very cheap and kind of prone to failure. that's getting beyond my pay grade I know some of the boss stuff, for example, or the digitech/hardwires, were in the same price bracket as the ehx stuff, though that's probably not a fair comparison because only really the drive pedals are in the same price bracket- boss and digitech don't do an analogue chorus or phaser at the same price point as the neo clone or small stone.
Yeah, it's entirely possible. Switches and jacks on EHX stuff look pretty easy to replace, though.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Bladez22
i have no idea. that does assume that you're capable of doing that, though. not everyone is.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Dave_Mc
I mean I talk about it like it's no big deal but I wouldn't know which end of a soldering iron was which till I picked it up by the wrong one.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Bladez22
Quote by K33nbl4d3
Dave_Mc
I mean I talk about it like it's no big deal but I wouldn't know which end of a soldering iron was which till I picked it up by the wrong one.

the hot end is the part you don't touch
Quote by monwobobbo
the hot end is the part you don't touch

Oh.

Well THAT explains EVERYTHING!!!

Joyo/Harley Benton make some great clones.
Personally I have the Ultimate Drive (OCD clone) and the Vintage Phase (Phase 90 clone). Not having compared it to the OCD myself, a lot of people say it's a very good clone. The phaser was a purchase I did solely because I was in need of a phase but didn't have the time to research nor did I have a lot of money to spend.
I like them both a lot and they're so cheap it's basically free. From my experiences they are also very durable, been bringing them to gigs without a pedal case of any sort and the metal casing doesn't feel cheap at all.
monwobobbo
Which is why I reckon I'd eventually figure out which was which once I'd picked it up.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Bladez22
^ lol

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Dave_Mc

hahahahaha same here
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
monwobobbo Yep,the Joyo compressor is great,not a really tight squeeze for chicken pickin' but it'll do hard rock solo's a favour and has character too and sounds less synthetic than a Boss. I tried the digital chorus which does 80's glam rock in spades and seems to add a bit of a volume boost too,faultless if you like that stuff. I have a d.I box too that goes between amp and cab and takes a line out from that point if your amp head doesn't have a line out,very useful and cheap rip off of a Suhr device. Some of their stuff is great. I didn't like the Joyo digital delay though.
Last edited by guitar-name at Aug 8, 2016,
Quote by USCENDONE BENE
I think Ibanez said they were putting prices up 10% this month in the UK, i'm sure others are doing something similar.

Also I don't know about anyone else but I almost always feel more confident buying a used pedal from a reliable brand than a new pedal at the same price from one of the knockoff brands, even without the warranty.

wise words.

out of my 30 plus pedals, i may have bought three new. never had a problem, but i haven't ever bought a knockoff. that could be part of the reasons why i haven't had any problems.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
wise words.

out of my 30 plus pedals, i may have bought three new. never had a problem, but i haven't ever bought a knockoff. that could be part of the reasons why i haven't had any problems.

Ditto on the knockoffs.