I have a problem with my acoustic guitar...the 12th and 13th frets of the LowE string are making a weird noise and it hasn't a regular melody but the frets next to them are fine...wha'ts wrong?
Last edited by ZaoKin1998 at Aug 8, 2016,
Sounds like a twisted neck to me, but I'm no expert. I'm sure Tony or Cranky will hook you up.
Quote by ZaoKin1998
I have a problem with my acoustic guitar...the 12th and 13th frets of the LowE string are making a weird noise and it hasn't a regular melody but the frets next to them are fine...wha'ts wrong?

Bad fret(s) perhaps. Does it have a truss rod? And when is the last time you changed strings?

And *what* is the guitar (manufacturer, model if possible)?

Could be so many different things. How high is the action, for instance?
“High fly ball into right field. She is… gone!" - Vin Scully
TobusRex
But if the neck was twisted more than 2 frets would be damaged right?
Nonetheless,thank you for your opinion I will keep in touch
Quote by ZaoKin1998
TobusRex

If the neck was twisted you'd surely find more anomalies than the one on the "12th and 13th frets of the LowE string", methinks.
Standard_A440
Look...im a little useless with guitars cause I only play for 1 and half years so I don't know many things...A friend gave it to me so I don't know when he changed the strings...
The guitar's manufacturer is "Grante" and I don't know the model...However,the frets shouldn't be the problem cause the other ones,except 12th and 13th,are fine.
Quote by ZaoKin1998
Tony Done
So is there a way to fix it?

Yes, of course.

It may be as simple as a bridge adjustment.

Consider taking it in to a shop?
Standard_A440
Alright then..thank you guys that was really helpful. I will keep in touch for any progression.
Quote by ZaoKin1998
TobusRex

Hey, I'm an amateur
Quote by Tony Done
The body (14th) fret sometimes has a hump, so it could just be a high 14th fret. I wouldn't expect neck relief to have any effect that high on the neck, but twisting is a possibility.

You were actually right..I tried something fast just to test your theory...neck relief did nothing...however I slightly twisted the neck and the fret started to sound normal...next step is to go to an expert at a shop to fix the problem completely.Thank you all very much for you interest and I really like the forum so I'll stay.
Last edited by ZaoKin1998 at Aug 8, 2016,
ZaoKin1998 I pretty much just skimmed this thread BUT, did you sight along the neck to see if the fret board is indeed raised at, or somewhere near, where it joins the body?

That condition gives exactly the symptoms you describe. If you play near the nut, when strings are fretted, they don't pull down as far as the do when fretted at the top of the neck. Which is where the buzz comes in.

When half of the amount of total string excursion exceeds the center (at rest) string distance from any fret, you get buzz. Or in a worst case scenario, a mute.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Aug 8, 2016,
I have occasionally noticed this problem on some guitars where there was a rise of the fretboard at the neck/body joint. My fix was to file the offending frets level with their neighbors since I didn't notice any fret "lifting" but I suppose you could also try pounding on the fret where it is high to see if it will seat lower. Yes, the top of the fret will be widened unless re-shaped!
I currently have a Walden D610T the fretboard dives down from the neck/body junction to the soundhole depressing the upper bout there about 5/16", a very strange problem possibly a loose brace. The neck is otherwise straight with good relief and the action is good.
Last edited by skido13 at Aug 9, 2016,
Captaincranky
I actually did check if the fretboard is raised up..as it seems it isn't but..I've noticed that near the nut the strings are indeed almost touching the fretboard as the others near to the end of the neck are more raised up...but I thought that was normal.
skido13
I see what you're saying...this could be a solution too.. I guess I have a long discussion with the guy at the shop.
Quote by ZaoKin1998
I actually did check if the fretboard is raised up..as it seems it isn't but..I've noticed that near the nut the strings are indeed almost touching the fretboard as the others near to the end of the neck are more raised up...but I thought that was normal.

With the symptoms you're describing, the 12th & 13th frets almost must be high. If you finger the guitar that high on the neck, you more or less take twist out of the equation. So, are these frets making noise when you're playing the guitar down at the bottom of the neck, or at the higher frets?

Honestly, the only way to check for a warped or twisted neck is with a good straightedge. Even with one, if the fret board is radiused, it complicates the evaluation somewhat.

If the low E-6 string is indeed, "almost touching the 1st fret", the groove in the top nut might be too deep.

OK, we're all assuming the noise you hear is a "buzz". Is that what you hear? If so, the E-6 simply has to be too close to those frets.

If you have, or can borrow a set of feeler gauges, this guide will tell you approximately what the measurements should be, and that could tell us what's wrong, and possibly how to proceed. http://thbecker.net/guitar_playing/guitars_and_setup/setup_page_01.html

Try a borrow a straight edge also, if you don't have one. It should be in the area of 18" in length. Although a 2' straightedge, will better allow you to project the neck angle against the guitar top and bridge. (Although, the longer one would be more useful, with a different set of symptoms).
Last edited by Captaincranky at Aug 9, 2016,
Captaincranky
Ok this is kinda hard to understand mostly because I'm new on guitar plus I don't know good english cause Im greek.Although I can just transfer those suggestions from you guys to the professional at the shop and I'll alert you for any progression or problems. I hope he won't be useless and he'll know how to use feeler gauges or else I must do it myself with your instructions.
Last edited by ZaoKin1998 at Aug 9, 2016,