Page 1 of 3
Hello there! I recently discovered slipknot and I absolutely love their music, as I'm very into metal (More recently nu metal) and I've discovered they've got some heavy-sounding stuff that appeals to me. Why do people think Slipknot are "not metal"? I see a lot of comments on their videos about people complaining that they're not real metal because they're not like Iron Maiden or Metallica (etc.). What are your thoughts on this?
Who needs shred when you've got rhythm guitar? :^)
Guitars:
Jackson King V (With a Wilde L500XL in the bridge)
Ibanez Iron Label RGIX27FEQM (7-string)
If you enjoy the music, then just listen to it. However, they're not considered true metal because true metal is an arbitrary restriction on what metal is respected within the underground community.

Slipknot are a nu-metal band, nu-metal is not respected in the underground community. That's the jist of it.
Last edited by severed-metal at Aug 7, 2016,
It's a sub-genre of Metal. You more or less answered your own question when labeling them as nu metal.
mmmmmmhmmm

That's exactly what I've been trying to say.

Quote by munkymanmatt
brilliant
No. Enjoy them if you want and without shame, but they are one of the fathers and leaders of Nu Metal, definitely one of the more blasting outfits of the genre.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,
I’m not ashamed to be white
Vi doede ikke... vi har aldri levd
Barbarism is the natural state of mankind
Civilization is unnatural

It is a whim of circumstance
an unenlightened one
Just google why. I'm pretty sure you can find over a decades worth of discussions about nu-metal, metalcore, alt metal, blah blah fucking blah not being real metal and actually just shitty banana bread recipes, so there's no point talking about it anymore. Either way, though, just listen to what you like and play pokemon go or something 'cause no one gives a fuck.
Nu-metal is not metal because it is much closer stylistically and has its roots in grunge and alternative rock, not metal. They don't magically become metal just because they tune their guitars lower and play louder.

Quote by HardAttack
It's a sub-genre of Metal. You more or less answered your own question when labeling them as nu metal.

Oh, thanks unknown new poster
O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

The music winners listen to
Like MHDrunk and many before him have said, Slipknot's music is rooted in alt-rock as opposed to metal. The 'metal' elements of their sound (harsh vox, guitar downtuning and guitar tone, etc. etc.) are purely aesthetic and have nothing to do with the note choices and riffs they play, which, like I said, have more in common with alt-rock than metal (the same can be said for all nu-metal imo)
What the hell are you guys talking about? Slipknot plays crossover thrash. They're from kind of around here so old people that were around then hold them in high regard I guess.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Last edited by theogonia777 at Aug 13, 2016,
i thought we already did the whole 'real metal bands sharing names with nu-garbage bands' thing in a different thread haha
O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

This "share" sounds like a very dirty word.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
sharing's caring, caring's for faggots

lol indeed
Quote by guitarhero_764
well they're way heavier than iron maiden or metallica lol

Fuck no. Heavy =/= downtuned guitars and distorted vocals or fast drumming. Slipknot barely even play chords that can be qualitatively described as touching anything close to early Metallica. Say what you want about Metallica's ultimate music destination, but those early records have playing that wreck other albums. It all comes down to James' playing, he down strokes everything he does and it gives it a wrecking ball level of heaviness. The guy must have iron tendons, that shit hurts. His playing has the chords and BALLS that Slipknot never plays with. And fuck anyone pretending they can get away with single note playing and call it "heavy" because lol distortion. Anyone with an ear for quality knows what is going on. Chords = Heavy!
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
Quote by VampireGoldfish
Fuck no. Heavy =/= downtuned guitars and distorted vocals or fast drumming. Slipknot barely even play chords that can be qualitatively described as touching anything close to early Metallica. Say what you want about Metallica's ultimate music destination, but those early records have playing that wreck other albums. It all comes down to James' playing, he down strokes everything he does and it gives it a wrecking ball level of heaviness. The guy must have iron tendons, that shit hurts. His playing has the chords and BALLS that Slipknot never plays with. And fuck anyone pretending they can get away with single note playing and call it "heavy" because lol distortion. Anyone with an ear for quality knows what is going on. Chords = Heavy!
Man have you even listened to Slipknot? It's some seriously heavy shit. First of all the vocals are way heavier and more chaotic than Metallica's. The groove is more defined and really punches you in the face. The chord progressions are darker sounding. The production is a lot more menacing. And there's so many layers of shit going on in their songs that it really adds to the heaviness. The drumming is just fucking insane compared to Metallica's.

I'm not dissin on Metallica, but they're not as heavy as bands that came later (like Slipknot).
Last edited by guitarhero_764 at Aug 13, 2016,
Is this heavier than slipknot?

Fuck that. Slipknot is about as heavy as Hot Topic. Their sound is polished as hell with a squeaky clean studio sound and their "chords" are hardly ever actually chords. It's all single note picking. That's not heavy. Their "groove" doesn't appeal because I don't listen to Metal to butt-boogey. So many layers? Yeah and all of it is cut'n'paste studio trickery that I guess will trick some into thinking it is heavy. What I don't get is how someone who is on a guitar forum can think single note picking is heavy?

You seem to conflate Heavy for Angst and Mommy Issues.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
Last edited by VampireGoldfish at Aug 13, 2016,
Quote by VampireGoldfish
Fuck that. Slipknot is about as heavy as Hot Topic. Their sound is polished as hell with a squeaky clean studio sound and their "chords" are hardly ever actually chords. It's all single note picking. That's not heavy. Their "groove" doesn't appeal because I don't listen to Metal to butt-boogey. So many layers? Yeah and all of it is cut'n'paste studio trickery that I guess will trick some into thinking it is heavy. What I don't get is how someone who is on a guitar forum can think single note picking is heavy?

You seem to conflate Heavy for Angst and Mommy Issues.
Lol whatever dude I don't think you've actually listened to Slipknot.
And I don't think you're reading what I'm writing. You said "chord progressions." What chord progressions? No single note picking, please.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
I don't know what "single note picking" is. Playing notes? Lol I don't see what you could have against that.

And for the record, they do play power chords. Just like Metallica...and a billion other bands in the genre. I like the melodies they create with the scales that they use. It sounds dark and catchy and heavy as hell. I like the intensity of the screaming layered on top of the turntables and chaotic riffs. I like the fucking insane groove of the drums.
If you knew what it was maybe you'd understand Heavy!

Well we are on different planets in our appreciation of what constitutes heavy and Metal, this won't go much anywhere. Enjoy your Slipknot. No one else here does though as a friendly warning.

Like, no one.

Maybe a random passerby once in a bluemoon, like now for instance.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
Yeah too bad, cuz they've got some really good shit. I hear influences from death metal/grindcore/thrash/hip-hop/groove all over their sound and its a great mix. Especially their first two albums.
Yeah for me it just sounds too digital to be linked to Death/Grind/Thrash at all. It sounds more like Marilyn Manson or Linkin Park trying to play fast and loud. And the pathos of it all is worlds apart from the aforementioned genres. More power to you for digging it.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
Where on Earth do they have grindcore mixed in? Don't be silly. They've never touched even the sphere of grindcore, and I've listened to both Slipknot and grind. The former being a passion in my youth before metal (early material).
Quote by severed-metal
Where on Earth do they have grindcore mixed in? Don't be silly. They've never touched even the sphere of grindcore, and I've listened to both Slipknot and grind. The former being a passion in my youth before metal (early material).
I can hear some grind in People=Shit. I'm not saying it's grindcore, just that I can tell they were inspired by it.
Here we go again mutha fuckas

Man I am so reminded why this stuff doesn't ring well with me good lord haha.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
Quote by VampireGoldfish
Man I am so reminded why this stuff doesn't ring well with me good lord haha.
Too each his own I guess. It's all in good fun.
Quote by guitarhero_764
really punches you in the face.

funny you should say that because getting punched in the face is definitely preferable to listening to Slipknot okay
Quote by guitarhero_764
Another bad tune:

yeah they're all bad

This one makes my head wanna fall off:

when your head would rather fall off than to continue listening to middle school music you have to wonder why you keep listening in spite of it
Quote by theogonia777
when your head would rather fall off than to continue listening to middle school music you have to wonder why you keep listening in spite of it
I dunno man, I guess it's because of the eargasm it induces.
Last edited by guitarhero_764 at Aug 14, 2016,
You obviously just don't like music.
SO ARE THEY HEAVIER THAN INCANTATION OR NOT

Fookin 'evy

A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
Page 1 of 3