Hey guys im about to buy a new guitar and cant decide which guitar is the best for me
I now own an ibanez rg421mol with fender champ20
I usually play rhcp,gnr,kol and basiclly all kinds of rock but i would like to enter the blues world
I cant decide between the epiphone lp plus top pro , tele with humbecker or strat hss or g&l asat
Ive played the lp and found it comfortable, i guess the start will feel something like my ibanez..

But putting the comfortness aside- which is the right for me?
I would say you are who knows what fits you the most.Just go and try them all out.
If you cant try them the strat will be a good choice for blues (not rock).As for its feeling
you have to compare and contrast with your guitar most these ;
Scale lenght
String Spacing
Fretboard Radius (not such a big difference)
Neck shape
And last but not least you should find out your ibanez tremolo model.Many ibanezes nowdays have ibanez-made tremolos built for extremely low action.You wont be able to have this action on neither of these guitars you are looking.
Good luck
The guitar that suits you the best is the one you like playing best
Quote by DHF1234
If you cant try them the strat will be a good choice for blues (not rock).

That generalisation has some basis in reality, but phrased in that way it's simply untrue. A singlecoil Strat wouldn't be everyone's first choice for metal, and the fretboard radius makes it difficult to get the incredibly low action shredders tend to like. However, even with singlecoils it's still a perfectly viable choice - look at Yngwie Malmsteen, who uses vintage singlecoils on vintage Strats. Once you include guitars with humbuckers you've got people like Dave Murray, Thobbe Englund or Glenn Tipton who've used their fair share, just off the top of my head. The same is true even of Teles - take John 5. If you want to go into rock territory the number of people who've used even totally traditional Strats expands vastly - John Frusciante of RHCP, Hendrix of course. Hundreds. The idea that it wouldn't be a good choice for rock is outright incorrect, and all the more so for the vast range of different features you can get on Strats these days. There's a reason the shred guitars of the '80s were adapted from the Strat design - it's comfortable for riffing.

Humbuckers are generally preferred for distorted sounds, but people who live with humbuckers all the time sometimes take that assumption too far and are surprised to learn how well a vintage Tele or Strat can take a bit of gain.
Quote by DHF1234
Fretboard Radius (not such a big difference)
Some people feel this difference more than others. Also bear in mind that the two inches between a 7.25" radius board and a 9.5" one is a much bigger difference in actual curvature than between a 12" and 14" one, which are both getting very close to flat.
Quote by DHF1234
And last but not least you should find out your ibanez tremolo model.Many ibanezes nowdays have ibanez-made tremolos built for extremely low action.You wont be able to have this action on neither of these guitars you are looking.
I'm not sure where you got that idea from but it sounds like outright misinformation to me. Nearly any bridge* with its string radius matched to the fretboard, or adjustable saddle height, can get action as low as any other. Whether that action is usable for actual playing is dependent on the neck relief (which is adjustable), the fretwork (which is a matter of quality control but can be improved if it's lacking) and the neck radius. Of those, only neck radius is really an inherent property of the instrument.

*Excepting those with an inadequate range of movement, but few if any common bridge styles have that problem.

Quote by eldar95
I cant decide between the epiphone lp plus top pro , tele with humbecker or strat hss or g&l asat

Those are all radically different body shapes (except the Tele and the ASAT). Your best bet is to get a feel for which ones you find most comfortable to play (including standing up, if you intend to perform - both my guitars are Teles and I find Jaguars much more comfortable sitting down but I love how the Teles feel standing up). Pickup swaps can make pretty much any guitar sound good for any style, so the main thing is that it feels good, looks good, generally inspires you to want to make music.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 
Last edited by K33nbl4d3 at Aug 7, 2016,
I'm a strat player and believe me you can play metal with them. are they the first choice (we're talking single coils) no but they can work. metal of course is a pretty broad term these days so it does depend on how you want to define it. having super low action has little to do with being able to shred and not all guys who do have it. choosing a guitar is all about what works for you and that should be the first consideration. just because someone else uses a certain guitar doesn't mean that it will be ideal for you. play as many as you can and find the one that works. don't limit yourself as you never know what might be the one for you. case in point I play a BC Rich Eagle which handles my humbucker needs. I often use it to play blues rock like Eric Clapton did back in his Bluesbreaker days as well as Peter Green from the same time period. both of them used Les Pauls but as much as I like the sound and look they don't work for me playing wise. never had even considered the Eagle until one day I tried one cux I never had and surprise it was great and I knew I had to have it.

keep your options open and have an open mind.

by the way both Glen Tipton and KK Downing use SSS strats in Judas Priest you can see a vid of KK playing one on the song The Sinner on youtube.
Quote by monwobobbo
never had even considered the Eagle until one day I tried one cux I never had and surprise it was great and I knew I had to have it.

keep your options open and have an open mind.
Yeah, obviously suiting a given style is a valid concern but when push comes to shove you've got to get guitars that suit you. I went through all sorts of cheap models of various shapes and sizes before I decided I wanted a real Fender and considered Telecasters solely because I figured a simpler guitar meant more for the money. Next thing I knew everything I wanted was a Tele

Quote by monwobobbo
by the way both Glen Tipton and KK Downing use SSS strats in Judas Priest you can see a vid of KK playing one on the song The Sinner on youtube.
Great video, that Yeah, thinking about it they were both pretty prolific users of those before KK got more into his V's and Glenn his Hamers.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan
Quote by K33nbl4d3
Yeah, obviously suiting a given style is a valid concern but when push comes to shove you've got to get guitars that suit you. I went through all sorts of cheap models of various shapes and sizes before I decided I wanted a real Fender and considered Telecasters solely because I figured a simpler guitar meant more for the money. Next thing I knew everything I wanted was a Tele

Great video, that Yeah, thinking about it they were both pretty prolific users of those before KK got more into his V's and Glenn his Hamers.

yeah I just try to advise people not to fall into traps when it comes to gear. guys always seem to ask for a "metal guitar" or a "blues guitar" but there really isn't a guitar that is that. sure you need specs that can suite a genre but again you don't want to limit yourself if you don't have to. the Les Paul was designed to be a jazz guitar but one day Eric Clapton picks one up and what do you know it's good for blues rock and many would say more so than jazz. sometimes you just have to dare to be different (but not lose your mind doing so)

I make it a point to try as many different styles of guitars as I can. even if I'm pretty sure there is no way I'd buy one I like the experience. I have bought a coupe of guitars that I would have never thought to get because of this.

yeah love that vid and saw Priest at a few early shows when they were using strats and gibby Vs and SGs. they sounded their best if you ask me
Yep. These guys are doing it ALL wrong!

Mike Hampton plays funk on BC Rich guitars

John 5 likes Telecasters for metal

Lonnie Mack plays Blues & C&W on Flying Vs
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Aug 7, 2016,
Get the Tele, and maybe while you are shopping, step up your amp as well.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Definitely a red one.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Im not able to edit my comment so..
Ill go and check out some starts and teles
Which sound you guys like better- hss or sss in strats? Singles or hambecker in teles?
What about the g&ls? Ive heard theyre better than mim start or tele
I personally like HSS in strat types, as I've never seen the use of the single bridge pickup, except in the #2 switch position. My all-round favourite guitar is a very cheap Peavey in HSS.

Apart from that one, I'm a fan of P90 type (adjustable pole SCs in general) pickups. This G&L Z-coil (a P90 type in my classification) appeals to me:

http://www.glguitars.com/instruments/TributeSeries/guitars/Comanche_new/index.asp
Quote by eldar95
Im not able to edit my comment so..
Ill go and check out some starts and teles
Which sound you guys like better- hss or sss in strats? Singles or hambecker in teles?

I also have an RG421 and want to upgrade to either a Les Paul, Tele or Strat.
Will probably go for a Les Paul because I'm positive that that's what'll make me happy & play the most.
However, the "best" choice is really up to preference.
Do you want to ONLY use the guitar for blues?
Do you prefer a bright or a warm sound?
If I'd go for a Strat, I'd choose Fender MIM HSS Strat, just because I am more into Humbuckers and like the versatility.
Can you try the guitars out?
Last edited by juvion at Aug 7, 2016,
Go try a bunch of guitars out, let the eye decided which ones to try.
That's in my opinion the best way to find one that feels right. A bunch of musicians on the internet can't do more than tell you which ones sound a certain way really. They can't predict your feelings about a specific guitar.

"A guitar should make you want to pick it up and play it just by looking at it" is something I believe Rob Chapman said, and I for once agree with him.
Quote by eldar95

Totally subjective. I - as primarily a Tele player - prefer singlecoils in everything, they generally sound brighter which suits me but the tradeoff is that they have lower output and less bass and mids (to an extent, amp and pedal EQs can compensate for that if I need them to). Also, traditional singlecoils produce more unwanted noise than humbuckers, although noiseless models do exist.

Quote by eldar95
They're great stuff, from what I hear, which you may or may not prefer. Their Tribute models do certainly make a tempting deal.

Quote by juliusxxrock
Go try a bunch of guitars out, let the eye decided which ones to try.
That's in my opinion the best way to find one that feels right. A bunch of musicians on the internet can't do more than tell you which ones sound a certain way really. They can't predict your feelings about a specific guitar.

"A guitar should make you want to pick it up and play it just by looking at it" is something I believe Rob Chapman said, and I for once agree with him.
I think that's sound advice. The guitar with features perfectly suited to your style might not be the guitar you want to play, and given the choice the latter is probably the one you're going to play.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan
G&L makes good guitars, at least as good value for money as Fenders.

I am generally NOT a fan of the standard SSS for myself. Give me a HB, P90 or something else in that bridge. I only own one SSS guitar, and it is a hollowbody.

A 390 guitar, OTOH, is a different story...
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Aug 7, 2016,
dannyalcatraz
Even I have a hard time justifying the bridge singlecoil, to be fair. Only that I use it more than I'd use a humbucker in that position (which is very little). If only the Esquire had been invented the other way round.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan
i use my bridge pickup on my strats all the time. all about how you get your amps tone and where you set the tone on your overdrive.
Quote by monwobobbo
i use my bridge pickup on my strats all the time. all about how you get your amps tone and where you set the tone on your overdrive.
Yeah, to be fair I do use it a bit more when I'm using overdrive, but I much prefer the neck for fuzz and cleans, which is about 90% of my time playing. I'd miss the middle position as it is, though, if I stuck a big old humbucker in that ashtray.

(For the record, when it comes to personal experience I'm always talking Teles unless otherwise noted I haven't owned anything else for about a year)
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan
Last edited by K33nbl4d3 at Aug 8, 2016,
Quote by K33nbl4d3
Yeah, to be fair I do use it a bit more when I'm using overdrive, but I much prefer the neck for fuzz and cleans, which is about 90% of my time playing. I'd miss the middle position as it is, though, if I stuck a big old humbucker in that ashtray.

(For the record, when it comes to personal experience I'm always talking Teles unless otherwise noted I haven't owned anything else for about a year)

I don't really use a lot of clean sounds in the "fender cleans" dept. sure on the clean channel of my amp without a fair bit of eqing the bridge pup is really trebly. of course the tone control mod works pretty well so it's not a tough fix.

tele's huh well no one is perfect
I use my bridge pickups, too...just not a fan of the SSS.

dannyalcatraz Please don't suggest a B.C. Rich Warlock. It was my first guitar and it weights as much as a cinderblock and the stock pickups are trash. Unless you're dropping big bucks, you'll get a crappy guitar.
I wasn't suggesting a BC Rich. I was illustrating monwobobbo's point about the fallacious line of thought on "metal guitars", "blues guitars", etc., with real world examples of guitarists who play what they play on whatever the hell they want, regardless of brand or appearance.

I'd say find a place to play them all or if not possible at least watch demos using similar amps as you on something with good sound quality.... personally I'd use some kind of strat for that style
luke.g.henderso I played one of them years ago. Funny enough for I cheaper strat it was the only one I liked....it was a friend and they played a variety of rock songs and actually one of them was ducking with a rhcp tune and it sounded pretty good. That guitar is pretty good bang for the buck, at least in my opinion.