Page 1 of 2
First off, not meaning to offend with this.

I've always thought that 'transgender' was the appropriate and inoffensive word to use in regards to people who identify that way, but recently learned that 'transgendered' was offensive and derogatory, as well as the term 'intersexual.' I know less about intersex and what the correct term is, and kind of understand why intersexual is offensive since 'sexual' refers to sexual preference whereas intersex doesn't (I think?).

Anywho, just looking for any background on the origin of these words being offensive.
My God, it's full of stars!
As a heterosexual white male I'm deeply offended by this thread.
iirc from a GG92 post, transgenderED sounds like something happened to them that made them transgender, and that's offensive.

idk what intersex is
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by ErikLensherr
iirc from a GG92 post, transgenderED sounds like something happened to them that made them transgender, and that's offensive.

idk what intersex is

Intersex are people who physically don't fit into the two general sexual categories of male and female. We used to use the term "hermaphrodite" but that's not really in vogue these days.
Quote by iwannabesedated
Intersex are people who physically don't fit into the two general sexual categories of male and female. We used to use the term "hermaphrodite" but that's not really in vogue these days.

I thought a hermaphrodite had both physical sets of genitalia, but a person who identified as intersex just had sexual characteristics of neither gender? I could be totally wrong tho....not really my strong point.
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
‘Cause there's nothing here for you my dear
And everything must pass
A lot of transgender people especially the ones that have undergone gender reassignment absolutely do not like being referred to as transgender/transgendered because it reminds them they weren't born as their actual/preferred gender/sex.
Quote by i_lovemetallica
I thought a hermaphrodite had both physical sets of genitalia, but a person who identified as intersex just had sexual characteristics of neither gender? I could be totally wrong tho....not really my strong point.

So what are they like a Ken doll down there?
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by ErikLensherr
So what are they like a Ken doll down there?

Oh fucked if I know, like I said, not really in my Bailiwick
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
And everything must pass
tbh its all kinda confusing to me as far as terminology goes. i just dont really care what you identify as. ill try and not be a dick about it.

(unless youre one of these people identifying as a squrrel etc. you need pschiatric help.)

i usually just sit back and watch my friends ask dumb questions and receive equally dumb answers.

then one of them brings up Milo and i just turn off and attempt to finish a beer fast ebough in the hope itll strike me deaf.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Quote by Dreadnought
First off, not meaning to offend with this.

I've always thought that 'transgender' was the appropriate and inoffensive word to use in regards to people who identify that way, but recently learned that 'transgendered' was offensive and derogatory, as well as the term 'intersexual.' I know less about intersex and what the correct term is, and kind of understand why intersexual is offensive since 'sexual' refers to sexual preference whereas intersex doesn't (I think?).

Anywho, just looking for any background on the origin of these words being offensive.

Intersex people were born physically intersex, so it has nothing to do with their sexuality. I haven't heard it referred to as derogatory but it's just a mischaracterization. Transgendered has a history of being derogatory since it's used to infer that their identity is a disease that happens to you. Generally, gender identities aren't verbs.

Quote by bradulator

You're a soup can.
Transgendered has a legitimate history. Intersexual is just another in the long line of people conflating geno and pheno.

Honestly at this point how you refer to people and whether the term is still appropriate or not to someone depends on so many variables that it's better to use grunts or just gaps of silence where the more Tumblr of folks are concerned, lest you look like a Hitlerized Jeremy Clarkson.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Quote by MeTallIcA313
Not gonna lie, this stuff really confuses me.

IT IS ALL SO PEDANTICALLY COMPLICATED
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
i think this is more about being "politically correct" i feel most gay people don't mind the term gay , 40 years ago it was a term for happy

it's not like N word for .. African Americans ( is that the right term ?) that has Strong negative slavery meanings But at the same time they used the N word between themselves ?!?

and if you want to get into details about someones special "Gayness type" well your inviting trouble on many levels ( what ever term you invent people will misuse and misinterpret. I have inlaws and friends that are gay, we simply talk about lot of things but never what they preferred to be called by third party of strangers.

and if your the 90% of people giving the term gay to the 10% who are different sexual ,. why not take then term "Gay" better then debating when someone calls you gay and hit back with,. no I'm %!$%#*asexual I like to suck animals on Sundays but prefer women on Mondays and being slapped on Tuesday, Men in leather on Wednesdays and only do me one way and do me the other on Friday but have to go for &%^^$^ on Saturday and best not to say what i did Thursday. ( or what ever way you prefer or like to be different )

the world is confusing for "normal" people in "normal" relationships that are having a terrible understand the other person they have been with for months or even years. ( i say this as a I'm a man and on my second wife and your females are VERY hard to work out !! )

("normal" is a BS term there is NO normal anywhere it's a Disney dream I think many Gay relationship are more positive then most Heterosexual relationships )
Last edited by T4D at Aug 7, 2016,
what

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
I am also confus
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
I just refer to them as you know, people.

At least transgender is a somewhat well known word; as someone with transgender friends and so on I've never actually come across the term 'intersex' or 'intersexual'. They're completely brand new words to me, and it's not like we need another term. 'Intersexual' sounds too complicated for an insult for a person that finds LTBGQ offensive - I imagine they'd prefer to just straight up call them 'fags' or 'lady boys' or something along those lines. A wider group of people knows what fag etc means, 'intersexual' is quite non-descript for an insult.

Linguistically speaking the term 'intersexual' is a complete fuck up of the English language. Intersexual? What does that even mean? Inside sex? To be frank it sounds more like some bullshit term someone on a blog came up with, given how nonsensical it is.

If anything I would attribute 'intersex' as a by-word for 'inner sex', which would describe your inner sexual identification regardless of your actual gender. So to me, working out your 'inner sex' is the step before selecting a specific gender identity. So you can be male but have an 'inner sex' that you could feel is better suited to being female, which could later down the line make you identify as transgender?

It's highly confusing if you're not in the circle of LGBTQ because I'm not part of that daily conversation aside from giving my support. Not to add another dimension to this but it does draw a parallel to feminism where there are now so many terms and so many different degrees of 'feminism' where you have people who just generally want better rights for women, to people who are like ultra nationalists and are super aggressive and abrasive about it (both for and against) and everything in between.

Transgender is a perfectly good word that the community - as is my understanding - have accepted as appropriate. Let's just stick with that otherwise we'll start getting into linguistical traps like 'have you stopped beating your wife?'
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
You're thinking of 'intra', 'inter' works just fine in that sense.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
inter-

a prefix occurring in loanwords from Latin, where it meant “between,” “among,” “in the midst of,” “mutually,” “reciprocally,” “together,” “during” ( intercept; interest); on this model, used in the formation of compound words ( intercom; interdepartmental).

intra-

a prefix meaning “within,” used in the formation of compound words:
intramural.

See intramolecular and intermolecular for instance.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
Quote by JamSessionFreak
You're thinking of 'intra', 'inter' works just fine in that sense.

They mean the same thing? Both are latin based but one sprung off into the French lexicon then bounced back. Intra means a literal 'within' whereas inter means a literal 'between' or 'among'. I suppose at a stretch intra means singular/individual and inter means between two related groups, but even then it can still mean intra =/= inter.

Intersexuality in the sense of between two groups either means hermaphrodite from a physical sense, or as someone who identifies as multiple as multiple genders? But then again, isn't that just hermaphrodite? Or, in a broader sense, just transgender? So intersexual =/= transgender?

I fail to see the need to add another word into this confusing mix, and why it would be so important to have a distinction between transgender and intersexual.
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
Quote by imdeth
Can we have a word for people who get offended over the misuse of words relating to sexuality?

Whats the point of doing that?
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
Dready, you should delete this thread and save these dummies some face.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
The irony in Dread asking for knowledgeable people in the title when the thread is filled with anything but.
Quote by imdeth
Can we have a word for people who get offended over the misuse of words relating to sexuality?

Y'know, like homos or something?

Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
And everything must pass
Quote by BelowTheSun
The irony in Dread asking for knowledgeable people in the title when the thread is filled with anything but.

what's ironic about it?
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
whole thing is a minefield and everyone seems to have their own preference on how they describe themselves down to preferred pronouns.

best just to STFU until the individual let's you know in my opinion.
I really just try to be as neutral as possible but then sometimes I still get yelled at cause I mess up then I just say sorry and pretend it never happened instead of just never talking to them again for being an asshole about it.

But I mean, you do you

The worst is if you accidentally type he when you meant she cause you didn't actually press the s hard enough, so neutral is theway to go instead of actually trying
One of the third friendliest users
Stratkat's pet

Quote by Momentosis
Void is a wanker that's why

In Australia, an all girls school apparently told all their teachers to use gender neutral language to avoid them being sued....the stupid was strong with that one.
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
And everything must pass
Quote by Anthony1991
I just refer to them as you know, people.

At least transgender is a somewhat well known word; as someone with transgender friends and so on I've never actually come across the term 'intersex' or 'intersexual'. They're completely brand new words to me, and it's not like we need another term. 'Intersexual' sounds too complicated for an insult for a person that finds LTBGQ offensive - I imagine they'd prefer to just straight up call them 'fags' or 'lady boys' or something along those lines. A wider group of people knows what fag etc means, 'intersexual' is quite non-descript for an insult.

Linguistically speaking the term 'intersexual' is a complete fuck up of the English language. Intersexual? What does that even mean? Inside sex? To be frank it sounds more like some bullshit term someone on a blog came up with, given how nonsensical it is.

If anything I would attribute 'intersex' as a by-word for 'inner sex', which would describe your inner sexual identification regardless of your actual gender. So to me, working out your 'inner sex' is the step before selecting a specific gender identity. So you can be male but have an 'inner sex' that you could feel is better suited to being female, which could later down the line make you identify as transgender?

It's highly confusing if you're not in the circle of LGBTQ because I'm not part of that daily conversation aside from giving my support. Not to add another dimension to this but it does draw a parallel to feminism where there are now so many terms and so many different degrees of 'feminism' where you have people who just generally want better rights for women, to people who are like ultra nationalists and are super aggressive and abrasive about it (both for and against) and everything in between.

Transgender is a perfectly good word that the community - as is my understanding - have accepted as appropriate. Let's just stick with that otherwise we'll start getting into linguistical traps like 'have you stopped beating your wife?'

Intersex and trans people are not the same. Intersex people were born with ambiguous genitalia. Transgender people have a different gender identity to their sex. Two wildly different things that might occasionally overlap. Like how some trans men are gay, but homosexuality and transgenderism aren't the same thing.

The people I hear saying they might as well be the same probably don't care cuz, yknow, it ain't them.
Last edited by ali.guitarkid7 at Aug 7, 2016,
I think some people are being grammar Nazis to some extent, honestly.

If I said "I'm a bi", every native speaker would know that I meant "I'm a bi person", and "bi" still functions as an adjective.

However, I understand the disapproval with "I'm a transgendered" as a deverbalized adjective. Transgender was never a verb or process (perhaps a process to come to recognize, but that's something different). It's more stative, like "he is Portuguese" or "I am tall".

Also, "look at all those transgenders" carries some measure of condescension to me. I'm not sure if it's because of "transgenders", though, or if "all those" is responsible for most, if not all, of it.

But if people claimed the moniker "The Transgenders" and were of inferior quality, "all those Transgenders" may fit, albeit as a proper noun.
In Australia, an all girls school apparently told all their teachers to use gender neutral language to avoid them being sued....the stupid was strong with that one.

I hope someone sued them for not respecting white hetero cis females rights to be refered to as "she".
People that stress about labels should be offended. You shouldn't want to be defined. If you love it in your butt and soggy balls in your mouth, don't label yourself, just let it be. That's the lost line of Paul McCRtney.
Quote by Anthony1991
They mean the same thing? Both are latin based but one sprung off into the French lexicon then bounced back. Intra means a literal 'within' whereas inter means a literal 'between' or 'among'. I suppose at a stretch intra means singular/individual and inter means between two related groups, but even then it can still mean intra =/= inter.

No, they don't. They're used with different conotations both in academic, scientific usage and in layman's speech. I don't care if this is true to the way they were used in Latin and French because their origin is irrelevant, they might as well come from the Vietnamese word for anal fissure, their meaning would still not be the same - I already gave you an example.

And this is coming from someone who looks at etymology maps in his spare time.

As for the usage of inter- in the discussed context, I don't know or care whether it's necessary or not but according to ali's definition of the term, and I trust him to know his shit about said topic, inter- is used in a perfectly valid way.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
Last edited by JamSessionFreak at Aug 7, 2016,
Page 1 of 2