Which has a better tone/feel overall? I can get both for about $400.

Sorry if this is in the wrong place.
If you can get both, then get both.. $400 for two guitars is a good deal... unless I misunderstood the post.. maybe you should rephrase comment as, Vintage 84 Epiphone Explorer and LTD Lawsuit EXP are each priced at $400.. help me chose which one is better.

Now that is a tough question, which guitar do you see yourself playing.. another point to consider is guitar condition, and neck shape/thickness... good luck whichever you get.. post pictures.
I have Washburn guitars 'Maverick Series' and bass 'Bantam Series' and a few pedals and amps, but man I wish to have more patience and drive practicing my playing, if it's equal to the modding itch, then I'm golden.
LTD for $400? get that
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
Quote by psp742
If you can get both, then get both.. $400 for two guitars is a good deal... unless I misunderstood the post.. maybe you should rephrase comment as, Vintage 84 Epiphone Explorer and LTD Lawsuit EXP are each priced at $400.. help me chose which one is better.

Now that is a tough question, which guitar do you see yourself playing.. another point to consider is guitar condition, and neck shape/thickness... good luck whichever you get.. post pictures.

He is not talking about a 1984 Explorer (don't even think Epiphone made explorers in 84) the guitar's model is called the 84 explorer cause it is based on the specs of the early 80s Gibby ones that didn't have a pickguard.

Okay the big difference here is the LTD EXP lawsuit model is bolt on came with duncan designed pups and has different woods than a traditional explorer. The 84 is set mahogany body and neck, EMG active pickups etc...

Personally I would probably go for the Epiphone but if bragging rights were more important then I would maybe go for the lawsuit explorers (unless you're talking the snakebite or the ugly EX series that came after in which case I'd get the Epiphone.)

If you're worried about Hetfield specs, I would say the 84 is closer out of the box than the LTD but you won't go wrong with either.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I think out of those two, the Epiphone is the better guitar. Has better specs that are more faithful to a Gibson Explorer across the board.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by Necromansyr
I figured the Epiphone would be better quality but I see LTD's get trash-talked much less

Oh yeah, specific models or just in general?

Because I have not seen much (if any) hate on the 84 Explorer. If you're listening to generic "epiphone sucks" advice then I'd have to say you're gonna miss out on a lot of quality guitars for a good price.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
H4T3BR33D3RlH4T3BR33D3RI see. Mainly it was about the explorer but I think most of the threads were from 2007-10ish before the 1984 came out.
The best thing you can do is try them both and see what you like better but don't discount the Epiphone cause it's an Epiphone. Heck, don't discount any brand cause it's not a certain brand you expect it to be. You might find a lot of surprises.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
H4T3BR33D3RYeah. Thing is, I don't live in a state with a big music scene and a miniscule Metal scene so the stores kind of suck and I can't try anything I've had my eye on. The only metal guitars last time I went to my local GC were the lowest tier possible Warlock, the lowest tier Rhoads and a Snakebyte(far too pricey considering I've only been playing a little over a year).

Not to mention I haven't really developed a good ear for live tone either
Last edited by Necromansyr at Aug 8, 2016,
Well, I'm going to go for the Epiphone seeing as how everyone here pretty much unanimously suggested it and denounced all the "Gibson or nothing, you stupid NOOB!" advice I've seen in other threads.

Thanks, guys!
Honestly if more people played that particular LTD, you'd probably see just as much hate for it. You don't because they're not a popular model. Not because the guitar is better.

Epiphones get bashed mostly due to the bandwagon effect. If it's concerning the very cheap $200 ones, then what do you expect, any guitar that sells $200 new is going to be trash. But I'd consider the better Epiphones, while a bit inconsistently made, are generally very respectable compared to other brands in the same price range.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Aug 8, 2016,
I only played one Gibson explorer, it was when I was younger in my all out Metallica days and a store had one in, I was so pumped to try it - and it played horribly, not just for the price but just horribly in general. I have played and owned many guitars, most less expensive than that Gibson which are/were infinitely better and some of therm were Epiphones.

So to echo what has been said - brand name doesn't necessarily reflect the experience you will have with a guitar.
I know you've probably already chosen a guitar by now but here's some info for other's that may be facing the same choice...

I've got both. An alpine white Epiphone 1984 reissue and a black LTD EXP-200 (the model that say's "EXP-200" in the 12th fret inlay) and has had the EMG 81/60 combo installed.

The Epiphone is closer to the ESP MX-220 shape explorer, whereas the EXP is the larger ESP MX-250 shape. The size difference is noticeable when you play them.

The Epiphone is way lighter (weight) than the EXP so is more comfortable to play while standing up. Can't really compare them on quality because the EXP is 20+ years old but the fret work is still better on the EXP and the rosewood fingerboard on the EXP looks like a better quality peice. In my opinion, the EXP feel's like a more expensive and more robust guitar while playing it. That's not to say the Epiphone is crap, it's amazing quality for the price and doesn't sound like a cheap guitar.