I like my ProCo You Dirty Rat but I am sizing down the pedalboard and would like something that sounds similar with a smaller footprint. The MXR size should work. I use it only for solos for a thick lead sound. I always drive it with a Dynacomp. What fuzz pedals would you suggest?
http://tonereport.com/blogs/tone-tips/rad-rat-clones VFE alpha dog, mooer black secret. few others listed here too.
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
^ yeah if you know you like a rat there are certainly cheaper, smaller clones available.

of course if you want a change that's ok too- but before racking our brains to think of stuff we'll wait until you tell us you want a change
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I would not mind something that sounds a bit different. But, the pedal would not be the first in the chain and fuzz face clones usually require to be placed first. I would like something that would give me a comression for lead playing. Something that is smooth and not too brittle scratchy sounding with high frequencies.
EHX makes the Nano Muff (sounds like a Muff, because it's a Muff), which is pretty cheap, MXR makes the La Machine - which is pretty expensive - and the Blue Box - which is pretty cheap (they're octave-up and two-octave-down fuzzes, respectively; both can get a bit wacky), DopeFX make a Muff clone with a 3-band EQ, the Earth Dweller, and the Iron Lung (which I have no idea if it's a clone or not, but it sounds great), both at an eminently reasonable £70.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Aug 7, 2016,
Quote by Gab_Azz
I would not mind something that sounds a bit different. But, the pedal would not be the first in the chain and fuzz face clones usually require to be placed first. I would like something that would give me a comression for lead playing. Something that is smooth and not too brittle scratchy sounding with high frequencies.

yeah. that's a good point about the fuzz face. there might well be some FF style pedals which can go anywhere, but yeah straight clones like to be first.

muff might be worth a shout as K33nbl4d3 says, but it's more of a fuzz than a distortion, i'd say. and a bit boomy/wooly on the bass like a lot of fuzzes- although the rat gets kind of fuzzy, it's more of a distortion which can get fuzzy if you turn the gain up, and its bass is pretty tight (i don't have a pro co version, i have the mooer black secret, i'm assuming they're fairly similar).

it's that usual dilemma, do you get something you know you like but which doesn't feel so much like something new, or do you get something new which is more fun but which might not work for what you want? i guess though if you buy from a store with a return policy you could always send it back if you don't like it...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Aug 8, 2016,
Quote by Dave_Mc
muff might be worth a shout as K33nbl4d3 says, but it's more of a fuzz than a distortion, i'd say. and a bit boomy/wooly on the bass like a lot of fuzzes
That's eminently true, and if I meant to use a Muff in a band situation I'd want to put the mids back in with a Tubescreamer in front of it (otherwise a Muff's settings are indistinct-but-gorgeous and buzzy-and-nasty). That's why I suggested the DopeFX Earth Dweller too - same circuit (specifically a green Russian, which already isn't quite so like that as the NYC reissue) but with a three band EQ that can not only rescue the Muff from the cool-but-useless pile but make pretty viable as a distortion. And just as small as the Nano Big Muff, made by a nice dude in England for a reasonable price.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Last edited by K33nbl4d3 at Aug 8, 2016,
cmatmods ratified? i haven't tried one personally, but i have four or five cmatmods pedals and they are great, i wouldn't hesitate to get one if i needed one.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I have a TS9 on the board that I could place after a muff. I am used to the Rat. Should I get a rat clone or would the FF or BM work? I am only using the pedal for lead playing.
I got a Bass Big Muff for my guitar rig, they do a nano version too now. Not sure if it's worth a listen to?
Quote by Gab_Azz
I have a TS9 on the board that I could place after a muff. I am used to the Rat. Should I get a rat clone or would the FF or BM work? I am only using the pedal for lead playing.
This is kind of the point at which it's up to you. Do you know what a Muff sounds like? Do you like it? A Tube Screamer into a Muff basically just sounds like a Muff but with more sustain and mids, since the Muff compresses the bejesus out of what comes out of the TS. If you like the Muff sound you'll have a hard time being disappointed by that, if you want a more modern distortion sound then a Rat clone or an EQ-able Muff or something else altogether might suit you better.
Quote by luke.g.henderso
I got a Bass Big Muff for my guitar rig, they do a nano version too now. Not sure if it's worth a listen to?
Rumour has it the thing is close to the Green Russian Muff circuit. Rumour's often full of shit, so who knows if that's true, but certainly the Bass Big Muff is also perfectly usable for guitar and has a different sound to the regular NYC Reissue. All Muffs have the mid scoop, though, so you'd probably still need to stick those mids back in to get something usable in a band situation.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Bladez22
^ yep agreed that at that point it's basically up to him. i realise that's no help but unfortunately once you get to a certain point you kind of have to make your own mind up.

and yeah i think the bass one is based on the russian one. http://www.kitrae.net/music/big_muff_history3.html (about halfway down the page)

Quote by K33nbl4d3
That's eminently true, and if I meant to use a Muff in a band situation I'd want to put the mids back in with a Tubescreamer in front of it (otherwise a Muff's settings are indistinct-but-gorgeous and buzzy-and-nasty). That's why I suggested the DopeFX Earth Dweller too - same circuit (specifically a green Russian, which already isn't quite so like that as the NYC reissue) but with a three band EQ that can not only rescue the Muff from the cool-but-useless pile but make pretty viable as a distortion. And just as small as the Nano Big Muff, made by a nice dude in England for a reasonable price.

yeah (i haven't tried the dopefx one)
Quote by trashedlostfdup
cmatmods ratified? i haven't tried one personally, but i have four or five cmatmods pedals and they are great, i wouldn't hesitate to get one if i needed one.

they're dearish here, like most USA stuff.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?