Can anyone recommend a software program that might allow me to take a song and split up the tracks so i can make backing tracks for myself? I wasnt sure if something like Garage band could do it. Id like to take a song from my Itunes and be able to turn down the guitar tracks so i can play over.

Thanks in advance.
Doesn't exist.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
This cannot be done. Unless you have access to the original tracks before they were mixed into a final master, it is what it is.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Sooo, yea- this cant exactly be done as neatly and nicely as you wish or imagine it could. However, there are a few different methods that (depending on the quality of the recording you are trying to split) can get you pretty far along.

For example - there is mid-side processing. Most daws have a plugin that will let you do mid-side eq or at least adjust volumes. You would want to turn down the volume on the sides, since guitars are usually panned out left and right.
Additionally, there is a vst by Soundtoys, i think, that lets you analyze the elements in a mix based on their location in the stereo width and where they sit in the frequency range. This is sort of the same logic as using mid-side eq to find the guitars, but it has a much nicer interface (although it aint free)
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote by wannabestoner69

Quote by GaryBillington
Doesn't exist.

+1

Roland has something that can kinda do it...ish. It's called R-Mix.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at Aug 9, 2016,
A popular analogy - You can't remove the eggs from a cake after it has been baked.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.